now that some time has passed, new macbook vs white one?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
propel

now that some time has passed, new macbook vs white one?

Post by propel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 am

basically, i remember there being tons on threads on the subject when the new one came out with all sorts of complaints, but i haven't seen any of the likes of an overview after a couple of months of using a new mac book with softsynths

can anyone give me a run down of the pros and cons now that they've been using it for a while? or did no one dare buy one of music purposes #-o i'm going to be buying etheir the new one or the white one in the next couple of weeks and although i'm leaning towards the white one (those complaint threads scared me away from the new one) , i just wanna make sure that it's the right decision now that the new macbook has had some time to exist

thanks,

david

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Re: now that some time has passed, new macbook vs white one?

Post by Johnny Lenin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:21 pm

A friend of mine just got the 13" alu MacBook to replace her white 13" MacBook. The new screen is much better and the keyboard is just amazing. It has a virtual right click button on the trackpad. The new MacBook does not have firewire and only two USB ports.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:29 pm

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:55 pm

The only issue with the newest design of the Macbook is that it does not have firewire... that is it. If you need FW, then you get the old one or a Pro version... if not, then you get the newest one.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 am

after having tried out the new aluminum ones... I'd go for the aluminum unless you require firewire.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 am

JSRockit wrote:The only issue with the newest design of the Macbook is that it does not have firewire... that is it. If you need FW, then you get the old one or a Pro version... if not, then you get the newest one.
There was also the issue of the base aluminium one not being as powerful as the cheaper old one, but now that they've been 'upgraded' to the same specs that's not an issue.

propel

Post by propel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:37 am

alright thanks,

yeah with the new upgrades on the white ones i'm reallyyyyyyyy leaning towards picking up one of those (i was planing on adding a gig of ram and the extra disk space so that makes me happy :D), i don't think i can come up with the extra 300$ at the moment

is the "new" white macbook becoming obsolete an issue? also, are there softsynths that don't work on the new videocard? i remember someone telling me that..

thanks,

david

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:59 am

you know, the "new" white macbook has a slower CPU than my 2007 white macbook. i need firewire & don't want a larger laptop so i'll be sticking to my 2007 one.

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:59 am

I got the new Macbook and love it. It's the best lap top I've had yet. So the lack of firewire can be annoying sometimes - but there are ways around that. For one thing, using USB 2.0 drives has been flawless, they seem to have worked faster than firewire 400, they are lighter, cheaper and easier to find than firewire drives.

I use my Macbook with Pro Tools LE all the time (and an Mbox Micro) for editing/monitoring usually. With only 2 USB ports, there are limits, but I prefer the opportunity that presents me to slim down and tidy up my usage. I mean, with previous laptops, you'd find yourself hooking up multiple drives, audio I/O, MIDI keyboards, speakers - and the next thing you know you have very non-portable set up. If you want all that, don't get a slim economy lap top like the new Macbook.

Beyond the audio world, the Macbook is a perfectly powerful computer essentially equivalent to any iMac desktop system, with no problem at all playing games, business and productivity apps, internet and networking (I regularly use my Macbook's screen sharing feature to wirelessly remote control my full Mac Pro Pro Tools HD systems too), desktop imaging, final cut pro, disc burning, etc...

No regrets here, and I make my living in music/audio production!!! It is my mobile "work" computer. But then, I also have a Mac Pro desktop for the "real" work.
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

oberheim
Gear: Lots of Korg's, Kawai's, Roland's, Akai's and Emu's. Plus a Yamaha, Nord and Oberheim.

Post by oberheim » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:26 pm

I bought a white macbook almost a year ago (2.13ghz, 1gig ram) and it's been brilliant. I'm running Logic Studio, Live 7, and Pro Tools 8 le with no problems, it's happily running 3 daisy chained firewire drives and about 6 USB devices too. With the bigger RAM option of the newer white models and the fact they're cheaper....
[RO] SH101, D550, D-110 JV1080, MKS70, S750, S550 [KW] K1r, K5m, R-50 [AK] S700, S1100, [EMU] ESI32, ESI2000, Proteus 1 [KRG] EX800, X5dr, M3r, Wavestation SR, P3, Symphony, DW6000, DSS1, DS-8, Poly61, S3, DDD1, [NV] A Station, [OB] Matrix1000, [NRD] MicroMod, [YAM] TX7

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:06 am

You really can't go wrong wither way... I needed FW and didn't want the older macbook...so I splurged and got the new Macbook Pro...comes tomorrow. :)
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:14 am

I was looking to save a little money and I liked my old 1.83 white Macbook so much that I bought a 2.4 white macbook and put my 200GB Hitachi drive in it. I personally like the look of the white. I've never been a fan of the cold aluminum. It never appealed to me. But besides aesthetics, you can't go wrong with any Macbook. Just make sure it suits your needs (FW or USB).
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Well although I'm a little worried about the white look, I was keen on the price and firewire... Should turn up after the weekend [-o<

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 pm

i recently got one of the older white macbooks and im loving it. glad it has a firewire port.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]