ableton live noob question

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

ableton live noob question

Post by killanator » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:53 am

I know this is a noob question but how exactly do i fix the latency settings right so that my live gear will be in sync with anything played by software in ableton? i looked in the manual and couldnt find anything.

EDIT: ok i figured out how to fix it for the midi tracks, however the sync still goes out the same, causing my sampler(which slaves to ableton) to be out of sync. is there any way to send the sync out with a delay as well, or will i have to program all my drum tracks in MIDI?(id rather be able to program them on the electribe).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: ableton live noob question

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

It's in the midi preferences, just change the delay time there.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:38 am

your machines are syncing properly, but then the audio latency is off, and ableton records post-latency if monitoring is on (so that what you hear is what is recorded. It helps when you're playing things in live, doing looping, etc.)

So if you turn off monitoring for the track from your sampler, it should record properly. If you need to monitor through ableton with the lag but still want to record without it, just record to two tracks at once and then delete the monitor track later.

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:14 am

well i understand the sync is fine, but what i mean is can i set the latency on the the midi sync out so it goes like 22.7 ms before?(m y current latency). because i need to be able to monitor the drums through ableton for live performing. i figured today i could set the latency of any software parts forward, but it would be easier to live perform with all the midi parts synced backwards

EDIT: read stab's post, thanks a bunch!