Sega Genesis Sequencer?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Sega Genesis Sequencer?

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:05 am

I can't find a thing about it anywhere. Does something like this exist? I would be really interested in learning some way of making music with the Genesis. Does anybody have any experience with this?

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:42 am

The closest thing I've found is Mod2PSG2 which is a tracker that emulates the Yamaha SN76489 chip used in Sega Master System and Game Gear systems.

Found this tidbit on the Genesis entry on Wikipedia,

"The FM sound synthesis IC resembles the Yamaha YM2151 (used in Sega's coin-op machines) and the chips used in Yamaha's synthesizers."

which supports the idea that it's fully possible to use the Genesis for music generation you just need to be able to mod or program roms.

It seems more people have developed stuff for more popular consoles like the C64, 2600 and NES which all have excellent synthesizer and/or sequencer cartridges available.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 am

you're gonna want to try TFM music maker - its made by a russian guy named Shiru... it basically can create songs which can play back on a sega genesis... i believe thats what you're looking for

~alex

http://shiru.untergrund.net/
http://www.spritesmind.net/_GenDev/foru ... .php?t=125

EDIT: it doesnt exclusively need a sega genesis to work... just a copy of windows... it has a built in emulator and can export to formats which can be used for hardware playback

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:36 am

Wow, did a search for TFM and came across THIS LINK...
Looks like there's a few trackers that emulate Genesis/Mega Drive chips. Pretty dope!! They all look similar to Mod2PSG2.

Some of the music people are able to make in trackers like these is amazing!

Trackers still baffle me, I just can't get in the right mindset to create music so slowly and methodically.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:45 pm

eucarya wrote:Trackers still baffle me, I just can't get in the right mindset to create music so slowly and methodically.
tracking is actually a very fast way to do music... most trackers dont require you to use a mouse... once you memorize all the shortcut keys its very fast... thats actually one of the things "renoise" boasts about - and most trackers are free and have a big following/community

i'm having the opposite problem - i still havent used any modern day sequencers or software... for one they cost too much... gotta save up... and for two it wouldnt come natural to me... gotta work at it o.o

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:07 am

If you are still looking for info on this a guy from the 8bc board is working on a project for the Sega Master System. I remember reading his thread and thinking it was a great project. NES vs SEGA...oh no here we go.

Sega Master System Midi

It's not a softsynth but if this midi project works you will be able to use it somewhat like Midines, depending on what he does. He has a blog too.
eucarya wrote:Trackers still baffle me, I just can't get in the right mindset to create music so slowly and methodically.
Trackers look confusing but they really aren't. It looks like math homework but the workflow goes as fast as you are. Back in the 90s my friend had Fast Tracker II memorized and would write music very quickly.

I started using LSDJ on the gameboy recently, a tracker, and it is a blast from the past. Brings back fond memories I have of FTII on Windows/DOS.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:20 am

Call me daft, but what's a tracker? I've only heard the term recently. Not the same thing as a sequencer, then?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:10 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Call me daft
You're only daft for not answering your own question in a second ;)

It's a pattern sequencer with generally 64-steps (4 x 16). It started with 4 tracks but the format has expanded to more than that. You create a pattern; you reuse it if you need it again, you copy it in its entirety if you need a variation. In its original version (ProTracker, Fasttracker) it was a sequencer combined with a simple sampler (no effects, no EQ) that used your computer's memory (or that of the soundcard in case of the Gravis Ultrasound).

Effects like portamento and C64-style arpeggio are done by entering codes. Each step can contain a note of the sampler and a single code.

FL Studio's method of handling patterns is inherited from trackers.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Ah, cheers, Yoozer. This is VSE, after all... :wink: