Anyone Uses Their Analog Synths Live w/ Soft Synths ?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
scope4live

Anyone Uses Their Analog Synths Live w/ Soft Synths ?

Post by scope4live » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:59 am

I like this forum, many sick guys, with sick rigs.

I perform live and use real analog and virtual. A hybrid stage rig actually. I was hoping to chat with other guys who work live since that requires different tricks and tips.

I will be trading ideas that are sampler related also, so I do not wish to alter the thread, as the basic idea here was to discuss the use of hardware analog and virtual for live performance, and I am sure sidetracking into what VSTi's work well w/o clogging up a DAW, etc. will be brought up also.

Merry Christmas,
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:32 pm

im much more of a studio rat than a live guy, but i toured last year w/ nord electro, 73 rhodes, microkorg, and juno 6, and will be doing the same this year. (probably swapping the rhodes for a nord though). what did you want to chop it up over?

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:26 pm

My last gig.....Imposcar...Sonic 6...Andromeda..MS-20.

It's the only softsynth i use live.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:56 pm

Live I use all my gear:
Moog Source
Realistic Concertmate 350
Oberheim Matrix-1000
E-Mu Vintage Keys Plus
laptop w/Arturia MiniMoogV & Korg Legacy Wavestation

Earlier this year I had to let go of my ailing Juno 106 and the laptop took over for it. MiniMoogV takes over for some of those pad duties, plus I have a song with two overlapping Moog leads that I can't do on just one synth. So I use the Moog for one and MMV for the other. Before that I used a Micron live to cop the same sound. I can assign the knobs on my controller to tweak MMV in much the same way as I could the Micron and it works out well that way. If I need something more complex I reach for Legacy Wavestation or CS-80V. I'd prefer to buy a 2nd analog mono and a rackmount analog poly that I can edit or even a good VA but...the laptop scenario works better than I thought it would.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:23 pm

My gig rig has been:
Yamaha Motif ES rack/M-Audio Pro 88 keyboard
Laptop/ NI's B4 + Korg M1 software
Ensoniq ESQ-1

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:28 pm

This would go in the Software Synthersisers forum, to which I have sent it with my wizard-like moderator powers.

Ala-kazzam!

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:15 pm

I use 2 of those KSPro 88's. They are well built and the MIDI functions are fast and precise.

The action is O.K., and they are lightweight also.

I have only 2 hardware analogs onstage as VA's have become quite powerful these days. My SE-1X, and XPander still do my mono work as I search for a realistic replacement in the form of a VA. But I haven't heard one yet. :(

I am waiting for a demo of Rapture as I have recieved a good tip here from a fellow synth-head that it has controllable / separate Oscillator lag / potramento features. Those are crucial for that mono sound.

I will post back after I hear the demo. That currently is the only VA I know of that has taken the time to properly emulate that type of lead/bass style of synth performance. Solaris is being upgraded to Vrs.5.0 which has that ability, so hopefully I can give my analogs proper burials in my project studio, and further downsize this monsterous rig I drag around.
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:28 pm

one thing to note about the tip I gave on rapture...

If you are on a mac, the demo for rapture is not updated for universal binary yet, but the synth itself will... So you'll have to demo it in rosetta (which is kinda hard on the CPU, to say the least) and then wait until you actually buy it to get decent CPU usage out of it.

deb76

Post by deb76 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:30 pm

I use for my performances a laptop with soundcard (Emu 1616M or RME Fireface 400) with 2 midi out. I work with Ableton live 7 where I insert the Clavia Engine G2 (or Evolver) and the Moog Etherwave Theremin (insert in Boss SE 70 for effects), my Fender Stratocaster Roland midi in the Yamaha EX5R.
In Ableton Live 7, I use one track with Moog Modular V2 into arpeggiator of Energy XT, 1 or 2 Ems Synthi Avs (emulation of Ems Synthi Aks) and now one sesssion of Arp KikAxxe, keyboard Emu Xboard 25 or 49. I use for the control, Emu Xboard, Bitstream 3X and eventually my old BCR 2000.
Origin Arturia, Yamaha SY 99 & EX5R, Evolver, G2 Engine, Stratocaster Roland midi, AudioSculpt & Open Music of IRCAM, Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, EMS Avs, Tassman 4, Arturia Brass, Max Msp 5, Fireface 800. http://magelectrique.blogspot.com/

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:08 am

Heard the Rapture from a demo from a fellow Scope buddy in SoCal where he applied the techniques described, it sounded like I could get it and apply my tricks to it. I wasn't able to hear it well via the speaker phone, but the separation was there.

I will see if it is fat enough to use. I am sold though as I finally found a developer who knew the strength of that sound.

Thanks Brotha' Man.

Deb 76, that's a pretty intense rig coming from a laptop. Nice site also.
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91

deb76

Post by deb76 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:49 am

Scope4Live thank you for your compliment of the site.
Otherwise, some details, Yamaha EX5R piloted by the Fender Stratocaster guitar Midi via the Korg GR30 is not inserted into the Laptop via Live 7.
I use the sound card with two midi out noon to be able to work with the Editor of Clavia G2 Engine (or the Evolver) at the same time as Live.
In it, I do not use all instances at the same time, I disconnect including Energy XT and thus the Moog Modular V2, which is run on a CPU when I do not use it.
I have a level of CPU for Ableton Live, between 55 and 60% and sometimes 65%.
They are not concert performances, but for contemporary art exhibitions. Otherwise, I use a PC and a laptop.

Sorry for my bad english.
Origin Arturia, Yamaha SY 99 & EX5R, Evolver, G2 Engine, Stratocaster Roland midi, AudioSculpt & Open Music of IRCAM, Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, EMS Avs, Tassman 4, Arturia Brass, Max Msp 5, Fireface 800. http://magelectrique.blogspot.com/

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:43 am

This is a timely topic. I'm trying to put together a show using only 2 keyboards and a laptop for a set of studio songs that used many synths, guitars and a piano. So far I'm down to a PEK, remote37sl, Live7, Absynth and RMX...oh, and a guitar.

Some synths, like ESQ1, were only used once in the set so those are being sampled and I might use Live's Simpler. Others can sampled from the master and looped in Live. The hard part has managing the laptop CPU load by not running too many softsynths and effects.
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos