Live 8 is announced

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Live 8 is announced

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:03 pm

When is the release date?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 am

JSRockit wrote:When is the release date?
They said second quarter of 09. The APC40 was listed as coming out this week but I see stores have bumped the date to May(Nova said first week of April). My guess is they release them at the same time.
Off Topic
Slightly ot I asked Nova what their NAMM price for an APC40 was and they said $369. Just thought I'd share that bit.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:30 am

tunedLow wrote:Ah no, Live as a step sequencer is no problem - what I want is that after I've entered my notes to be able to have functions such as randomize, alter lengths, alter scale, reverse etc.
Well - there's MIDI plugs for random, note length & scale already...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Sorry for the slightly OT post here, but how is Live as a stand alone (i.e. not for live use) sequencer? Can it be your main audio/midi sequencer (like Cubase), or is it more specifically designed for audio use?

Also, how is it with sequencing plug-in automation? Can you just draw in fader/knobs turns or is it something more complicated? I'm still back in the stone ages with Cubase VST 32 but I keep hearing so much about newer versions of Live as good do-it-all sequencers that I'm tempted to move on.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Sorry for the slightly OT post here, but how is Live as a stand alone (i.e. not for live use) sequencer? Can it be your main audio/midi sequencer (like Cubase), or is it more specifically designed for audio use?

Also, how is it with sequencing plug-in automation? Can you just draw in fader/knobs turns or is it something more complicated? I'm still back in the stone ages with Cubase VST 32 but I keep hearing so much about newer versions of Live as good do-it-all sequencers that I'm tempted to move on.
I use Live 7 as my only sequencer. It's very capable in terms of sequencing (you can record, overdub, write notes in, etc. etc.) and can control most/all parameters that the software app makes available to you. Absynth is a little bit of a hassle to deal with because it's such a complex synth, but it's workable. The automation is good - you can display all envelopes simultaneously, and the envelopes have the ranges you'd need/expect; it's easy just to draw in fader/knob turns etc: you select the parameter you want to automate on the mixer on the right (in Arrangement view, in Session view you automate the selected clip but the principle's the same) and a red line comes up across the track. You can double click on points on this to introduce break points to allow you set up straight lines, or you can click off it to move the envelope for that section (as set by the break bars) to the value you've selected with the mouse.

Down sides for Live would be:
1). poor MIDI timing to external sources. This is only hearsay, I've never really encountered it myself so can't comment further.
2). hmm, trying to think of problems I encounter with it. Haven't used it much lately (v. busy). I suppose the only thing I can say is that I don't think the onboard compressors, EQs, and distortion FX are particularly good (though 7 did see an improvement to the EQ I think). Versatile, certainly, but don't sound as good as alternatives (which isn't a problem for me). Other effects are good for the most part.

Wish they'd introduce a Ring Mod with v8. I need to have a more thorough look at this update before I decide on whether it's worth it for me. Max/MSP would probably be the deal-sealer - a simplified programme for me to use would be great.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote: Down sides for Live would be:
1). poor MIDI timing to external sources. This is only hearsay, I've never really encountered it myself so can't comment further.
Is this true in other people's experience? This was something I plan to do in the future and would seriously ruin my plans.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm

AFAIK, Ableton have tightened it up. Perhaps it's a problem when trying to control lots of devices (I currently control two).

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:33 pm

2). hmm, trying to think of problems I encounter with it. Haven't used it much lately (v. busy). I suppose the only thing I can say is that I don't think the onboard compressors, EQs, and distortion FX are particularly good (though 7 did see an improvement to the EQ I think). Versatile, certainly, but don't sound as good as alternatives (which isn't a problem for me). Other effects are good for the most part.

Wish they'd introduce a Ring Mod with v8. I need to have a more thorough look at this update before I decide on whether it's worth it for me. Max/MSP would probably be the deal-sealer - a simplified programme for me to use would be great.
thanks for input-helpful! I assume you can use any VSTs right, so you're not limited to their on-board stuff right?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Indeed - it's very easy to use VSTs with Live. Just install it and put the .dll file into your plugin directory and then allow Live to scan (which it does every time it starts). I have noticed, though, that it doesn't necessarily scan plugins correctly - I was having issues with, I think, Blue Cat Parametr'EQ where I didn't have the code the first time I started it up, and so Live ignored it after it had first asked me whether or not I had the code. Rescanning failed to pick up the VST even when I had the code. A simple fix though - I moved the .dll out the plugin file, started Live (so it rescanned its plugin set, and so Parametr'EQ wasn't there), closed Live again, then moved the .dll back in and restarted Live. Bingo, rescanned correctly and asked me for the key.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 am

JSRockit wrote:
Is this true in other people's experience? This was something I plan to do in the future and would seriously ruin my plans.
I use version 6 and I haven't noticed any problems with the timing of the midi signal to external devices but I have noticed that the midi clock out is very messy. Stuff slaved to it just drifts all over the place, but I've heard this was a particular problem with 6 and they were working on fixing it. If you're using Live as your only sequencer it's not a problem.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:08 am

krushing wrote:
tunedLow wrote:Ah no, Live as a step sequencer is no problem - what I want is that after I've entered my notes to be able to have functions such as randomize, alter lengths, alter scale, reverse etc.
Well - there's MIDI plugs for random, note length & scale already...
Any suggestions for mac? But regardless, they still couldn't as flexible as scripting your own. I'd like all these features built into the sequencer itself, being able to apply the functions to specific notes in a sequence and have the results applied immediately within the sequencer.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:16 am

I think he's talking about the Random, Note Length and Scale plugs that come with Live, and therefore work on Mac or PC.

I know what you mean though, you can't exactly make a step sequencer with all the features you'd want with the plugins in Live. And the flexibility of having something that interfaces with the APC so you've got direct step control without using the mouse can't be overstated.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:35 pm

And I guess that that's where the Max/MSP stuff is going to fit in. :D Guess we'll have to wait and see. One thing I'm willing to bet on, though, is that it'll be very well integrated into the Live environment - Ableton have a good record of making their plugins nice and easy to keep out the way.

Hades
Gear: XV88,JX10,Juno60/A6/Fizmo/KStation
/Matrix1000/K5000/
Xbase888/TB303/Fireworx/H8000fw/
NI Komplete/Omni/Live Suite 8/MacbookPro/Midas/Focal Twins

Post by Hades » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 pm

well, you do have the MIDI fx scale, random and note length :lol:
but I know what you mean... :wink:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: I use version 6 and I haven't noticed any problems with the timing of the midi signal to external devices but I have noticed that the midi clock out is very messy. Stuff slaved to it just drifts all over the place, but I've heard this was a particular problem with 6 and they were working on fixing it. If you're using Live as your only sequencer it's not a problem.
Yeah, I've been using Live for many years... but never sync hardware to it... however, once 8 arrives, I will be doing this. It'll only be like one machine at a time so it should work out fine.