Live 8 is announced

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Live 8 is announced

Post by space6oy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 am

how much did you pay for the upgrade to 7? i just bought 7 last month and it's $59 for me to upgrade. (still not bad at all, just curious.)

better than the $70 garmin charges for a GPS update that ought to be free & automatic. f**k.

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:58 am

I think it was like $140 or close to it.

Garmin = f**k... you mean "f**k pringle bastards" : )
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

electro funker

Post by electro funker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Shanesaw wrote:Ah, this seems like the appropriate place to put this.

I upgraded from Live 6 to 7 about a month or so ago. Today I got an email from Ableton advising me to upgrade to 8 and also get Collision and Latin Percussion. At first I thought, "Great! How much is this gonna cost me..." Turns out that this upgrade is completely FREE and it's like a $317USD upgrade! I've never experienced this kind of treatment from any company.
K, gotta get busy.
Ok, so you got a free upgrade, I really hate ableton for doing this, because, I will proberly never get a mail like that, though it could be really great!

Hades
Gear: XV88,JX10,Juno60/A6/Fizmo/KStation
/Matrix1000/K5000/
Xbase888/TB303/Fireworx/H8000fw/
NI Komplete/Omni/Live Suite 8/MacbookPro/Midas/Focal Twins

Post by Hades » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:55 pm

electro funker wrote:
Shanesaw wrote:Ah, this seems like the appropriate place to put this.

I upgraded from Live 6 to 7 about a month or so ago. Today I got an email from Ableton advising me to upgrade to 8 and also get Collision and Latin Percussion. At first I thought, "Great! How much is this gonna cost me..." Turns out that this upgrade is completely FREE and it's like a $317USD upgrade! I've never experienced this kind of treatment from any company.
K, gotta get busy.
Ok, so you got a free upgrade, I really hate ableton for doing this, because, I will proberly never get a mail like that, though it could be really great!
they'll only give the upgrade for free since he got Live 7 so recently.
that's normal policy.
but why they throw in their 2 new instruments as well is something I don't really understand either...

so why could you never get an email like that ?
I got an email with a 30€ discount code in januray, when they first announced Live 8.
I quote from their mail : "We also want to say "Thank You" to our loyal Live community"

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:40 pm

electro funker wrote: Ok, so you got a free upgrade, I really hate ableton for doing this
The term is "grace period", I believe.
because, I will proberly never get a mail like that, though it could be really great!
You could sign up for their mailinglist.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:23 am

Hades wrote:they'll only give the upgrade for free since he got Live 7 so recently.
that's normal policy.
but why they throw in their 2 new instruments as well is something I don't really understand either...
I'm guessing because it was Live 7 Suite that was bought, and 8 Suite includes the new instruments?

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hades wrote:they'll only give the upgrade for free since he got Live 7 so recently.
that's normal policy.
I'm guessing because it was Live 7 Suite that was bought, and 8 Suite includes the new instruments?
That would do it.

Hades
Gear: XV88,JX10,Juno60/A6/Fizmo/KStation
/Matrix1000/K5000/
Xbase888/TB303/Fireworx/H8000fw/
NI Komplete/Omni/Live Suite 8/MacbookPro/Midas/Focal Twins

Post by Hades » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
that's normal policy.
maybe my 4 eyes don't function no more, :oops:
but how do you know he got Live suite ?
I don't see him mentioning it anywhere... :shock:

Shanesaw

Post by Shanesaw » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 pm

guess I should have mentioned that. Yes, it's Live 8 suite.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 am

Hades wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
that's normal policy.
maybe my 4 eyes don't function no more, :oops:
but how do you know he got Live suite ?
I don't see him mentioning it anywhere... :shock:
That was the guessing part. :D

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:01 am

so shanesaw, what's your initial reaction to the upgrade?

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 am

I'm curious too - I was h**l bent on the upgrade, but after reading the forums for the folks who beta tested it on the Ableton forums, I'm worried that I may regret trading new features for a buggy app. So I may hold off for a bit and see how its going for others. It looks like Max for Live won't be ready for a bit anyway.

Shanesaw

Post by Shanesaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:00 am

I'm liking it so far. I haven't messed about with all of the new stuff too much. The Looper tool is really cool and I like the implementation of the new warp engine thing. Before I upgraded I never really used warp points too much but now it seems more functional to me. As for the new instrument (Collision) and the upgraded Operator, well, I haven't gotten around to using them yet. Funny thing - I think Live's instruments sound pretty good and are very useful but I find myself recording my hardware most of the time then manipulating the audio from there. Oh well, different strokes...
What else, ah, the vocoder. I just finished playing around with it and I've gotta say that it's REALLY good. Keep in mind, however, I only have experience with the microKORG voc and now this one so I have no idea how it would compare to any other vocoder out there. Maybe I'll put together a little demo soon. I do like Live's vocoder far more than the microKORG's though.
The frequency shifter and overdrive tools are great too. There's a few more things to try but so far, I think the upgrade is great!

As far as bugs, I have not experienced any yet. Well, at least nothing obvious.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 am

Cool. I'm also interested in hearing how you like the beat mapping and extration tool. What platform and OS are you using?

Shanesaw

Post by Shanesaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 am

Are you talking about Grooves? If so, then no not yet. I forgot about it already so I had to check out the ableton site for some guidance. I'm gonna give it a try real quick.

Hmm... Just tried dropping various grooves onto a percussion heavy track I made. It definitely gives it a different feel. Pretty cool, just grab one and drop it on the clip in either arrangement or session view...