New Logic Pro8 - any thoughts...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
caligari

New Logic Pro8 - any thoughts...

Post by caligari » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:02 pm

Thinking about upgrading to this new version and curious if anyone has yet. What do you think of it? I have read the review in Keyboard and they love it, especially for how cheap it is compared to other daws.
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 am

I upgraded to version 8 a week ago or so; I haven't had the time yet to really dig into it, but my impression so far is that it compares favorably to version 7; the interface seems a bit better organized than previous versions for one thing.
In any case, it is a h**l of a bang for your buck.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:02 am

I like it a lot, and for $199 it's a no-brainer. I find it a bit more stable than 7.2 (though that was always pretty stable for me) and the cleaned-up interface is welcome. Delay Designer is very cool, and the things Apple added to the studio bundle such as QT Pro (unlocks automatically upon install), Compressor, and Soundtrack Pro make for a solid package.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:28 am

To those of you who are using it, what are the specs of your Macs?

I have a Core Duo Intel 1.83 GHz with 2 GB of RAM and I'm concerned that this machine may be under-powered, even though it meets the minimum requirements. I'm not going to be using a lot of the higher-end features--more or less song composition and a couple of plug-ins, along with Logic's instruments.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by pangmaster » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm running it on both a MacBook C2D 2.16GHz w/2GB and a Mac Pro quad 2.66 w/2GB (need more memory in the Mac Pro!). Logic runs well enough on the MacBook and performance is not that much different than 7.2. For your purposes I think your machine will be fine. :) If you run out of steam, freeze is your friend.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Pang, thanks for the info. I can get it for an insanely cheap price with academic discount and it's actually only about $30 more than what an upgrade to Live 7 would cost me. I'm thinking that Logic is a better choice for me because I don't want to have to buy a bunch of softsynths and it looks a bit like Garageband now, which has been fun when I've played with it.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:29 pm

I love logic express 8. I haven't used logic 7 so I can't really comment on that I'm afraid.

The included plugins are great, midi sequencing is great, audio recording is great... I have yet to find any problems with this software.

sure, it can't do some of the clip based groovebox style stuff that you can do with live, but as far as the more "standard linear" style DAWs go... This one is the best IMHO.

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by pangmaster » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:40 pm

braincandy wrote:Pang, thanks for the info. I can get it for an insanely cheap price with academic discount and it's actually only about $30 more than what an upgrade to Live 7 would cost me. I'm thinking that Logic is a better choice for me because I don't want to have to buy a bunch of softsynths and it looks a bit like Garageband now, which has been fun when I've played with it.
If you only bought Logic Pro for Sculpture, it would still be money well-spent. It's an incredibly cool soft synth! I've been a Logic user since v4 and it keeps getting better. I've found no other DAW that has as much power for MIDI processing. 8)

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:43 pm

i wanted to take this opportunity to send a huge thanks to pangmaster for his help with my computer questions. THANKS! :)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by pangmaster » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:25 am

minime123 wrote:i wanted to take this opportunity to send a huge thanks to pangmaster for his help with my computer questions. THANKS! :)
mini
You're quite welcome. :) I fully expect to see a thread about your new kit when it finally comes together. Cheers!

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:34 pm

i suspect that once its all together ill be so wrapped up in it that i wont be spending much time on VSE for a while! ;) im sure it will kick some serious a*s! :)
thanks
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:45 am

I ordered the upgrade from Express 7 to Studio 8 today... finally, I will have the full version.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:20 am

I have used both DP and Logic before, but for my new DAW I am going to go Logic8.

cheers,
Ian

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:21 am

braincandy wrote:To those of you who are using it, what are the specs of your Macs?

I have a Core Duo Intel 1.83 GHz with 2 GB of RAM and I'm concerned that this machine may be under-powered, even though it meets the minimum requirements. I'm not going to be using a lot of the higher-end features--more or less song composition and a couple of plug-ins, along with Logic's instruments.
The minimum requirements are a 1.25 ghz G4. You have a core duo machine.

Maybe more RAM would be a good thing, but seems like you are more than covered.
[ + ]

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 am

What do people think in terms of Logic 7 vs Logic 8?

I can't stand the f**k apple Final Cut interface after using Emagic's Logic since the early days. I am still using v6.4.3 for that reason and have no problems.

Wonder if I should go straight to v8 on the newer setup I am putting together.

All feedback is welcome.
[ + ]