Is it just me or are there others who HATE software..

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Software or Hardware for recording and instruments

Like Hardware ?
61%
Like Software ?
39%

Total votes: 71

rawnoiseattack

Is it just me or are there others who HATE software..

Post by rawnoiseattack » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:29 am

Im just curious, am I the only one who really despises using software to record on or softsynth/drum programs ? I guess I'm just not getting with the times. When I was a teen in the 80's and started playing music and recording, I used a descent technics cassette deck and a SUN mixing board to produce some crude punk /grindcore and noise demos.. You were a god if you had an actual Tascam or Fostex 4 track recorder.....

I have tried using some software stuff and I just hate it.. I like hardware in my intruments and recording devices. I use a Tascam digital DP-01 8 track recorder which is set up like an old analog style tascam 424 recorder. It has all the knobs for the eq, effect level, and panning for each individual track.. I love this machine, I just wish they'd make a 16 track version of it and make it affordable...

Anyway take the poll, i'm sure I know what the answers will be though... Everyone's using either pro tools, cakewalk, reason or cubase these days....

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Re: Is it just me or are there others who HATE software..

Post by portland » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:34 am

Software I like.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:39 am

I was actually contemplating getting a 4track myself, computers tend to slow my creative process, too easy to get distracted. Still haven't gone through with it though, as it will require a lot more gear.

Count_Ecilam

Post by Count_Ecilam » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:50 am

I started out recording on a 4 track Tascam cassette recorder, doing lo-fi demos. It was really fun. You didn't have many options, so it was all about getting a good sound in. Nowdays, with digital recording, there's always this new thing to learn and infinite ways to tweak out your music just so, and it can be pretty overwhelming...plus, you can't grab into your computer screen tweak out all the knobs, so you miss that tactile sensation that you can only get with hardware. I can see why people might not like software, but after you spend some time with software, you can really fly with it. It's all a matter of preference, but I'll take software recording any day.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:41 am

I do sometimes hate working on a computer when making music, just because you get all the c**p that goes along with it, but for me the pros outway the cons by far . It's just so handy...

Count Ecilam, I hate not being able to turn knobs as well, but I got one of these for about $150 on ebay, it's made Reason really nice to use, and you can use it on most software that can respond to midi:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/UC33e-main.html

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:03 am

I started off with computer music. I like it alot, the possibilties even with simple software are endless. The real reason I started on a PC is economics. but now I'm at a point in my life were I can actually afford to go out and buy hardware, within reason :) Once I got my hands on hardware I havn't looked back. There's something about making music "hands-on" that is irresistable. As oppose to software which I find more tedious. I know this could be overcome with some good controllers, but that means I'm still tied to a PC. Or I can just pack my gear and head to my friends for a jam. So.. I guess it's the portability, reliabilty and "feel" that I like about hardware.

rawnoiseattack

Post by rawnoiseattack » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:12 am

My main problem with software has been mentioned. It's overwhelming and tedious.. I found myself spending more time trying to figure out how to use what and adding or subtracting effects etc... I did'nt really get any songs recorded. The only software I use is the cheap Cakewalk music creator... and I only use it to sample stuff. Sampling a drum loop or some movie dialogue is simple enough and much cheaper than buying a hardware sampler. I still end up running the sampled loop back into my hardware digital 8 track recorder though. The sample loses a bit of it's crispness, but it adds a lo-fi analogish touch that fits my stuff fine...

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:26 am

i love quality lo-fi.

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:56 am

I love using software, but primarily do due to cost. If I could afford a serious multi-track tape machine, then I most definately would go the route of analog....I'd still be using the PC as an instrument in that situation though too.

I would never opt to using something else digital in lieu of a computer though, that would be pointless to me, although I can easily understand how others may feel differently...whatever fits for you, use it.
Radio Electro(u)nique
Limbik Frequencies
---
Mindset Studio Music and Media
Mindsetstudios

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:38 am

Where's the both option?
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

Count_Ecilam

Post by Count_Ecilam » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:05 am

tunedLow wrote:Count Ecilam, I hate not being able to turn knobs as well, but I got one of these for about $150 on ebay, it's made Reason really nice to use, and you can use it on most software that can respond to midi:
That does look pretty cool, tunedLow. I'm just waiting for USB midi controllers to become dirt cheap. I know the day is coming (I hope). I just can't see myself paying upwards of $300 on something that doesn't even produce sound. That's just wrong. Have you seen this:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/lemur.html

rawnoiseattack:
I feel your pain. I'm pretty good at Sonar by now, but I've been using Cakewalk since the Pro Audio days. I just started working in a music studio, and they have DP, which only means that I have unlearn Sonar and learn DP. It drives me NUTS! I can't do the simplest things in DP, and everything is completely backwards. There's so many damn options and so much s**t on the screen, and I just want to edit the duration of a note. But sometimes, (most times) you just gotta bite the bullet and read through the entire 4-inch thick manual.

:||CHAMBER||:
No Longer Registered

Post by :||CHAMBER||: » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:56 pm

Here's my little story. 2001 a Computer Odyssey...

In first grade our school set up a computer lab stocked with Apple IIe's, I soon began to spend time after school there, first playing games like Oregon Trail and Number Munchers then amusing myself with with basic programming creating pictures by command line and figuring out sprite animation, this continued on to the Commodore 64 and onward... In '93 inspired by bands like Nirvana, Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine I bought an electric guitar and some stompboxes along w/ a mic and fourtrack. I had a lot of fun with my guitar/noise creations using a mic run to my delay pedal for creating rhythm loops, etc... Soon the guitar became a secondary interest to what I could do with stompboxes and late 90's rock sucked hard so in 97's soon after graduating from high school I bought my first synth, a Roland JP-8000 followed by a Prophecy. Eventually I stumbled across the Arp Odyssey, soon I traded by JP8K for an Emulator II (plus cash), the Prophecy for a Taurus II (plus cash) and bought a Mackie 1604 soon followed by a growing analog aresenal plus my old fourtrack I was always producing.

Enter 2001... with computers gaining in power and the enticement that Symbolic Sound's KYMA and Metasynth (only program I still use) offered I sold nearly ALL of my hardware for a G3 Powerbook and a Dual-G4. Thought this idea made perfect sense, I'd always been fond of computers, they offered power undreamed of in hardware... well, over the course of that year as each month went by I produced less and less untill finally sometime in 2002 I gave up...

I completely blame computers for ruining my workflow and for causing me to go three years without creating anything. The only reason I got back into it was because several months ago I moved and was forced to actually touch this mistake that had cost me thousands of dollars and it reminded me of what it was that got me into music in the first place. For the last two months I've been gutting the studio and downgrading it to something more resembling where it would have gone had I not made that fateful mistake. I've still got some tweaking to go but I'm excited about making music again and the computer this time around will only play a minor role and be used for editing and some multitracking although I'm going back to tape.

no soft-studio/virtual instruments for me thank you.

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:57 pm

I spent years working on tape. I'm on Pro Tools HD now and I can't see myself going back. Never say never though...

As for the synths; I've got a couple of soft synths, but everything else is hardware.
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

Libby

Post by Libby » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:33 pm

I still use a 4 track tape recorder (Fostex) as well as an old reel to reel (that hasn't been used in a while). I *gasp* don't even have a computer in my studio, my signal path is allmost 100% analog...

I like software, I just don't use it for anything more than goofing off...

JoSH101

Post by JoSH101 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:45 am

I don't mind software sequencing. What I do mind are the softsynths. If they are too complicated I won't edit them. I only feel motivated to edit hardware synths... I do WAY to much other stuff on my comp to have time or patience to program a softsynth, not matter how capable it is... simple
Last edited by JoSH101 today; edited 1337 times in total

IONstorm

Alesis ION, many softsynths. No 101 anymore...