Intel Atom running XP

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Intel Atom running XP

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:07 am

has anyone using and ieee pc with Intel atom running XP? how is the atom compared to the core 2 duo? I suspect that it's the equivalent of celeron, which is optimized for internet and basic business apps. But how is it running music apps and games?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

toad

Re: Intel Atom running XP

Post by toad » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:17 am

Not about the Atom specifically, but kind of related:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/3 ... inux-tips/

They're probably not that good for games, since the graphics cards are pretty basic, but youtube is full of "GTA vice city on eee pc" type demos, so older games like that probably run ok.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 pm

I just bought my wife a new laptop for school (pissed me off since I need a new one more than she did!) at Best Buy and I saw both the Eee PC and an Acer mini laptop. Boy, are they small! Anyhow, I asked the tech guys on-site about the Atom processor, since I had only read about them and didn't know they were on the market yet. I was told that they are similar to Intel P4 single core processors but run much more efficiently on batteries than those processors did. I thought really hard about pulling the trigger on the Acer but I would've had to buy a new sound interface (I use an Echo PCMCIA card & the minis have no slots) and I realized trying to program Reason's sequencer is hard enough on a 14" screen, let alone a 9" with smaller resolution! Still, I think as these little laptops become more powerful and affordable more folks will use them live. Those laptops are small enough to sit on top of my MIDI controller!

Also, my brother is in the tech biz and uses an Eee PC for travel. He has one of the 100% solid state ones with the Celeron-esque processors and says it runs just fine on XP. Since the Atom is much faster and efficient than the first chips I'd imagine you could run some of the gentler VST's just fine on one. I wouldn't throw any Arturia stuff at one though.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:48 am

toad wrote:so older games like that probably run ok.
thanks for the informational and helpful links. I have several older games, such as pinball and racing in mind which could be perfect for the small pc.
redchapterjubilee wrote:Since the Atom is much faster and efficient than the first chips I'd imagine you could run some of the gentler VST's just fine on one.
Looks like a perfect mobile re-birth machine.

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:48 am

that it is.

I have a eee 901 and it runs rebirth and cubase le just fine.

be wary of big vst's though. superwave p8 and some of the arturia stuff. it don't really like them.

the audio isn't particularly good either but for a scratchpad its great.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 am

philbar wrote:the audio isn't particularly good either but for a scratchpad its great.
thanks that the rebirth outputs to wav :)

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:35 am

I purchased an MSI Wind back in August. Its got an Atom processor under the hood and its running XP.

I find that with a full on host like FL, plus plugs, CPU disappears quickly. Adding more RAM may solve some issues but ultimately, it won't be any good in that regard.

On the other hand, it seems to handle Reason fine. I doubt I'll be writing full on tracks with it (the tinny speakers are shyte - definitely to be used with headphones) however its great as a scratch pad and of course, portable to boot!

As well, someone mentioned the resolution... I'm not having any real issues. Obviously the window itself is a little smaller, but since Reason's sequencer is detachable now, its pretty easy to deal with a full project. And with native resolution of something like 1024x600... no problems here reading anything.
w00t