Allow me to be the first to b***h about the new Macbooks

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Allow me to be the first to b***h about the new Macbooks

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:59 am

No Firewire on the 13" machine, WTF!?

I was thinking, 'great, they've finally put out a small laptop with a metal case again, i can replace my plastic Macbook' but then they took Firewire away! So everyone who backs everything up to Firewire drives has to buy a MBP or a MB and a Time Capsule then throw their Firewire drives in the bin?

And what about people who want a compact machine for audio production?

Sorry Apple, but I'm handing my fanboi membership card back. :P

(This thread is not to become a Mac Vs. PC thread by the way, any hint of that and I'll prune it)

downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Re: Allow me to be the first to b***h about the new Macbooks

Post by downgrade » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:12 am

Retarded, they just killed that thing for anything production related. Lest someone wanted to go the USB route, which most people would steer away from.

Maybe a firewire/usb hub?

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10854

Are you totally opposed to picking up an MBP? I mean..... other than the obvious reason of them being an arm and a leg.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:39 am

downgrade wrote: Maybe a firewire/usb hub?

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10854
I couldn't figure out how that hub connects, because I can't see how it connecting via USB can give a stable and steady speed that firewire offers, if you know what I mean?

What I can't figure out is why they improved firewire from 400 to 800 only for it to be basically shelved. What a f**k waste. They are catering to all their ipod buyers that aren't mac users!
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Post by downgrade » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:52 am

eh... Yeah, I might be off on that. I've no experience with one. I was under the impression you might be able to interface with all streams.

Here's an example of why I was thinking that:

Say you have a external usb/firewire hard drive. You've connected your laptop to the ext. via usb, and that external has another drive chained to it via firewire. You would have access to both drives, wouldn't you?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:01 am

That hub needs to be connected to both a USB and Firewire port to work. You just plug it into a USB port and the Firewire ports do nothing.

In your second example the firewire drive wouldn't show up. Firewire and USB are completely different protocols.

I'd happily buy a MBP if I had the cash to spare, but I'd rather something smaller. I carry my MB with me pretty much everywhere, on my bike, so size and weight makes a difference to me. I also hate glossy screens, they suck for using on stage if you're DJing or doing something where you need to see what's on the screen. I don't care how good Web 2.0 pages look on them. :P

For the price of a MBP I could get an iMac for the studio and a discontinued Macbook for portability. I'd keep this MB but it's kind of destroyed, two years of work/gigs/location recording takes it's toll on a plastic case...

Oh, and it also shits me that they're selling the old bottom of the line MB, with a Superdrive, for less than the new ones so they've still got a cheap model. So it's $300 less for a more powerful (2.1GHz vs 2.0) machine that still has Firewire?

downgrade

Post by downgrade » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:11 am

Yeah... I walked away thinking those types of drives just have alternate methods of connecting, not really able to interface between the two.

f**k it, spend some money :D

Steve Jobs would want you to

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: Oh, and it also shits me that they're selling the old bottom of the line MB, with a Superdrive, for less than the new ones so they've still got a cheap model. So it's $300 less for a more powerful (2.1GHz vs 2.0) machine that still has Firewire?
I noticed that, but wasn't really thinking when I looked at it. Now that you placed it right in front of my face, LOL, I just may have to pick one up. The only thing that sucks about that model though, is the Intel graphics card.
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 am

guesswho wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: Oh, and it also shits me that they're selling the old bottom of the line MB, with a Superdrive, for less than the new ones so they've still got a cheap model. So it's $300 less for a more powerful (2.1GHz vs 2.0) machine that still has Firewire?
I noticed that, but wasn't really thinking when I looked at it. Now that you placed it right in front of my face, LOL, I just may have to pick one up. The only thing that sucks about that model though, is the Intel graphics card.
You should be able to find a discontinued 2.4GHz one for even less. The integrated graphics isn't that bad, I haven't ever found myself wishing it had a separate one.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 am

hadn't even heard about it, but that's incredibly dumb!
i'm still pissed they went back to USB to make the ipods smaller...

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:14 am

I saw the post today and all the macfa...nboys were pretty much all fapping to it. That kind of sucks. When you said no firewire I thought well at least you could buy an expansion card and problem solved. Nope. I looked at the pictures and 2 usb ports and where a firewire port should be is some display port. Bummer.

The new look is kind of weak. Looks like an old sony monitor and those black keys don't make it any better. Nice visibility on the letters but the black keys look sorry. Then the Pro's...glossy screen...fail. I have a glossy screen and I will never get a glossy screen again. The reflection on glossy screens is terrible when working with anything visual which is everything. And no blu-ray.

"But it’s not all about beauty. The unibody also makes MacBook Pro more durable than ever. You can throw it in your briefcase or messenger bag and pull it out at an airport, in a hotel room, or on location without a second thought."

I don't use this smiley often but that quote deserves it. :roll: Seriously Apple for years I've tried to convince myself to buy a laptop or desktop from you but it just isn't happening. Maybe next cycle. They got my friend to go for a Macbook last year, although he doesn't talk about it much.
guesswho wrote:
On the cheap you say. Is it those white or black ones? I hated the paint jobs on those.

Nvm it's $999 right?
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:22 am

RobotHeroes wrote:"But it’s not all about beauty. The unibody also makes MacBook Pro more durable than ever. You can throw it in your briefcase or messenger bag and pull it out at an airport, in a hotel room, or on location without a second thought."

I don't use this smiley often but that quote deserves it. :roll: Seriously Apple for years I've tried to convince myself to buy a laptop or desktop from you but it just isn't happening. Maybe next cycle. They got my friend to go for a Macbook last year, although he doesn't talk about it much.
Yeah, what the h**l does that mean? "Now durable enough to be put into and taken out of your bag! No matter what the location! :lol:

Glass all the way to the edge of the lid is a bad bad idea IMO. In fact glass anywhere in a laptop is stupid.
RobotHeroes wrote:
guesswho wrote:
On the cheap you say. Is it those white or black ones? I hated the paint jobs on those.
Paint? It's plastic. The new ones look worse, the black keyboard looks like the Tibooks circa 2002.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah, what the h**l does that mean? "Now durable enough to be put into and taken out of your bag! No matter what the location! :lol:
Now durable enough to hold and carry inside stuff.
Glass all the way to the edge of the lid is a bad bad idea IMO. In fact glass anywhere in a laptop is stupid.
First thing I thought was the people that bumped their iPhone's and the screens exploded. People are totally going to die. I can't wait to see pictures of people impaled by their Macbooks. It will be like Nintendo Wii controllers through big screens all over again but with blood.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:45 am

The only thing I find remotely cool about the new casing is that I can go and get it anodized.
guesswho

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:32 am

I've been waiting for new MacBooks for quite a while. I've been wanting to switch on the Mac, but I'm totally deceived...
First thing, the ports... Removing Firewire on the MB and removing the 400 on the MBP. Still have no fricken memory card readers. They had to invent some other connector for the video, so they can sell you a 40$ adapter for your monitor (or by the new 24"). The CPUs are mostly the same, and they are still to cheap to provide 4gb of ram on every model (like there is on many 1100$ PC laptops). The video card is still weak, considering the price you pay for a MBP.
Overall, I think that they improved the MB, besides the fact they removed the firewire. And the completly screwed up the MBP. You pay the same as before,but you get less. It's ridiculous.

Sorry Apple, but now you lost me for good.

I think I'm going to get a new Sony Vaio. I've had mine since 2003 and it's still running but it's due to be changed.
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 am

Removing the FW400 port on the MBP doesn't change anything, the MBP just had 1x FW800 bus connected to both ports. There is no performance difference at all just daisychaining everything off the 800 port. :thumbright: