fl hate

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

fl hate

Post by megamanx » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:53 pm

why?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: fl hate

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Because not everyone likes oranges.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p

Post by megamanx » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:18 pm

so just about everyone likes oranges?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Whatever gets the job done. FL hate is probably not much different than PC vs Mac, Analogue vs Digital, Hardware vs Software, etc. Apples and oranges.

I personally don't care for programs like FL. Too much noise in the visual interface for me. I like things clean/empty, without souped-up graphics to appeal to people who rate software based on the artwork.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:03 am

I see, I use mainly as a sequencer and drum machine...The reality is that it's pretty much all I know...I used the first version years ago and never bother looking for something different...I was just wondering why it was looked down upon so much...I want to learn ableton but it's too expensive...

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:51 am

Because it still lacks some functionalities which are there in soft sequencers with a longer history, like Sonar. Also it really has issues with MIDI so it's not the top if you have lots of hardware to work with.

Apart from that there's not much to hate, it's just easier for some to say "FL ahaha program for noobs" and boot up a cracked copy of SX 3. Easier than actually try to listen to some good music made with that sequencer.
Other say it is c**p because "PROs" are not using it. Of course the ones who produce music since long time ago don't...why should they be bothered to learn how to use a new software when they're happy with the ones they're accustomed to?
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:04 pm

I sort of get it; FL is one of several packages that make it easy for wankers to put together lame dance tracks where all they do is take canned loops from loop CDs and paste them together. Especially when the loops are from something where everyone recognizes the source material except for the wanker who put together the track. [-X But you know what they say -- it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. Or someone else's tools.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 pm

It is easy to make c**p music with other tools as well... FL is just the most known to the newbies' mass. Other noobs will make fun of them with their uber-leet cubase sx3 on which they make...crappy music. :)
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:56 pm

I can totally see what it can bee seen as a newb friendly software...the interface is easy to figure out...but like someone else said...it's what you make of it...

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:22 pm

It's because all those self-proclaimed old school craftsmen are caught up left and right by a bunch of 15-year olds who have actually fun in what they're doing.

"You don't program your own synths! You don't build your own samples!" - and the part that irks is that they can get away with it.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:25 am

well look at it this way..

people who say FL is great are often saying something like "look at these awesome producers who use FL"

then by that logic, the non-FL users would think like "OK but look at the 1000 times more awesome producers who don't"

it's a stupid argument, but most people on earth are stupid.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 am

Fl studio is great for people who it works for. nice synthesizers in a neat little package, some weird interface irks. like having to manually link tracks to the mixer instead of automatically being assigned. i didn't find any method for switching time signatures either. also the sampler doesn't sample.

my beef comes mostly from my hate of piano rolls. for some reason i find it works better for me to use a tracker sequencer rather then a piano roll if I'm entering notes only with my computer by itself.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:34 pm

I like FL, quite a lot actually. I've used it for years and I could give a f**k who else is using it. I've learned it in and out with no help from tutorials or videos. I've made quite a bit of my music using FL only. Program elitism is really pathetic....Please, just sit back away from the screen for a moment...look at the bigger picture. See it? You can't, it's sound.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:04 am

I've recorded >1 albums in cooledit, so my opinion is do whatever you want

steampoweredsequencer
Gear: Two canes for walking, indestructible contact microphone, tetsuo implants, half broken nord lead, two weirdo guitars,

Post by steampoweredsequencer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:59 am

I enjoy using Logic more than FL. Both made me want to pull my hair out at first, but Logic is more useful and (surprisingly) easier for me to use. That said, Live 4 is my primary sequencer.

Oh...and my dog prefers using Logic too.