Deep House Chords..

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
HOUSEMUSIC

Deep House Chords..

Post by HOUSEMUSIC » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Hello everyone..!

Does anybody have any recommendations on what synth(s) and processing to use to recreate those loveley chord sounds in so many deep house records... The closest ive come is with Pro 53....

Check out Ame - Nia (a track) to see what i mean...

Im ok on the theory side, just cant quite get the sound im after...

Thanks in advance...

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:27 pm

It's also a matter of playing the right chords ;).

The synth is generally simple, really; and the only thing that happens is the filter tweaking. If your Pro-53 doesn't do it, get a newer Moog emulation (Minimonsta or something in polyphonic mode would do the job).

For freebies, PolyIblit or ASynth :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:57 am

that would be a C minor 7 chord, sampled, then played up and down the keyboard, well thats the case with Classic Detroit Techno.

its the same chord, or variation of those minor 7th chords.

The ANdromeda A6 is my main synth for chord stabs, as it has a chord memory feature, which makes it easy to play chords. Or any synth for that matter, sampled, playing that chord, and reverb will get you that sound.

check out my detroit funk track, it has that chord sound your talking about, well in some form that is.
http://www.myspace.com/architecture1

HOUSEMUSIC

Post by HOUSEMUSIC » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 am

Architecture wrote:that would be a C minor 7 chord, sampled, then played up and down the keyboard, well thats the case with Classic Detroit Techno.

its the same chord, or variation of those minor 7th chords.

The ANdromeda A6 is my main synth for chord stabs, as it has a chord memory feature, which makes it easy to play chords. Or any synth for that matter, sampled, playing that chord, and reverb will get you that sound.

check out my detroit funk track, it has that chord sound your talking about, well in some form that is.
http://www.myspace.com/architecture1
Yeh, min, min7, min9 chords with lots of inversions is what im working on, i use the 'chorder' plugin in Nuendo or just play them manualy..... I like the classic ii-iii-vi progression alot too (kerri chandlers fav.) but anyway...!

The rising chords in Detroit Funk are ace! With a faster filter attack that would sound close to what im looking for...

And in Tokyo funk, those filtered / organ chords sound sweet too...

Im not sampling anything at the minute, is that nessaccary? it may be where im going wrong...

HOUSEMUSIC

Post by HOUSEMUSIC » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:48 am

.......................................... and im just detuning 2/3 saw osc for the sound.........................

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Architecture wrote:that would be a C minor 7 chord
Not in the example - that's an inversion of god knows what, but if the root note was C, it'd be D-D#-G.
HOUSEMUSIC wrote: Im not sampling anything at the minute, is that nessaccary? it may be where im going wrong...
No, but sampling the chord at its root note saves you playing it every time - plus the sound goes through a single filter (instead of a filter per voice) which gives a different effect (especially with higher values for filter resonance and keytracking to 100%) since it's only a single filter instead of 3 or 4 (required for the note per chord).

Plus, there's a typical side-effect of sampling - higher notes are shorter, which explains some of the artifacts you hear in earlier house.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

HOUSEMUSIC

Post by HOUSEMUSIC » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Ive been experimenting some more this weekend; :roll:

Using Rob Papens 'Predator', i detuned 3 saws, one at 3cents, one at -3cents, and one about 14cents for a bit more fatness... The volume mod was thus; fastest attack, no decay, full sustain, 60% release...

I bypassed the synths filter, and recoreded the chord dry (sustained over 1 bar), playing a min 7 & min 9 in the root of A3 (using the harmonic minor scale)..

I then loaded these samples into Halion, filtered them down to about 50% cut off with 25% resonance using halions own 12pole lpf and played them back on various keys (in a 2 octave spread from th sample root); and it still sounds wrong (to my ears anyway??!!)

I also eq'd out (rolled off) everything below 120hz, but didnt make anymore cuts or boosts after that, nor did i add reverb / chorus / flanger etc...

Surely im doing everything pretty much textbook, but i cant seem to make the sound 'fat' or 'smooth' enough...

Ill post a sample of my feable attempts if you like...

Thanks for the help so far by the way, very much appreciated...

I have some MPC groove templates ill upload as a gesture of gratitude (lol) if anyones interested... (both mac and windows versions)

Thanks again....

*edit*

The synths i have availible are;

Predator
Pro 53
Arturias Minimoog V
Fm8
V station
Cubases' standard synths (a1 etc)

Cheers...

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:54 pm

useful thread I was wondering what the deep house chords were...

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Thu May 01, 2008 5:26 am

I was wondering what that old school progression was called .The old school one. I can't remeber what chords there are .I think it is all minor chords.
A min
E min
G min
D min
I think thats it I don't have a keyboard in front of me.

HOUSEMUSIC

Post by HOUSEMUSIC » Thu May 01, 2008 9:27 am

voltageHead wrote:I was wondering what that old school progression was called .The old school one. I can't remeber what chords there are .I think it is all minor chords.
A min
E min
G min
D min
I think thats it I don't have a keyboard in front of me.
I already said, ii, iii, vi...

So in the key of C, it would be Dmin, Emin, Amin...

Youll instantly recognize that progression from loads of tunes, trust me! :wink:

I just need some help on creating the right sound; rhodes sounds are no problem thanks to lounge lizard, just the more genreic chord sound i cant get....