waldorf edition software thoughts

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: waldorf edition software thoughts

Post by garranimal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 am

I have PPG Wave 2.V (the original Steinberg issue). Recently had my first chance to mess with an EVU and made me appreciate how spot-on the plug-in version was.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 am

Factory all stars wrote:korg m1,303 groovebox and waldorf micro Q lite.selling because i need the money/space and dont really use them.we just need some pads/leads to back up our guitars.
As much as I like the Waldorf Edition, may be the M1 and MC-303 might go, but keep the uQ. I always love the modern sounding pads/leads it produced, which works well in an arrangement. And if you dig the Waldorf Edition, may be you are going to be in love with the uQ again. It always sounds hardware to me compared to the WE which also very good sounding. As for the space issue, the uQ is the biggest sounding - yet the smallest rack unit I ever have other than the Pulse+.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 pm

okay D pole is basically the filter from the Microwave XT and its great. the attack is hard to wrap your head around at first but is a very unique sounding instrument. I dont use PPG 2.v
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:36 am

PPG 2.v is a great plugin. It is close to a PPG and includes the venerable Upper Wave table. The only other Waldorf (I think) which includes this wavetable is the Blofeld. The ability to wrap the wavetable and get those 80's digital sounds is nice.

Attack is very useful although from the original post it sounds as if you aren't really looking for a drum plugin.

DPole is outstanding for running external audio through. It is a gritty processing filter with a decent delay added. I run guitar through it and love the trashy distortion.

Although I think the PPG2.v is very good, there is another (PC only) version that emulates the PPG Wave even better. It is Hermann Seib's "Waveterm C" or WTC.
http://www.hermannseib.com/waveterm/wavesim.shtml

This is as close as it gets. It is more accurate but the use as a vst or plugin is not quite as easy as the Waldorf Edition version.

-David
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:32 am

I thought the Waveterm (Wavesim?) sounded quite different from the old PPG 2.v -plugin. Since I really haven't been able to try out a real PPG it's hard to tell which one is closer. However, since they do indeed sound different, it's hard to imagine both of them sounding "really close" to the original.