Effects chains for VSTs?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
metrosonus

Effects chains for VSTs?

Post by metrosonus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Ive been working alot with G-Sonique's Renegade synth, and while i think it has presence and potential, it just doesn't sound as vast or deep as my hardware synths. I admit this is also partly a turn off for me to softies in general, but before i write them off completely, im wondering if a good effects chain isn't the answer ive been looking for.

I have the MDEX plugin from the LE digital i have and what ever Live comes with. you guys have any tips for for setting up effects chains that may help the feel of my vstis?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Effects chains for VSTs?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 am

I think effects are at least as important as the synths you use. I know what you mean, softies sometimes sound a bit flat and two dimensional.

I always run them through a lot of fx to give them a bit of life, and as often as I can I'll buss them out of the computer and through some hardware. Even running out of your interface and through a preamp gives a little bit of extra body to a sound I reckon, and running stuff through analogue delays and guitar pedals really beefs them up. You can do tricks like running your softsynth through an overdrive pedal and back in, then record it twice and pan the tracks hard left and right. The tiny differences from random fluctuations in the hardware from heat, pots moving slightly etc. really give you extra width and depth.

Also don't forget to plan your soundstage and don't just move stuff left and right with the pan, but also front and back with reverb and levels. A good lush reverb is important too, I've only found a couple of software ones that are as good as my (not especially good) TC reverb. I've been really enjoying the McDSP Revolver convolution reverb lately, even though my initial experiences with convolution verbs weren't especially positive.

Isthmus

Post by Isthmus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 am

I agree with Stab Frenzy. Effects are a crucial element in the sound design process, and softsynths benefit greatly from the DSP available via their integration into DAWs. Typically I apply a bit of reverb, delay, and EQ to everything and then add or subtract effects as necessary. I use Live as well and I think the stock effects are fantastic, for my purposes at least, so I'd spend a little time getting to know them; there are a few that might surprise you as well such as one of my favorites the grain delay which you can coax some very unique sounds out of. Actually the only non-Live effects that I use are Sonalksis TBK filters plus a Lexicon MX200 that I use sometimes when I'm recording hardware.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:26 pm

i also enjoy the grain delay in live, how the pitch and frequency can ascend or descend with each repeat, its brilliant