Best software?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
andrew13

Best software?

Post by andrew13 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm looking for some new software for my MIDI controller. I want this software to have lots of sounds and instruments sounds and a good sampling capability. Does anyone know what software would be good for this? So far I've stuck with Ableton live but it lacks the many instrument sounds I'm looking for and sampling is annoying. Could anyone please help?
M-Audio oxygen 49, Microkorg, Alesis Micron.
I only wish I could own a Clavia Nord lead 2.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Best software?

Post by Yoozer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:41 pm

andrew13 wrote:I'm looking for some new software for my MIDI controller.
The term software is ambiguous. The word "best" is ambiguous - there's only what works best for you.
I want this software to have lots of sounds and instruments sounds and a good sampling capability.
All sequencers suck in terms of instruments that are included. Basing your choice of sequencer on this is unwise, as it's meant to be a system that has to be expanded.
Does anyone know what software would be good for this? So far I've stuck with Ableton live but it lacks the many instrument sounds I'm looking for
Then the problem is not Ableton Live, but a lack of plugins.
and sampling is annoying
Sampling in Ableton's pretty much the easiest way to handle it, really. You record from the audio input. You cut away the bits you don't need, and you drag it into Sampler or Simpler. Granted, a wave-editor would be handier, but that's why Ableton has an EDIT button (and other sequencers have this too - why pay extra for an integrated wave editor when even a free app like Audacity is going to do the job better, and in full screen?)

What kind of sounds are you looking for? What are you willing to spend?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.