Great free synth pack

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
toad

Great free synth pack

Post by toad » Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 pm

Read about these on KVR:
http://elektrostudio.ovh.org/

16+ pages of background info (you won't miss anything by not reading it):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

But I agree, they sound great.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Great free synth pack

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 pm

A soft version of the Davoli Sint? The mind boggles...

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 pm

I love KVR.

That's how I found the Poly850, along with all the free stuff.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Mon May 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Yeah I found that. The synths are great, but I read about some nasty bugs on the forum. Anyone come across any bugs with these plugins?
Stephen(2)

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri May 22, 2009 1:53 pm

None yet. Just install them - you won't lose anything but time.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 22, 2009 2:37 pm

Shame that the KVR forums have even more bickering than this one :) Downloading the pack now. Gots to try some new softies, methinks.

Hm..my mind is boggled as to how to download this thing..no links on vst cafe and a broken website..

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri May 22, 2009 9:54 pm

The KVR thread has someone assembling all the .dll files into a single .zip. I think it's on page 6 or so, a generic file host link.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 23, 2009 2:55 pm

I found the links. I jumped to the end of the thread (now p.29) and saw that some guy has seized control over these synths and is currently working on updating and cleaning out some major bugs. He is apparently a friend of the original creator (who abandoned the project and released them for free). He was supposed to make money with them, but polish tax laws and lots of difficulties in setting up an independent company came in the way. It contains everything from mellotron to sequencer and drum machines and odyssey clones. And people on KVR say it sounds awesome. And they look just as good as Arturia VST's, clearly made for commercial profit, since he worked on them for 4 years. They all have .exe files that open them in their own VST host, and you must click START to get any sound.

Here's a rapid breakdown of what the synths emulate:

MoonsonoSx -> Moog Sonic Six

Davosynth -> Davoli Synth

micromoon -> Micromoog

SxMJune -> Roland Juno-6

Or2V -> Oberheim 2 Voice

Esline -> Arp Solina string Ensemble. Amazing stuff. Has echo, phaser and chorus. Really good Jarre sounds in the soundbank.

ODsay -> Arp Odissey

Ocet -> Some kind of 6-channel drum machine in a tolex case with handle on top..I easily hacked out a track pressing buttons. Each instrument can be fine tuned with little pots if you click on the blinking "casettes" on the right side.

Tapeotronic -> Mellotron w/ 3 sounds. I believe they are real Mellotron multisamples. Flutes, Strings and Male Choir.

Rhythmus -> Korg Sm-20 (i'm not sure of this one) Sound alot like the Korg Minipops Jarre used on many old songs.
I think it is, because I randomly clicked the rythm buttons and suddenly had something near identical to the Oxygene IV rythm.
Last edited by Bitexion on Sat May 23, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat May 23, 2009 5:32 pm

+1 for the Jarre sounds, the phased string effect is great. And I found Oxygene 4 too :D

Good to know they are being developed further. I've had a quick play with them and they do sound good.
Stephen(2)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Interesting article about the davoli synth on soundonsounds retro feature. Tells you what those grey keys actually do.
They actually turn on and off all the control buttons. Grey keys are for the whole octave select part, the black for the others. Interesting.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/a ... lisint.htm

"If you played the Davolisint with your right hand alone, you were not going to get very much from it. The sound ranged from a buzz to a rasp, with no filtering or shaping, and just vibrato to animate things. In fact, it was little different from playing a Vox Continental monophonically. The only things that gave it any sort of 'synth' quality were portamento and the ability to detune the two oscillators to produce a fatter sound, or to tune them at intervals such as a third or fifth. Or, of course, to detune them and apply portamento. Or detune them, apply portamento, and then add different speeds and depths of vibrato to each oscillator. Hmm... despite its limitations, it wasn't much like an organ at all, was it?

But let's now add your left hand into the equation. If you set up a basic sound using the control panel switches, you could use the bottom octave to articulate it in ways that would be impossible using a conventional VCO/VCF/VCA architecture. For example, let's imagine that you were playing with just the 16' octave selected, and no vibrato or portamento. If you then played, for example, a Cmaj7 chord in the bottom octave (the C, E, G and B keys) you added the 32', 8', 2' and 1/2' pitches to the sound, which changed its very essence by making it both deeper and brighter. This technique was great if you were playing accompaniment lines and wanted to make certain phrases stand out, or even stand proud as solo lines before dropping back into the mix again.

Alternatively, you could have no footages selected on the control panel, so silence reigned until you pressed a left-hand control key. Now, you could determine the octave of what you were playing by selecting the appropriate key with your left hand while soloing with your right. With a little practice, you could make the two-octave keyboard feel eight octaves wide by perfecting the technique of stepping up and down the grey keys as your needs dictated.

Now, what about the black keys in the controller octave? Using the C# and A# to add vibrato independently to VCO1 and VCO2 is not — as far as I can recall — a facility found on the performance panels of any other monosynth of the era. Likewise, being able to dial in three rates of portamento by playing D#, F# or both, is perhaps unique to the Davolisint.

So, all you needed was to perfect the technique of playing the white notes to add octaves to the sound, and the black notes to add animation. If you managed this, the Davolisint sprang to life, not as a replacement for a Minimoog or an ARP Odyssey, but as a viable alternative, an instrument in its own right. If you thought of it as an instrument in the same class as a Clavioline or Jennings Univox, you were on the right track, and that's no insult.

Oh yes, and the Davolisint had one final thing going for it: its price. At a little over £200, it cost a fraction of the price of a Minimoog or Odyssey, so it's not surprising that some players were willing to live with its limitations. What's perhaps surprising in retrospect is that so few were sold, rather than that so many were."

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Tue May 26, 2009 5:06 am

Thanks for posting about these. Very nice 8)

I'd say that Rhythmus emulates a Korg MP-7/Univox SR-95. And updates to the eSLine & Tapeotronic have been posted at http://www.vstcafe.com/
Yoozer wrote:Just install them - you won't lose anything but time.
So that would explain what happened to my weekend... :lol:

ross308
Band: November's Ego

Post by ross308 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 am

i have those and they do sound good.