Is there a way?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Re: Is there a way?

Post by Huppo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:08 pm

basssdude34 wrote:Could i install my friend's soft synth on my CPU if i do that? or can they only install on one CPU?
If someone else buys a piece of software and you install it for your own use on your computer you are breaking the EULA. It's against the law, blah blah blah. Of course you can do it provided it doesn't have a USB dongle or something, but if you start talking about pirated software in here you'll get shut down in a hurry.
basssdude34 wrote:(i know that windows XP allows 3 installations per disc)
I think Microsoft would beg to differ with you on that.
basssdude34 wrote: And if i cant then id have to buy a soft synth, and thatd raise the price
There are hundreds if not thousands of free softsynths available. Some of them are pretty darn impressive, too. Check this place.
basssdude34 wrote:...And where are you getting $900? Summa says itd be about 450 euros...so that translates to $700 last i checked....
I guess I was getting it from the past, you're correct. Doesn't change anything, though. Paying $700 for a 1 Ghz, single core CPU with 512 meg of RAM and a decent audio interface is ridiculous. That device is a great idea and handy as h**l, I'm sure, but it's seriously under spec. Do you know anything about computer specs at all? Those are specs from a computer that was current about 5+ years ago. There are computers with those specs in people's garages and basements collecting dust because they can't even give them away.

You can spend your money on anything you want, but freestanding VST hosts aren't a very cost effective way to get done what you want to do.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:30 pm

braincandy wrote: Check out this site as well:
http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/
Cool link, brain. Very handy.

Sorry to repeat the stuff you just said, too. Reads like I'm typing with my fingers in my ears. #-o
~huppo

Summa

Post by Summa » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 pm

Well, looking at the specs I'd guess the device is designed to be silent, resistant and reliable on live situations, so the price might be justified...

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Summa wrote:Well, looking at the specs I'd guess the device is designed to be silent, resistant and reliable on live situations, so the price might be justified...
There's some softsynths that will easily choke that thing with a slow CPU and limited RAM all by themselves, never mind trying to load other stuff up at the same time.
~huppo

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:39 pm

If you're worried about affording softsynths... Go to http://kunz.corrupt.ch/

They have good (if somewhat simple) synths and EXTREMELY good effects (especially the delay)

basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Post by basssdude34 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the help...the more i read the more huppo makes the best sense...and thanks to everyone who gave a link....Ill probably end up just doing what huppo said and find some used gear...Thanks again

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:41 pm

I don't know exactly what types of sounds you're looking for, but you can get some great deals on inexpensive romplers which will give you a wide variety of sounds to work with, such as a Roland JV-1080. You should be able to find one easily for $250 or less and there's room for 4 expansion cards if you're after very specific types of sounds. A Roland JV-1010 is even cheaper than that.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects