Need Some Direction in MIDI PC software

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
iainnitro
Gear: Macintosh MacBook Pro (2012) with 16mb RAM/500GB Hard drive, Arturia V Collection, Pro Tools 11, Akai Max 49 MIDI Controller, Focusrite 6i6 interface.

Need Some Direction in MIDI PC software

Post by iainnitro » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Greetings All:

Though I have always loved synthesizers, I know very little about working with them. Back in 1982 or so, my uncle gave me a ARP Axxe (which regrettably I sold for only $300 in about 1986). It did not function so I didn't learn how to play or anything. Was into guitar then ;-)

Now at 38 (be 39 this year) I decided to learn to play and bought a Korg DW6000 (just yesterday in fact) and I am looking for a MIDI solution for my Windows Vista laptop (64 bit). To that end I purchased an M-Audio UNO MIDI to USB interface which is now setup with Windows and the keyboard and I am looking for MIDI software to add sequencing and whatever else to my setup. I suppose in the future I will want to record things, but right now just want to extend the keyboard. I am looking for suggestions on software and budget is a huge consideration!

Help is appreciated.

BTW: If you are interested in my laundry list of keyboards that I am seeking I have a blog entry on this:

Mike Needham's Blog -- New Synth Purchase

Thanks again for any help in this direction. NOTE: While budget is a major concern, I do want a good package so suggestions other than Cakewalk Sonar (that was more than the keyboard cost) would be good.

iainnitro
Gear: Macintosh MacBook Pro (2012) with 16mb RAM/500GB Hard drive, Arturia V Collection, Pro Tools 11, Akai Max 49 MIDI Controller, Focusrite 6i6 interface.

Re: Need Some Direction in MIDI PC software

Post by iainnitro » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Guys:

I found that a purchase I made may do the trick, there is a piece of software that I have used a lot that runs USD $70 approximately called N-Track Studio and I bought it to do some other audio work as an alternative to Audition (Cool Edit) by Adobe. It apparently supports VST and Ableton plugins and does do MIDI.

I know how it works as a general recording application, but has anyone used it for MIDI?

Just wanted to pass on the results of my further research.

Still interested in suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:19 pm

i suggest one of the big DAWs,

like logic (ok, not logic, ur into windows...), digital performer (maybe also not good with windows...), ableton live, cubase, reaper...

they all can send and receive midi and audio... and u would get more support (at least in forums) than with unpopular DAWs

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:58 pm

Reaper might be the best place to start - free trial version, and buying it is only $50
virb.com/ookpikk

iainnitro

Post by iainnitro » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for all the leads guys. I am looking at Reaper and @pflosi, I used to be on a mac but when I needed to be portable and do my real job (which is programming for MS web development) it made more since to buy my current laptop for $599 (I am working for myself) than to spend $3000+ on a Mac that would be the equivalent and then have to compile everything on some PC anyhow... so I respect the Mac, but for current professional reasons, must use the PC :-) I do have an old iMac Slot load G3 that I think needs a new hard drive, but it may not have enough horsepower to run anything or then again, maybe there is some older software that will work fine with my older keyboard and the ones I plan to obtain as well! FYI the only OSX version that the iMac could run would be 10.3.8 (pre-Tiger).

@all
I really appreciate all the input you guys have supplied and I am thankful for this and any future help! This site is a great resource!!!

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 am

+1 on Reaper