New U-He Modular

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

New U-He Modular

Post by stephen » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:26 pm

oooh.....

Stephen(2)

MitchK1989

Re: New U-He Modular

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am

Try the public beta :P

The youtube audio quality doesn't do it justice.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:03 pm

It's pretty cool! I can't say I have nearly enough modular experience to coax anything too useful out of it yet, and I would've like to have more LFOs & loopable envelopes (might be I just missed something, though) - but it sounds great. Not sure if the ol' "virtual cables" thing is the best solution for this, but I can't immediately think of any better solutions. It just tends to get messy quickly, as seen in my first patch:

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Yikes! Looks like a Reason rack... :)

I'll have to check out that beta.
Stephen(2)

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:18 pm

he's planning on doing SOMETHING to make the cables a little easier to decipher... Something with highlighted cable ends or random colored patch cables or something.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606

Post by krushing » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:20 am

MitchK1989 wrote:he's planning on doing SOMETHING to make the cables a little easier to decipher... Something with highlighted cable ends or random colored patch cables or something.
I asked about the possibilities of doing something like this (on KvR) and the response was "cable highlighting is something that is so far away that I won't even try to imagine it"...so...I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 pm

cables in the way are a modular tradition.

LBN

Post by LBN » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:49 am

I like VAZ Modular's solution to connections. It uses drop-down menus instead of virtual cables to specify the connections. It keeps the layout clean and uncluttered.

Hair

Post by Hair » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 pm

virtual cables would be a lot easier to follow if they went straight from point to point instead of simulating the pull of gravity and slack, neither of which is necessary in software

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Hair wrote:virtual cables would be a lot easier to follow if they went straight from point to point instead of simulating the pull of gravity and slack, neither of which is necessary in software
Not necessarily! I guess I find them easier to follow if the mimic real life cables (either that, or I got very used to Reason's cables). I wouldn't like point-A to B cabling. But you're right, they're not necessary in software. Just nice to have IMO.

krushing

Post by krushing » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:48 pm

I spent a good cigarette-length thinking session on what'd be the optimal way to show virtual connections in a modular environment like this, and came to the conclusion that none of the currently used systems are really superior to the others. Hanging cables lead to a mess but are somewhat easy to follow, point-to-point might be a bit clearer but has the downside that parallel cables might get over/under each other and cause more confusion and with a dropdown system you don't really get a quick overview on what's going on. Reason's system where you can quickly show/hide the cables combined with an option to show single cables (and the direction of the signal) in the "hidden mode" on hovering over a socket might work...

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Zebra 2.5 has a new xmf filter mode which mimics the one from bazille (with even more options...)

Obviously not able to do the messed up audio source to CV in stuff, but Zebra 2.5 definitely does "raw analog" a lot better than 2.3 could (which it already did reasonably well!)