FM8. Better than DX7?? Save me some money...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
RedElectricMoon

Re: FM8. Better than DX7?? Save me some money...

Post by RedElectricMoon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:10 pm

FM8 sounds great and can do much more than the DX7 but it doesn't have the basic tone of the DX7. Yes, I say it again - it doesn't sound like the DX7. You can dial in some of the DX sounds in FM8 in the same way you can do some Prophet sounds on the Nord Lead synths.

If you want a DX7 get just that. It's a beautiful synth. The thing is, I don't see why you would need the unique tone of the DX7 when you've got the unique tone of your FM8. They sound different in A/B tests but in a musical context they both do similar things and do them very well.

Personally, I find the limited 7-step feedback in the DX7 more musical than the fine-tuneable feedback in the FM8. I tried to sweep through all the values in FM8 and just couldn't find use for any of them. Low values didn't make the desired difference and higher values introduced noise that I didn't like. There's only a very litle sweet spot in the feedback range. I think operator feedback soesn't sound as good as the other components in the NI synths. They need to improve it.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 pm

That all depends on the type o' sounds you make. Fine feedback per operator has its uses for sure, try [tri]->[tri]. As for the amount of feedbacks: I often have feedback on all my operators (whether carrier or modulator), even if it's just a little bit. For more radical setups, like a fb>[E]->[F] setup to form rich sawtooths: with 6 ops you can have 3 suchs setups, detune 'm and you have a rich sound equivalent to 3 oscillators, eating away just 1 voice. For this you really want 3 intrinsic feedbacks. Something like that is possible with the SY77 afaik (configurable feedback paths, 3 of 'em).
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

solaristica

Post by solaristica » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I'm starting to think that the price of DX7's is sort of rising fast to where it should not be... I ended up buying an AN1x off of Craigslist for $280, and that has satisfies (momentarily at least) my craving for some hardware, and it has added some things to my "music".

I will probably, one day, get a DX7... For now it seems that FM8 covers the FM sonic palette very well...

I have to say, getting the AN1X though, has kept me completely excited... Now I see the difference between software and hardware (not really talking about the sound) in the feel of things... And boy, does it sound good....

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes I'm sure you'll be happy with the AN1x.. I love it.

BTW someone (a few people actually) told me to get an SY77 instead of a DX7 II... but I REALLY wanted to 'own' a DX7 (since childhood)... if you do not want a DX but just want FM I'd easily say get the SY77 over the DX7 it's beautiful.. I have them both here and love them but the SY77 is just magic! (good Screen too with waveforms and envelopes, and algos graphically represented).

They seem to go for around the same price. Mine cost exactly the same (the DX7 II and SY77).. the AN1x was actually the most expensive 2nd hand synth I've ever bought @ £170 which is still a bargain.. but funny to think it was one of the cheapest new... viva old tech! ;0

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Within the hardware realm, I'd say that the two most powerful FM synths are the SY77/99 and the FS1r. I wouldn't go as far as stating that one of them is better than the other. The SY can do things the FS can't, and vice versa. I'd say that the FS1r is like a DX7 but with a few global additions: formants, filter, 2 extra ops and effects. The SY is more like an advance form of FM, with operator phase, more waveforms, custom feedbacks etc. The 'sample as operator' in the SY is overrated tho. The idea sounds nice in theory but results in noise, more noise, a variation of noise, strange noise, alien noise, noise from Mars, noise from defective machines, noise from Alpha Centauri and various other flavors of noise.

Strangely enough, FM8 features a similar trick with the [in] operator, and there I tend to use it now and then. But with care, and it's not like I'm routing samples to FM8, just another instance of FM8.

For the ultimate FM palette, I have all three of 'em: SY, FS, FM8 :P
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids