Creating an Evolving Patch in Absynth 4

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Garmonia

Creating an Evolving Patch in Absynth 4

Post by Garmonia » Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 am

Hi there,

Starting from an initialized patch, I'm trying to create a timbre such that when a user plays a single MIDI note on a keyboard the timbre evolves and changes over time. I want the timbre to produce a long, rich and sonically interesting sound when only one key is sustained. I only want to make an evolving patch through the use of envelopes, LFOs and other modulation sources.

I was told Absynth was a good synth for doing this but I have no idea where I should start and was just wondering if somebody could give me some help as to where I should begin in starting to make an evolving patch within Absynth?

Thanks a lot for the help! :D

Regards.

Summa

Re: Creating an Evolving Patch in Absynth 4

Post by Summa » Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 pm

A good start for interesting timbre changes would be using looped envelopes or the LFO on morph waves, also Ringmod can be a good source for timbre changes as well as the allpass filter, wave shaper or frequency shifter...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Creating an Evolving Patch in Absynth 4

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Open up any of the hundreds of evolving presets and see how they are put together.

The envelopes can have up to 68 stages (vs. 4 stage ADSR) and can be looped and synched to MIDI clock, that alone gives you plenty to play with for years.

The demo is fully functional (shiuts off after 30 minutes) so you can mess around with it before you decide to buy.

Also take a look at Crystal which is free and Win or Mac.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.