Any VSTI versions of these synths?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Any VSTI versions of these synths?

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Korg DS-8, korg 707, Yamaha YS200

These are all FM synths: FM8.

Korg 01/W, Korg N364, Korg X3, Korg 05R/W

These were all based on the Korg M1 architecture: Korg Legacy Digital Edition.

Roland U-20

Just a sample playback machine: any soft sampler.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:10 am

meatballfulton wrote:Korg DS-8, korg 707, Yamaha YS200

These are all FM synths: FM8.

Korg 01/W, Korg N364, Korg X3, Korg 05R/W

These were all based on the Korg M1 architecture: Korg Legacy Digital Edition.

Roland U-20

Just a sample playback machine: any soft sampler.

I dunno if it's that simple to say that the Korg M1 VSTI can emulate those other M1-based synths, as you would have to have the same ROM samples. The synthesis methods are different too from what I read.

As for the U-20, I doubt just any soft sampler would do. You still have to have the same ROM samples and the same type of synthesis method as well.

The FM8 emulating the Korg DS-8, Korg 707, and Yamaha YS200 seems possible though being as you don't have to deal with having the same ROM samples. I wonder if the FM8 can do the same presets of those synths.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm

rickyd wrote: I dunno if it's that simple to say that the Korg M1 VSTI can emulate those other M1-based synths, as you would have to have the same ROM samples. The synthesis methods are different too from what I read.
AI-synthesis was recycled to death, and you'll find a lot of the same waveforms in the later models carried over from earlier ones.
As for the U-20, I doubt just any soft sampler would do. You still have to have the same ROM samples and the same type of synthesis method as well.
Yes, but the ROM is a problem with every sample-based synth. If you wanted to, you could just let SampleRobot or something do it. As for type of synthesis - 4 partials, not even the more complex structure of the D50, and it's not really like a lot of people use the different structures anyway. Even then, there are ways; just not readily available ones.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

toad

Post by toad » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 am

The Proteus VX is a pretty good substitute for lame 90's romplers:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/s/emu/downlo ... -for-free/
It has all the waveforms from the Proteus 2000 module.
You can also get it straight from the E-mu website, all you have to do is sign up for their newsletter.

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:54 am

Yoozer wrote:
rickyd wrote: I dunno if it's that simple to say that the Korg M1 VSTI can emulate those other M1-based synths, as you would have to have the same ROM samples. The synthesis methods are different too from what I read.
AI-synthesis was recycled to death, and you'll find a lot of the same waveforms in the later models carried over from earlier ones.
Yes, but the ROM is a problem with every sample-based synth. If you wanted to, you could just let SampleRobot or something do it. As for type of synthesis - 4 partials, not even the more complex structure of the D50, and it's not really like a lot of people use the different structures anyway. Even then, there are ways; just not readily available ones.

Yea, the later models would probably be able to emulate the M1 being as some of the waveforms are carried over, but wat I'm saying is that it won't work vise versa because the M1 doesnt have the same waveforms as the later models mentioned.

steveman

Post by steveman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 am

rickyd wrote:These are some hardware synths that I came on the main site and saw and had gained some interest in. I was just wondering if any of you guys know if there are any good (Close to the real thing, not shitty) VSTI versions of the following ones listed...

Casio CZ-1
Roland D-50
Casio VZ-1
Casio FZ-1
Yamaha V50
Yamaha SY-77
Korg DS-8
Roland D-10
Roland JD800
Roland JD990
korg 707
Korg 01/W
Korg MEX
Kawai K1
Roland Alpha Juno 2
Yamaha SY-22
Korg N364
Sequential Circuits ProphetVS
Korg X3
Korg 05R/W
Roland U-20
Roland D-70
Roland D-20
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha YS200

Sorry for the list being extensive. lol. I am aware that some of those synths cannot be emulated at all, but the ones that can, I wonder if there are any VSTI versions floating out there.

The VSTI's I currently have are

Korg Legacy Collection Digital - Korg M1 & Wavestation
Native Instruments - FM8 - with sysex from Yamaha DX7, DX11, DX 21, DX27/100, and TX81z
HAHAHA CS01 - Unofficial Yamaha CS01 emulation
SQ8L - Unofficial Ensoniq SQ 80 emulation
TAL-U-No-62 - Unofficial Roland Juno 62 emulation
Arturia - CS-80V - Yamaha CS-80 emulation
As well as a few cheap Casio CZ101 wanna-be clones.

PS. Please no rude comments. I am just asking an innocent question and not looking for an internet argument with anyone. Thank you.
Not sure why you need all those, pretty much all the Korg's you've listed are the same family of instruments, the chances of hearing the differences between them w/o having them in the same room are pretty much nil IMO. I see you've already got the Legacy Collection, unless you've a specific sound in mind I wouldn't waste your time looking for emulations - you've already got the best Korg emulation anyway.

Equally the Roland's you've listed are all pretty much the standard romplers, if you're after the JD990/D50 why on earth bother with a D10/20 or the U-220?

Seems like you gone into 'collecting' mode - easy to do with software as it doesn't take any space. Maybe you should narrow it down to stuff that really sounds distinctive? I've gone through phases of d/ling loads of plugins, barely use most of them. I had planned on getting the Legacy Collection to replace my M3R and get Wavestation capabilities, but realised I've got swirly evolving pads covered with Absynth and I'm OK with the M3R.

Not being rude or wanting an argument :)

One thing though, I do wish NI would add SY-77/99 (and even FS1R) functionality to FM8, but I suspect the next release will give us a few 1000 more presets and more FX we don't want

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:35 am

steveman wrote:
rickyd wrote:These are some hardware synths that I came on the main site and saw and had gained some interest in. I was just wondering if any of you guys know if there are any good (Close to the real thing, not shitty) VSTI versions of the following ones listed...

Casio CZ-1
Roland D-50
Casio VZ-1
Casio FZ-1
Yamaha V50
Yamaha SY-77
Korg DS-8
Roland D-10
Roland JD800
Roland JD990
korg 707
Korg 01/W
Korg MEX
Kawai K1
Roland Alpha Juno 2
Yamaha SY-22
Korg N364
Sequential Circuits ProphetVS
Korg X3
Korg 05R/W
Roland U-20
Roland D-70
Roland D-20
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha YS200

Sorry for the list being extensive. lol. I am aware that some of those synths cannot be emulated at all, but the ones that can, I wonder if there are any VSTI versions floating out there.

The VSTI's I currently have are

Korg Legacy Collection Digital - Korg M1 & Wavestation
Native Instruments - FM8 - with sysex from Yamaha DX7, DX11, DX 21, DX27/100, and TX81z
HAHAHA CS01 - Unofficial Yamaha CS01 emulation
SQ8L - Unofficial Ensoniq SQ 80 emulation
TAL-U-No-62 - Unofficial Roland Juno 62 emulation
Arturia - CS-80V - Yamaha CS-80 emulation
As well as a few cheap Casio CZ101 wanna-be clones.

PS. Please no rude comments. I am just asking an innocent question and not looking for an internet argument with anyone. Thank you.
Not sure why you need all those, pretty much all the Korg's you've listed are the same family of instruments, the chances of hearing the differences between them w/o having them in the same room are pretty much nil IMO. I see you've already got the Legacy Collection, unless you've a specific sound in mind I wouldn't waste your time looking for emulations - you've already got the best Korg emulation anyway.

Equally the Roland's you've listed are all pretty much the standard romplers, if you're after the JD990/D50 why on earth bother with a D10/20 or the U-220?

Seems like you gone into 'collecting' mode - easy to do with software as it doesn't take any space. Maybe you should narrow it down to stuff that really sounds distinctive? I've gone through phases of d/ling loads of plugins, barely use most of them. I had planned on getting the Legacy Collection to replace my M3R and get Wavestation capabilities, but realised I've got swirly evolving pads covered with Absynth and I'm OK with the M3R.

Not being rude or wanting an argument :)

One thing though, I do wish NI would add SY-77/99 (and even FS1R) functionality to FM8, but I suspect the next release will give us a few 1000 more presets and more FX we don't want

Well I wouldnt say that I need all of those. I was just checking on the main site and found some synths that caught my interest. Just wanted to know if there were emulations of them so that I could test them out is all. The synths that I REALLY want to pick up is the Korg 01r/w, Roland Super JX-10, and MAYBE a JV-880 because they have a bunch of sounds that I NEED, but those others I listed just caught my curiosity.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that NI needs to do an emualtion of the SY-77 or 99.Adding it to FM8 would be cool but I doubt they would do it.

I also agree that some ROMplers mentioned may have some of the same base sounds as others in the same family, but there may be a few specifics in there that others may not have. I mean some synths/romplers/whatever just can't substitute for others just because they might be better over-all. There might be a certain sonic character or a few patches that you just can only get from that one synth. So all in all, it's good to check out different synths because you will never know what is useful to you unless you check 'em all out.