I want to get rid of my Little Phatty, but first...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Kyoto

I want to get rid of my Little Phatty, but first...

Post by Kyoto » Sun May 17, 2009 3:47 pm

I need some advice on some software synths to replace it!

What do you guys recommend I should get? I run Logic Pro 7 on my Macbook Pro and I need something that will sound similar to my LP. I want to be able to manually input all the settings from the presets I have made on my LP into this soft synth and save them all.

I know it isn't the same as the analog goodness of the Moog, but she's a heavy little phatty and hauling her around everywhere is getting a bit tedious! Plus I need to save some money for my holiday so the LP will have to go.

cheers guys.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Re: I want to get rid of my Little Phatty, but first...

Post by stephen » Sun May 17, 2009 9:45 pm

I'd probably go for GForce Minimonsta.
Stephen(2)

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon May 18, 2009 4:55 am

I've tried emulating my Little Phatty using software. The arturia moog stuff is good, it can do some of the leads OK. But not really the basses
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Sugar bytes unique.

The sugar bytes stuff has tons of character, interesting filters and such
blunted daydreaming

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun May 24, 2009 4:25 am

I'd look at U-He's Zebra 2. Not at all like the moog LP architecture wise (much more flexible) but the XMF filter is modeled from one (a moog LP), and there have been numerous blind A/B tests both online and at the musikmesse and namm shows where no one could tell the difference.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue May 26, 2009 2:20 am

There is also Camel Audio Alchemy. If you want a softsynth instead, you should definitely go that route since it's how you see yourself being most comfortable working. You could even buy a Novation SL and Zebra for about half of the LP money you sell it for.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi,
for my ears the better emulations of vintage synth sounds are the Creamware ones. Now that technology is owned by 2 distinct companies. One if the 2, Use Audio, has made a very interesting and affordable desk module which offers the possibility to have really top notch sounds from several emulations (one at time, but polyphonic) one of which is the Minimax that in my opinion is the closest and more convincing emulation of the Mini Moog but offers also emulations of Prophet, Hammond B3, ARP Odyssey, a Vocoder and some very cool other stuff.

I'm a user of Creamware (now Sonic Core) dsp audio cards, a fantastic product and I'll probably get also the new fantastic Xite-1, I know the sounds very well but i don't own the Plugiator, don't need it, but I think it's an absolute bang for the buck and not at the price of sound quality.

Sonic Core and Use Audio are not related at all....this has brought a bit of tension between the two because they have different philosophies about the commercialization of the old Creamware stuff but they are taking different routes and I think that with the new stuff coming from each of the two things will bring a differentiation in products that will benefit everyone, mainly customers, because both of them have the best dsp synthesis technology around....