Where the Best Analog Emulations Succeed & Where They Don't

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Where the Best Analog Emulations Succeed & Where They Don't

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

softsynths dont alter their sound if temperature changes 8)

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm

pflosi wrote:softsynths dont alter their sound if temperature changes 8)
thankfully. :lol:

Neither does a good analog though.

toad

Post by toad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

MitchK1989 wrote: I wish someone would make a real analog with plugin integration like the virus TI... Or even an interfaceless box that acted as a DSP expansion card (like UAD or powercore) but was actually a bunch of analog oscillators and filters that can be used to run various synth and filter effect programs (the envelopes and lfos and such could be digital)... But I wouldn't fool myself into thinking it would make my music any better. It would just be a kickass fun thing to have.
Something like this?
http://www.sknote.it/hardware.htm

Seems pretty cool...

Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:27 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:D-Cam Synthsquad: Not out yet. The new bundle from fxpansion deals with audio rate analog stuff in one of the three synths, they all seem to do better in the analog emulation domain in many ways compared to most, and amber is pretty interesting (actual emulation of divide down circuitry to create string machine esque tones)

I'm afraid those are the only actual analog modeled synths I've really tried (or in the case of D-Cam, researched/listened to tons of sound examples... On the site there's just usual song examples, but the DSP developer has been explaining lots of things and posting dry comparison examples and things on KVR for the past week or so)... I've never had much interest in the generic nord/virus style VA softsynths... Just stuff that goes for somewhat purist analog style quirky stuff with drive in the signal chain and whatnot and wavetable/fm/additive digital stuff...
I've been reading through that KVR thread...very interesting stuff. Sounds like it's going to be a really good package and pretty reasonably priced.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 am

Yeah... D-Cam, live 8, max for live, an apogee duet, and an APC40 will probably make up my gear purchases for the year... Zebra 2 might finally make it into my plugin folder too.

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:14 pm

toad wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote: I wish someone would make a real analog with plugin integration like the virus TI... Or even an interfaceless box that acted as a DSP expansion card (like UAD or powercore) but was actually a bunch of analog oscillators and filters that can be used to run various synth and filter effect programs (the envelopes and lfos and such could be digital)... But I wouldn't fool myself into thinking it would make my music any better. It would just be a kickass fun thing to have.
Something like this?

Seems pretty cool...
That sknote thing looks a bit like what I'd hoped for before the release of Volta. Interesting product but the sound samples aren't so great imo, he makes a point of doing a poly sound showing no zippering from the envelopes (still sounds a little rought to me) but then sounds 3 & 5 have clearly audible zippering.

Bross

Post by Bross » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:36 pm

I think portamento needs improvement. Has anyone encountered switchable linear/log/exp options for portamento on a Softsynth/VA? The Softsynths and VAs I've tried all have the note slide evenly. (I would call this linear though linear/log/exp seem to be used differently by different people).

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Yoozer wrote:Where they don't:
- phase stability, if you could call it that. I wish I still had the link to the video where a Moog 901 was hooked up to a scope and you saw the center of the waveform move back and forth like crazy.
it's funny you mention this, specifically in regards to the Moog 901. I guess that's what the Andromeda's oscillators are based on, and jesus, does that thing warble! I looked at it on a scope and couldn't believe how unstable it was, but I could also hear this with my own ears. And with two oscillators in unison, it phased wildly and irregularly, far beyond any other ancient analog I have. This was actually the reason I sold it in the end-for me, there gets to a point where there can be TOO much analog!

So in this sense, I agree, this is one area where VAs lack, and it's not specifically something that comes from just wacking a random LFO on the pitch (though saying that, I recreated the amount of intense warble on my andromeda with my Xpander by doing just that! :? )
MitchK1989 wrote: One is strobe (a softsynth by fxpansion that's part of the upcoming d-cam synth squad pack) and one is an SH-101.
hmmm... through my shitty headphones at work, I can't tell to be honest. Though an ultra-stable SH-101 isn't the first synth I would go to to demonstrate "analog" against VA.

Anyways, I accept the usefulness of total recall, and ability to instantly save using plugins, and I use them often (probably more than hardware! :oops: ). But that doesn't stop me from wanting the tactile satisfaction you get from a dedicated interface right there in front of you (whether analog or VA). And at the end of the day, there is just something intrinsically FUN about tweaking some old beast that has it's quirks... regardless of its sound.
Do you even post on vse bro?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:38 am

One word: resonance. :)

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:10 am

Yes it's sweet when VAs try resonance. Like my Waldorf Q compared to the smooth, deep or insane sounds of my SY1 and SRM.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

yezaev

Post by yezaev » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 am

MitchK1989 wrote:http://www.vellocet.com/SynthSquadAudio ... gi_res.wav

Check that out and see if you can tell which one of the two sweeps is analog.

One is strobe (a softsynth by fxpansion that's part of the upcoming d-cam synth squad pack) and one is an SH-101.
I'm guessing the 101 is first, it sounds just more 'electric' at the top of the sweep. I'd be curious to know if I was right though :)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:50 am

kayvon wrote:
toad wrote:
Something like this?

Seems pretty cool...
That sknote thing looks a bit like what I'd hoped for before the release of Volta. Interesting product but the sound samples aren't so great imo, he makes a point of doing a poly sound showing no zippering from the envelopes (still sounds a little rought to me) but then sounds 3 & 5 have clearly audible zippering.

I can't really figure out what this thing is-is it basically synth hardware controlled from a VST front end? I guess it's a good stripped down option for someone willing to program solely via their pc.
Do you even post on vse bro?