I've lost a cool VST

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Alex Hamilton

I've lost a cool VST

Post by Alex Hamilton » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:02 pm

A couple of years ago I had a really cool VST running in Live (Windows XP). I got it off a magazine DVD - either Future Music, Computer Music, or Music Tech. Since then, I've uninstalled it, and now I want it back; problem is I can't remember what it's called, and I've searched through all copies of the magazines twice, and just can't find it...

Basically, it's a filter, but instead of being a normal digital emulation of an analogue filter, it has two user-definable frequencies that are set apart from each other; as you move one over the other, it moves from being band-pass to band-reject (you can set one as high or low as possible for more normal effects). Not only that, but I seem to remember the slopes were infinitely steep, i.e. if you set LP cutoff to 500Hz, there's no sound at all above 500Hz - this allowed me to pick out the partials in a trumpet sample as I remember. It has a visual display, in which frequencies are displayed logarithmically from left to right and the spectrum of the sound migrates from the top to the bottom (like that thing in the Krishna synth, the name for it currently escapes me), so you can pick out partials visually and precisely. Obviously this allows you to create very weird sounds beyond the capabilities of a normal filter.

I would search, but have no place to start! A name would be very helpful if you know it, obviously the best would be if you can reference the magazine and issue as I should still have it. As far as I recall it was either a demo or freeware - I imagine the latter as I don't remember anything annoying about it.

Please help! :lol:

Edit: Oh, and if I find it myself, I'll be sure to post it here.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:45 am

this, maybe?

go here and search the database being as specific as you can from memory.

Hope this helps
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 pm

You know, I think that's it! Dammit though, I can't download the program; it says:
Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
www.betabugsaudio.com
Tue Jul 22 15:55:32 2008
Apache/2.0.54 (Linux/SUSE)
And then if I go to www.betabugsaudio.com, it won't allow me access:
Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403
www.betabugsaudio.com
Tue Jul 22 15:51:56 2008
Apache/2.0.54 (Linux/SUSE)
And I can't find the DVD, perhaps I've thrown it away...I can find the DVDs for MonstaChorus, Chorrosive, GetaBlitchJR, and CrayonFilter (all from MusicTech issues 44 & 45), but not one with this one it. Infuriating.

Thanks very much for your help Huppo, much appreciated - I'll keep trying.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 pm

If it's the Bugpass filter vst you want you can find it here:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/B ... 00790.html

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:41 am

How bizarre - that's actually not it! I downloaded it and it's not the same program, the filters are much more limited. The program I'm looking for is similar though, but with a grey user interface and is slightly larger (I wish they would show screenshots!). Thanks very much for the help guys, I'll try a search on the database tomorrow, though searching 'filter' could prove awkward. :)

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 am

I searched on filter to get that result for you in about 5-10 minutes by just reading the descriptions.

There were a ton of results..like 1400 or something, but I didnt refine it much beyond specifying 'filter'. You can specify which host it works in, whether its VST only and lots of other things. Maybe you can narrow it down a bit and not have to wade through so much stuff.

Or maybe you can find a listing for the disc content included with back issues of the magazines you got it from? Try the magazines' websites..maybe email them and ask if you recall the general time period.

Good luck!
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 am

Could this be it? http://www.filterscape.com/
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Could this be it? http://www.filterscape.com/
Thanks very much, but sadly no...it wasn't so flashy-looking. That is definitely an interesting bundle, but unfortunately I'm not really in the market right now - maybe I'll come back to it when I want some more in the box solutions to EQing etc.
I searched on filter to get that result for you in about 5-10 minutes by just reading the descriptions.

There were a ton of results..like 1400 or something, but I didnt refine it much beyond specifying 'filter'. You can specify which host it works in, whether its VST only and lots of other things. Maybe you can narrow it down a bit and not have to wade through so much stuff.

Or maybe you can find a listing for the disc content included with back issues of the magazines you got it from? Try the magazines' websites..maybe email them and ask if you recall the general time period.

Good luck!
Thanks for the effort, I haven't time right now but I'll give it a search either later tonight or tomorrow. Actually I'd have thought there'd be more than 1400 results, that's quite encouraging. I've only used KVR a couple of times (I try to stop myself collecting plugins, I find I only use a few, same goes for hardware), I should investigate it more thoroughly for the things I need.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:36 pm

there's a plugin in logic that does something similar to what you're talking about, but it's called a "spectral gate".

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks Mitch, you are a valued resource for this community!

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Try going to http://www.kvraudio.com/. They have just about every free VST on the planet.

-Pilot
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Mush wrote:Thanks Mitch, you are a valued resource for this community!
What? I'm saying that I don't think it's called a filter, so you might want to search using other terms
:roll:

I wasn't telling them to get logic. Logic tends to give it's more utilitarian plugs generic names, so the plugin the OP is looking for is probably called something along those lines.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm

What? I'm saying that I don't think it's called a filter, so you might want to search using other terms

I wasn't telling them to get logic. Logic tends to give it's more utilitarian plugs generic names, so the plugin the OP is looking for is probably called something along those lines.
Actually I think Mitch may be on the right lines; this plugin used a spectrum analyser to display the harmonic content over time (frequencies on x axis, time moving vertically down - or up, dependent on how you look at it - the y axis, with signal intensity representing amplitude, so kind of a spectrogram). You could then move the two filter cutoffs to highlight or remove one or more partials. I've just looked through 222 VSTs on KVR, and the only one to come close was this:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3058.html

but in functionality only, in terms of being able to cut out some of the spectrum precisely. The plug-in I used was free and simpler, and plainer-looking, though now having seen this I may have to buy it :lol: . Although the one I used could be controlled by automation more easily in that you didn't draw boxes.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Bingo!

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2134.html

Where the f**k did I get this the first time round? :lol: And guess what - I searched 'spectral gate'. :lol: Thanks very much everyone, you've been really helpful.

toad

Post by toad » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Was it this one?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2134.html

It should be able to achieve what you described in your first post, anyway.
And a helluva lot more.