Sampling softsynths

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Sampling softsynths

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Who's doing that, besides me?

Here're advantages:

- thick/unison FM8 sounds could take up to 40% CPU time here on my system, and then you've got 1 tone only, sample it, and it'll become one intrinsic voice again, cpu-wise
- otherwise densely layered sounds (multiple instruments, multiple notes) become one
- easier to make 'drumkits' or otherwise multiple instruments (with limited key range) per sampler track

Some disadvantages:

- You may loose some of the means to control your sound, for instance sound-wise changes and tiny timbre variations
- it's a h**l of a lot of work!

For me, if the sound isn't too radical in changing timbres and I see an opportunity to save CPU cycles, I usually sample FM8 sounds. Last night I made an analogue'esque FM8 horn using 20 intervals (each 3 semitones) and 16 velocity layers. Took hours, but in the end I gain a very playable instrument (of over 200MB on HD :) ).
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Alex Hamilton

Re: Sampling softsynths

Post by Alex Hamilton » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:35 pm

I find that it's not necessary really - I'm using Live 7 which has a really good (and I mean really good) Freeze function which cuts down CPU consumption dramatically; it's very handy for if I've sorted out the MIDI for one part and need to arrange further parts. You can also change any 'post-Freeze' functions - FX sends, fader levels, panning...Your second and third advantages are better reasons for sampling softsynths - creation of new timbres.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Freezing would be less comfy for me, as I don't work per layer but per (finished-) measure. It'd mean I'd constantly have to freeze and unfreeze. But alas, for layer-workers there may be a point.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 pm

CS_TBL;
If you do this a lot, you may want to check out the Emu Emulator X sampler (v2 or 3).
It has a function that automatically samples synths for you; you set up note range, number of velocities etc, and just press execute. It can even set up smooth loops automatically for you! :D

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:01 am

I sample a lot of softsynths down into my EPS...sometimes it sounds better, sometimes it doesnt.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

toad

Post by toad » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:54 pm

the free / open source sampler Highlife is also good for sampling sofsynths:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/highlife/

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

toad wrote:the free / open source sampler Highlife is also good for sampling sofsynths:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/highlife/
Hmm, I haven't followed this thing for a while - but discoDSP has put a price tag on it yet again (though it's only 45 euros). I wonder what's the difference? There's some kind of a library included with the commercial version, maybe that's it.

As for the question at hand, no sampling for me. I tend to always build patches from scratch for each and any song, so having a library of sampled synths would be pretty pointless. I do use occasional one-shot synths for less-in-front-duties (like bass stabs), but that's about it.

vanitypolice
Gear: XTk, Model D, Cat, MicroKorg, Voyager RME, RE-201, Logic 8, Waldorf Edition, Komplete Synths, Sylenth1, Ultra Analog VA-1, Ozone 4, red Gibson SG.
Band: Dangerous Muse

Post by vanitypolice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 pm

I used to work this way a lot too (and sometimes I still do) but recently I've been using Autosampler by Redmatica to sample my hardware and software synths automatically. Then I use their Keymap software to edit my sampler programs. Now this only samples in the EXS format (perfect for me b/c I use logic) but I know other samplers can load these patches as well (MachFive for instance). There may be some other more universal MIDI rippers out there but this is definitely the best. I use it constantly.
I have found that when it comes to gear, believe the hype.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:37 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Who's doing that, besides me?
I do it, but only so I can use the sounds in my hardware.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 pm

CS_TBL wrote: Some disadvantages:

- You may loose some of the means to control your sound, for instance sound-wise changes and tiny timbre variations
- it's a h**l of a lot of work!
I'm using Emulator X2 and not only do you want to sample across the range, but multiple samples for different velocity zones will help add some nuance. However....

I have a memory-hog app TimewARP 2600 and I've thought about sampling, but rather I decided to record this instrument solo as a separate project and bring it into my song as an audio track. Its kind of a hassle but it steers around losing nuance, and tedious multi-sampling.