Is there a way?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Is there a way?

Post by basssdude34 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 am

Is there a way to use a soft synth without the trouble of bringing the computer to the gig? Does a controller exist where you can put patches on it and go?

Hair

Post by Hair » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:58 am

Muse Receptor does that, but it's expensive.

There are other things like the Plugiator, Nord Modular and even the newer Korg synths like the R3 which at have (if not rely on) plugin-like PC-editors, but store the patches in the hardware so they can be played independently of the computer.

basssdude34

Post by basssdude34 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:07 am

so if someone had reason or something, they couldnt get a controller to store the patches they made on the PC in it and play them separate from the computer..you'll NEED the CPU at gigs to get those sounds

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:53 pm

The only way to get the sounds live without a computer or a hardware VST host like Receptor would be to sample them, but you lose the ability to further manipulate them.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:30 pm

basssdude34 wrote:so if someone had reason or something, they couldnt get a controller to store the patches they made on the PC in it and play them separate from the computer..
with some money, yes you could 8)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Re: Is there a way?

Post by Huppo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:53 pm

basssdude34 wrote:Is there a way to use a soft synth without the trouble of bringing the computer to the gig? Does a controller exist where you can put patches on it and go?
A 'patch' is the collection of settings used to create a particular sound on any given instrument, whether its a hardware synth or a soft synth, so without the original instrument, the patch is useless. It doesn't make or contain any sound. A controller doesn't really store patches as much as it allows you to remotely choose patches still stored on the original synth.

And to answer a question you will probably ask soon, no, you cannot directly transfer a patch from one instrument to another unless they are directly related. For instance, you cannot come up with a cool patch on an Alesis Ion and then just load it into a DX-7 and have the same sound.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Bringing a computer isn't trouble provided that you spend time beforehand setting it up and testing it. For a laptop, that means pre-loading a set in there and then letting the computer hibernate. When you boot up, everything's loaded and started.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Summa

Post by Summa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 pm

V-Machines from SM-Pro Audio seems to be an option too, not sure if it's all ready avaiable, price should be about 450 Euro...

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?opt ... 74&lang=en

basssdude34

Post by basssdude34 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:36 am

Thanks for all the info...the V-Machine looks pretty cool...ill have to look into that....

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:05 am

basssdude34 wrote:Thanks for all the info...the V-Machine looks pretty cool...ill have to look into that....
Am I missing something with this unit? $900 for a computer with a 1 GHz CPU with 512 meg of ram and a decent audio/midi interface? What's the appeal/advantage? Just the size? Heck..you can build a SFF computer for far less than that with far better specs.
~huppo

basssdude34

Post by basssdude34 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:01 am

Well its my friend who has the soft synths, so it would be a way of me being able to use the sounds from that, and since i dont have a laptop or any soft synths myself it would save me money...

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Re:

Post by krushing » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
basssdude34 wrote:so if someone had reason or something, they couldnt get a controller to store the patches they made on the PC in it and play them separate from the computer..
with some money, yes you could 8)
Well, the Neko/Miko is a PC in a fancy box.

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 pm

basssdude34 wrote:Well its my friend who has the soft synths, so it would be a way of me being able to use the sounds from that, and since i dont have a laptop or any soft synths myself it would save me money...
You missed the point. That thing costs $900+. You could buy a used laptop and an audio/midi interface with the same or better specs for a lot less than $900.

And loading soft synths someone else owns onto your own gear isn't saving money, it's stealing. [-X
~huppo

basssdude34

Post by basssdude34 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 am

Could i install my friend's soft synth on my CPU if i do that? or can they only install on one CPU? (i know that windows XP allows 3 installations per disc) And if i cant then id have to buy a soft synth, and thatd raise the price...And where are you getting $900? Summa says itd be about 450 euros...so that translates to $700 last i checked....

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Bassdude, read the licensing agreements for the softsynths for which you are interested. Just go to the websites, such as G-Force, Native Instruments, Arturia, etc. You need to do some research on your own if you're really wanting to go the softsynth route.

Huppo's correct regarding legal usage. If it's already installed on your friend's computer, then loading it onto another computer for your personal use isn't legal. It's not the same as XP. Buy the software you want to use and support the developers. If you can't afford it, you can usually find free softsynths, such as Linplug Free Alpha, Crystal, U-NO 60, NI Kore (free version), etc. or softsynths from independent developers that ask for a small donation for use.

You can get more info on freeware over at KVR. Check out this site as well:
http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects