fazortan - good string machine effect plugin?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

fazortan - good string machine effect plugin?

Post by garranimal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Is anyone using d16group's fazortan plug-in? http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=189

I'm wanting to get it for $45 US. Seems like it would be perfect for getting those old-school string machine sounds if used with standard synth plugins.

aeon

Re: fazortan - good string machine effect plugin?

Post by aeon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

garranimal wrote:Seems like it would be perfect for getting those old-school string machine sounds if used with standard synth plugins.
You'd still need to have some way of generating the ensemble effect to get those sounds - the plug you mention would only do the phasing.

Solina has a triple-line, dual-LFO BBD delay system - Roland RS-505 has a quadruple delay-line setup - and more than the string machine engine itself, this ensemble is key to the sound of them. If you want the classic phased stringer sound, you need the raw stringer tone, an ensemble unit, and then that plug (or other phaser).

cheers,
Ian

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi,

The plugin should be available as a downloadable demo, so you can at least try out the phaser on your sounds.
Stephen(2)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks for the input! I'll do the trial version and try an ensemble in the path. Wanting those killer strings, yes. But also wanting to try these approaches with other kinds of sounds and pads to see what happens to them as well.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 am

Ok after only 30 minutes of messing around I'm getting some seriously wicked sounds from this thing! Running a Jupiter-6 through an old beat-up CE-1 pedal (with chorus selected), with TWO! instances of Fazortan on the effects inserts. Getting a fat, juicy resonant vocoder-type thing going on....and yes...I uploaded an example on my old myspace page http://www.myspace.com/wavescanner
look for the file "Fun With Fazortan". No other effects were added to this.

Oh, yeah...and it wasn't bad for a string-machine phaser effect either. Will have to do some examples later.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 am

It does sound pretty wicked (fazortan, that is).

Does anyone know any good string machine style ensemble effects? I guess Amber in the upcoming D-Cam Synth bundle from Fxpansion is supposed to be great for string machine sounds, and you can use it as an effect for its filter and chorus/ensemble effect... I'll have to try it when it comes out, since I think I'll be buying the pack for cypher and strobe anyway.

LBN

Post by LBN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:55 am

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:46 am

All of D16's effects plug ins are all just variations of the same distortion plug in. There really is nothing special about them. Fazorton is nothing more then a weak fazer with some bit crushing really. I was able to get a better effect using Logic's fazer and bit crusher.

I used to like D16 a lot. Lately though they have shown they would rather release new plug ins then work on compatibility on current software. I personally think (even though it is not expensive) that the Fazortan would be a was of money. You already have default plug ins that come with most DAWs that can do the same if not better.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:53 pm

synth3tik wrote:All of D16's effects plug ins are all just variations of the same distortion plug in. There really is nothing special about them. Fazorton is nothing more then a weak fazer with some bit crushing really. I was able to get a better effect using Logic's fazer and bit crusher.

I used to like D16 a lot. Lately though they have shown they would rather release new plug ins then work on compatibility on current software. I personally think (even though it is not expensive) that the Fazortan would be a was of money. You already have default plug ins that come with most DAWs that can do the same if not better.
It isn't not a "rather" question. They're not a one man company. They have guys working on updating the old products, and guys working on making new ones. Also, there's no bit crushing in fazortan. I personally think it provides a somewhat different flavor to logic's phaser, though you have to keep in mind that most DAWs do not come with a phaser anywhere near as flexible or as good sounding as logic's. Probably the main reason I didn't pick up fazortan was not because of logic's phaser, but because I already own the uhbik pack which includes a pretty great one.

EDIT: Also, they've released only two distortions, and one is a model of diode based overdrive pedals and such, and the other is based on modeling both tube and solid state preamp distortion... Not exactly similar.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 am

MitchK1989 wrote: EDIT: Also, they've released only two distortions, and one is a model of diode based overdrive pedals and such, and the other is based on modeling both tube and solid state preamp distortion... Not exactly similar.

Code wise I am sure they are very very similar.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 pm

synth3tik wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote: EDIT: Also, they've released only two distortions, and one is a model of diode based overdrive pedals and such, and the other is based on modeling both tube and solid state preamp distortion... Not exactly similar.

I hear that both codes use FOR loops and IF statements!
virb.com/ookpikk

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
synth3tik wrote:

I hear that both codes use FOR loops and IF statements!
Maybe even class structures!