Waldorf Largo

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Pighood

Re: Waldorf Largo

Post by Pighood » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 am

Mit einer Naughtyschtiff.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 am

MitchK1989 wrote:
masstronaut wrote:Two sub oscillators and 'freely drawable' 16 step LFO waveforms.

Please to add to Blofeld. Thx.
How would you draw LFO waveforms on the blofeld?
Something like those magnetic thingies kids used to draw, the ones with two knobs...I'm sorry, I don't know how those things are called, back in the days they had 2 side knobs and a sweep which would clear the drawing.

You would basically use the 2 knobs under the monitor to draw your waveform...

...way too naif? :D

something like this, but they had knobs instead of the pencil.

Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:27 am

Etch-a-sketch?
Stephen(2)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Ha.

Yeah exactly, wiv the knobs innit, s'not hard. How does the RS7000 do it, for instance.

But anyway that's why I had scare quotes. If you look at the pic of Largo it's not really 'freely drawable', looks more like there are 16 steps you can the set intensities of, along with a 'contour' setting. This is clearly doable on the Blofeld display.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:57 am

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:49 pm

The manual is available for download from the Waldorf site.

Tough call between the Largo and the Blofeld. I decided on Largo for now - if I really like it, I may get the hardware.

Deciding factors for me were:
Studio space
Cost
Ease of programming (big UI with all controls vs. menu diving with 8 knobs)
Multiple outputs via software
I can run my host at higher quality if I want vs. Blofeld's fixed output quality.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:33 am

Demo version of Largo now available from Waldorf - 30 day trial. I haven't yet installed it, more when I do!

http://demo.waldorfmusic.de/

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 am

I've just messed around with the demo version for the last half hour. Did the demoing on the headphones.

Like all Waldorf product on the original release, there is still a lot to be implement.

The four part multi/timbral Layer is a bit crooked. It does not support freely assignable preset. The four individual instruments are saved with the multi-timbral patch. In fact, the preset browsing is actually the multi browsing. I was quite puzzled when I was activating slot number two and trying to assign a new preset with the preset browser to find out I was constantly changing slot 1 presets. So if you were thinking of putting a string pad on slot 1 with preset 86 and on slot 2 a bass with preset 34 and on slot 3 a lead with preset 45, well think about it it`s going to be tedious. The slots are more oriented to be used as layers to add to the original sound.

There is no way to browse by sound category. You can specify a category to a sound, but no way to browse by category. So what the point of assigning category,

Presets are really dry sounding. It does show off the quality of the filters and the oscillator (and they sounds solid). The drive curve are okay when applied is small quantity., but still lack the originality of a famous VA renown for it Osc Saturation. Going through few of the preset, I found few to be musically applicable. Not many triggered impulsive creativity for playing. Maybe a new genre of music appeared in Germany and wasn`t aware of it. No I don`t want the Jump preset. But at least a few classic sounds. The number of preset is low. I think I counted 128. Even for hardware synth 128 is way outdated. But the sound quality reminds me of hardware Analogue VA... which is good.

The graphic quality of the interface is gorgeous, but full of drop down arrow, lots of stuff written in little format. There is a lot of parameters cramped in there and the GUI fills my laptop screen. It took me 30 seconds to find a way to scroll through a wavetable and it is hard with a mouse to set at an exact value. Believe me, you will have to use this thing with a intelligent remote controller and map some control. Some parameters are hard to grab with a mouse click and makes you go nuts.

If I would be buying the Largo synth like right now ? No, not today. I'll give it a run with my Novation Remote SL before. Maybe I am getting old, but nowadays, the fewer parameters, the better it is, which is not the case of Largo.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:53 pm

The UI isn't perfect (some very good points cited above).

However I would reiterate this thing SOUNDS AMAZING. Seriously. I love it.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 am

128 presets- probably because its a demo...

you can *sort* the list of presets by category...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:48 pm

it sounds nice,

i wonder if this counts as replacement for a ppg wave when the filter isnt used, but fed through a waldorf miniworks 4pole...

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:20 am

Cerebral Infect wrote: The four part multi/timbral Layer is a bit crooked. It does not support freely assignable preset. The four individual instruments are saved with the multi-timbral patch. In fact, the preset browsing is actually the multi browsing. I was quite puzzled when I was activating slot number two and trying to assign a new preset with the preset browser to find out I was constantly changing slot 1 presets.
I still haven't spent enough time with it to figure this out (..or read any documentation). The layers/timbrality functionality is not as intuitive as it first appears. Other than that and the seriously lame preset list (click a fiddly arrow, no sort that I can find, useless categories) I absolutely love the interface. Sonic flexibility is amazing, sequential filters including comb + - and wavetables are sweet. Can make some seriously creepy, otherworldly, living sounds with girth and body. My microQ still sounds more .. immediate, though. Still the squeeky cleanest sound I can make. Which may be due to my setup - I really don't have a lot of experience running softsynths - they're both running through my firewire interface, though - no direct monitoring.

edit- Also, I think *all* virtual knobs should respond to the mouse wheel. I have knobs I can assign, but I'd like it to respond automatically (or optionally) to the wheel.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:36 am

snsr wrote:
Cerebral Infect wrote: no sort that I can find
Edit drop down menu over the patch name... "Sort By..."

Which doesn't seem to work too well.

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:24 am

Yeah, I've found the kinda off "sort by categories" button. You have to select the last preset and then click sort by categories to make it work. A Categorie button that sorts the presets would be welcomed.

Again, the user interface is nice. But there is a lot of information. An hardware controller is a must, specially if you like to scan through wavetables.

My last thoughts as my demo period as ended is that god, it is CPU hungry. Although I run a 3 years old laptop (dual core 1.66ghz 2.5gig ram) it is the most power hungry softsynth I ever came accross. So to the eternal debacle of : What's the points of having Hardware VA synth ? Well, think of them of external DSP cards, because running 1 instance of Largo and a few other softsynth will send your laptop in glitching universe or requires high latency.

It would be really great if the hardware VA manufacturer would release a joint DSP synth platform developpement a la powercore. That would means less dongles with knobs for me.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

DocT

Post by DocT » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 am

Just a few Largo demos. Drums from Stylus RMX

Necros

LeChiffre

Moussaka

102a

Headache