Live and Logic Express

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Express

Live and Logic Express

Post by Express » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Alright so I have a decent amount of music software and hardware experience. I used FL Studio about 4 years ago and switched to Reason about 3 years ago and at the same time I've been using Adobe Audition for my multi track recording and such.
So here's where I am, I just ordered a macbook pro bundled with Logic Express. I knew i needed to upgrade to some new music software and logic seemed very promising. Would it be redundant to buy Live 8 or even live LE if i'm already using Reason 4 and Logic Express? I've seen some cool things done with Live but my knowledge of Logic is limited. What are your thoughts?
Hardware:Roland AX-7,JP-8000,Yamaha YDP-223
Software:Reason 3.0,FL Studio 5,
Arturia MoogModular

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Live and Logic Express

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:41 am

Use Logic, see how you find it and then after you've learnt it pretty well try out the demo of Live and see if it brings anything extra.

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Live and Logic Express

Post by skizzle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 am

different situations are more easily handled in different programs. i have 3 of the above minus fl and audition. logic 8 is and has been my mainstay daw for editing/composing my music since it came out. i tried my friends version of logic 7 and really fell in love with it. 8 can be very rigid, cold, unintuitive and otherwise intimidating compared to reason and live. reason was the first real music software i used(besides audacity for dumping band practice tapes into), and i find its interface, in the since of a visual layout, to be very easily readable. with logic- not so and thats fine, i have a newer copy of reason right now i haven't even used yet because i'm still finding that many new things all the time in logic and live. logic seems to offer more features but isn't as accessible as the rest. the factory instruments/plug-ins are superb, just like reason.

i hadn't bought live until 8, really buggy(although i haven't updated it yet) so far, but awesome at what it does well. its probably the best live digital music performance software(although i haven't used mainstage much). its beat marker's in warp mode are really easy to use, logic just implemented similar technology into 9. as a standalone daw i don't think its as powerful as logic, but with reason's instruments......

all of this being said, i love all of them, everyone should at least have a try at the ones they can, there's no room to hate on any at all. sometimes things just flow; other times, you'll really have to focus on your strategy for how you'll have to go about carrying out what you want to do. its like different operating systems, you'll get to the same place, how do you want to go about getting there, what works for you? i find myself bouncing things(1,2, 11 tracks at a time) out of logic, dragging them into live for further editing, and/or final playback and vice versa. haven't even rewired yet, ANOTHER solar system all in itself!!!!