Sequencer Software

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
nu-tellar

Re: Sequencer Software

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:13 am

a cs_l you forgot digital performer. ain`t nobody using it here.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:08 pm

try some out, Sonar, tracktion, live are all available as demos so you can at least play around with them. You could also consider buying a decent audio interface which always come with a least one lite version of a program

T-John

Post by T-John » Mon May 04, 2009 12:45 am

I'll hoist a cautious flag for Digital Performer. lately I've switched to Logic 8 for most audio tracking & editing, but DP still holds its own really well when it comes to scoring to picture and some in-dept MIDI editing, IMHO. I guess the follow-up question would be more specifically what you plan to use your sequencing software for?
Gear: Roland JP-4, Siel DK600, Yamaha CS-80

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:09 pm

T-John wrote:I'll hoist a cautious flag for Digital Performer. lately I've switched to Logic 8 for most audio tracking & editing, but DP still holds its own really well when it comes to scoring to picture and some in-dept MIDI editing, IMHO. I guess the follow-up question would be more specifically what you plan to use your sequencing software for?

ok, t-john digital performer is the only one i have use, and i already tood the time to learn it. i unsdertand it and know how it work know. even thougt i would have like it if it was only one or two windows, i know you can configure to use how you wanted, but you always got to use the other windows.
if you so recommend people other software, is there any other softwater you time i should take a look at. got to be easy of use.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:12 am

I recommend Reaper, as you can try it freely until you decide, and when you do want to buy it, it is *very* cheap. Oh, and it's very competent and easy to use. A no-brainer if you ask me when it comes to linear sequencers. You should also check out Renoise, which is one of my absolute favourites. It too is very reasonably priced. It is however a bit more difficult as it is a tracker (well, trackers make total sense to me, but then again I've used them since forever).

Good luck.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:00 am

hey hugo, you mention two daw no to well know, or at least that is how i see it. no one of the big company. i don`t know if, i wanted to change digital performer. but, i like to defenitly give it another daw a try, trying different gear have help to find the want that i like. and since i have only use DP maybe i should take a look at another see the way other daw work. what daw you use of the two?
is reaper as good as digital performer. DP at time for me can get a little clunsy, but i really like is midi way of working. and have never have any crash, or anything like that.

what is up with logic? is it simply, and easy of use.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:39 am

@ nu-tellar:
Personally I have experience with Cakewalk Sonar and Mackie Tracktion of the more 'famous' ones. Compared to these, one of the big plusses Reaper has is that it requires so much less of the computer. The installation file is like 3mb or something, compared to several hundred megabytes on the others (well, much is probably included samples and such, but anyway).
I also find Reaper to be easier to use. It's really quite brilliant.
Sound On Sound magazine has a very favourable review here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09/a ... aper24.htm

Reaper itself can be found here:
http://www.reaper.fm/

Remember you can download and try it fully before you decide whether to go for it or not.

The other prog I mentioned is Renoise - an excellent tracker:
http://www.renoise.com/

It got a 10 out of 10 rating in the May '09 issue of Computer Music Magazine.
Renoise is also fully functional for you to try before you buy. Both progs cost are way cheaper than the 'established' ones.

btw: I turns out Depeche Mode used Renoise on their latest album :D
http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/depe ... y-09/95777

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:25 am

ok thanks hugo76 for your suggestion, i will download reaper, and renoise to my pc as i am looking for a program, for that that i can play live, jam, and experiment. if i like it as much as my current daw, i might intall it on dp.

reaper seen pretty clearly laid out to me.
now renoise seen like something else to me just from the look, the pattern play window, with the bunch of number. is that also and easy program. i will eventually try, when i et the chances but, i like to know if is simply.

Personally I have experience with Cakewalk Sonar and Mackie Tracktion of the more 'famous' ones.

and i only have try garage band, and dp.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:24 pm

@nu-tellar:
Renoise is easy to use once you understand how it works. It's pattern based, and the music 'flows' downwards instead of from left to right. No visual representation of waveforms and such, all is based on the input of notes and numbers. May seem a little difficult at first, but I swear by it.
Good luck!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:08 am

There are still some folks on this forum using the old Voyetra Sequencer Gold software. To me that one was easy to learn and use, very straightforward no-frills sequencing. And not lacking either, lots o' stuff it can do.

ross308
Band: November's Ego

Post by ross308 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:05 pm

go for REAPER !! its great, easy to use, and cheap. also you can try the full uncrippled version for free and it's completely legal and safe. then if you like it and want to use it seriously you buy it at a ridiculously low price. the support on the REAPER forum is great . it is so easy to download and install that you can do it three times by the time it takes you to use dental floss.

if you have 500$ or more to spend you could try cubase but it is not really "easy" to use.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:09 am

wow you guys really like reaper. i am really familiar with dp, i know my way around it, and if am to change is got to be for something that is going to make my life, easier. and inspired me. is there anything that stand out, in this suggested sofware that dp doesn`t.

i will said that i don`t know how other program handled midi. but, for me dp handled midi very well, and is been rck solid for me.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am

My personal favs are Ableton Live and Numerology from extensively demoing them (and using a cut down version of live that came with some hardware), but at the moment the only one I possess is Logic, as at the time I felt I needed a more "conventional" DAW program in order to more easily collaborate and work in a "band" situation... Of course, the band fell apart shortly afterward (my bandmates would rather drink than rehearse it seems, while I'm mostly a teetotaler except for the very occasional glass of wine) so now I kind of wish I had live instead (I'm trying to save the cash)

ronboykin

Post by ronboykin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am

If you have a Mac or Macbook go with Logic Pro 8! It has all you need to create music for records, sound tracks! If you use a PC go with Sonar 8 Producer! I use both! If you can get a copy of Cubase SX 3 or Cubase 4 go with updating them to the latest version (from the Steinberg web site). Cubase Essential 4 is still being produced and supported by Steinberg. Judging how Cubase 4 works for me (yea, I use Cubase SX/Cubase 4 too), Cubase 4 Essential would be a good choice! I'd stay away from Cubase 5 right now! I recently found a unopened copy of Cubase 4 on Ebay from a Japanese seller that was a upgrade (you had to already have a registered copy of Cubase SX to use it because of the dongle), for $100. Cubase 5 had been out for a couple of weeks so I no longer could buy Cubase 4 from Steinberg. I saved $125!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:34 am

Hey ronboykin! You seem pretty excited by Logic! And Sonar! I think you'll find that pretty much any DAW these days has all you need to create music for records or soundtracks! Please can you flesh out your opinions a bit more! Perhaps giving reasons for what you've said! And maybe try to use a few less exclamation points!!!! It makes you seem like a 15 year old rather than the seasoned record producer that I'm sure you are!!!!