New Logic Pro8 - any thoughts...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:42 am

braincandy wrote:To those of you who are using it, what are the specs of your Macs?

I have a Core Duo Intel 1.83 GHz with 2 GB of RAM and I'm concerned that this machine may be under-powered, even though it meets the minimum requirements. I'm not going to be using a lot of the higher-end features--more or less song composition and a couple of plug-ins, along with Logic's instruments.
I have the exact same system as you (except I upgraded my HD to a 200gig internal) and it works great. For your use, you should have no problem.

oberheim
Gear: Lots of Korg's, Kawai's, Roland's, Akai's and Emu's. Plus a Yamaha, Nord and Oberheim.

Post by oberheim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:33 am

The only problem I have with Logic 8 is latency issues with the built-in synths/sampler. I've got Live, Pro Tools, Reason and Tracktion - and none of then have the lag that Logic's EXS24 or ES1 has. Maybe it's a usb/midi driver issue? :?
[RO] SH101, D550, D-110 JV1080, MKS70, S750, S550 [KW] K1r, K5m, R-50 [AK] S700, S1100, [EMU] ESI32, ESI2000, Proteus 1 [KRG] EX800, X5dr, M3r, Wavestation SR, P3, Symphony, DW6000, DSS1, DS-8, Poly61, S3, DDD1, [NV] A Station, [OB] Matrix1000, [NRD] MicroMod, [YAM] TX7

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:38 pm

have you tweaked the latency / speed settings within logic? theyre in there somewhere....
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

onetwothree
No Longer Registered

Post by onetwothree » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Dr. Sound wrote:
The minimum requirements are a 1.25 ghz G4.
I will be running it on those specs. I've been running LE7 on these specks for almost 2 years and everything works great as long as softsynth tracks get locked.

The best suggestion I can give anyone running Logic is to save all audio files to an external drive.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:06 am

I am f**k OFF at digidesign for not providing a protools update for the new OS Leopard yet. I'm tired of waiting, I'm going down to the store and buying Logic
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

you + me + my amplifier

Post by you + me + my amplifier » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:21 am

mark mark angry pants wrote:I am f**k OFF at digidesign for not providing a protools update for the new OS Leopard yet. I'm tired of waiting, I'm going down to the store and buying Logic
ooh so have you unpacked the massively heavy box yet? why is the logic box so heavy, why??
My band, Little Pictures: www.myspace.com/lotsoflittlepictures

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:33 am

Haha, I ONLY just got home, how did you get online so fast?

naughty naughty

I don't know why it's so heavy, but I'm gonna find out

...just taking the wrapping off..

oooo nice packagaing, nice firm cardboard...

wow, the way it's all put together is quite lovely really. The reason it's so heavy is because it comes with two MASSIVE manual... oh oo....

But the box it self is just really thick cardboard mmmmmm luxery cardboard

so there you have it, a real-time recount of the unwrapping of logic studio

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:37 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I am f**k OFF at digidesign for not providing a protools update for the new OS Leopard yet. I'm tired of waiting, I'm going down to the store and buying Logic
They're working on it, and when it comes out you can guarantee it'll actually work properly. Personally I'm glad they actually make sure everything's 100% working before they release it, I can't stand installing something only to have it not do everything it should like software from a lot of other companies does.

If you're going to be pissed at Digidesign it should be because their CoreAudio drivers (the ones you use with other software, not PT) are crappy and their interfaces aren't as good as ones that cost a similar amount.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:39 am

ProTools now works with 10.5 according to Digi's site.
[ + ]

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I am f**k OFF at digidesign for not providing a protools update for the new OS Leopard yet. I'm tired of waiting, I'm going down to the store and buying Logic
They're working on it, and when it comes out you can guarantee it'll actually work properly. Personally I'm glad they actually make sure everything's 100% working before they release it, I can't stand installing something only to have it not do everything it should like software from a lot of other companies does.

If you're going to be pissed at Digidesign it should be because their CoreAudio drivers (the ones you use with other software, not PT) are crappy and their interfaces aren't as good as ones that cost a similar amount.
That's strange, I've been using the core audio drivers with garage band and ableton live and its worked just fine

hmm, can't find that info on their site Dr. Sound, protools HD is now 10.5 compatible though! I'm looking for LE though

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:47 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If you're going to be pissed at Digidesign it should be because their CoreAudio drivers (the ones you use with other software, not PT) are crappy and their interfaces aren't as good as ones that cost a similar amount.
Nail on the head.
[ + ]

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:54 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:That's strange, I've been using the core audio drivers with garage band and ableton live and its worked just fine
Ever gotten buffer size down to 128 samples running 8 ins at once? I can't go lower than 512 on my 002 but the 828mkII used to do 128 easily.

you + me + my amplifier

Post by you + me + my amplifier » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Haha, I ONLY just got home, how did you get online so fast?

naughty naughty

I don't know why it's so heavy, but I'm gonna find out

...just taking the wrapping off..

oooo nice packagaing, nice firm cardboard...

wow, the way it's all put together is quite lovely really. The reason it's so heavy is because it comes with two MASSIVE manual... oh oo....

But the box it self is just really thick cardboard mmmmmm luxery cardboard

so there you have it, a real-time recount of the unwrapping of logic studio
hahaha it's like erotic fiction for sad sad nerds... i do like thick cardboard though.
My band, Little Pictures: www.myspace.com/lotsoflittlepictures

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:They're working on it, and when it comes out you can guarantee it'll actually work properly. Personally I'm glad they actually make sure everything's 100% working before they release it, I can't stand installing something only to have it not do everything it should like software from a lot of other companies does.
Well...almost. I'd hate to see a rehash of the release of Protools 7. Early versions would frequently cease to recognize TDM hardware; a friend of mine runs a recording studio in Fremont and it was really affecting his business for a while.
It's usually wise to wait a while before adopting new software, as the first run is virtually never completely bug-free.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p