Just got Absynth5 and I have no idea what Im doing...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Blasian92

Just got Absynth5 and I have no idea what Im doing...

Post by Blasian92 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok so my friend heard i wanted to get into synth playing and what not and...He went and got me absynth5 by native instruments.Wtf? I dont know why but he did. But Im not complaning I just know nothing about soft synths or this one or whatever...I dont know how to make sounds.There are alot of menus and things I dont understand. I mean it has so many sounds! So many functions and I know nothing about any of it. But for a free program who cares right? : ) I just really was wondering if there is a guide to this or anything cuz im new to the world of synths and im so beyond overwhelmed...Its really alot to take in. So if anyone could just point me in the right direction to start with this thing i would appreciate it alot! Thank you.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Just got Absynth5 and I have no idea what Im doing...

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:38 pm

There are tutorial videos at the Native Instrument website.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Blasian92

Post by Blasian92 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 am

Ok well...I see no tutorial videos for it.And seeing as how Im completely new to ALL of this...It might take a little more then advanced tutorial videos. Anyone else?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:43 am

Seems by starting with Absynth you're attempting to jump in the deep end so to speak, Absynth especially V.5 is one of the most in depth software synthesizers (save something modular) that money can buy. Focus on learning the basics of synthesis and once you've done that, apply it to the functions in Absynth. This software comes with a manual for a reason - it's very deep, so use it and google and you're on the way to mastering it :salute:

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 am

At heart it's still a regular subtractive synth - it's just the number of options available that tend to cover that fact up. But once you realize that it works - basically - like any other 3-osc synth, it suddenly becomes much easier.

Blasian92

Post by Blasian92 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Yeah...I mean its such a lovely gift! Very expensive though. But he lost the manual when opening it up to make sure everything was there. So ive pretty much jumped off the deep end and im only a fetus and i have to possibility to drowned? I mean...There are so many sounds.I dont even know how to loop a sound or ugh.Synth is beginning to overwhelm me. So should I learn how to do anything specific on it first? Or should I just mess with it alot and figure it all out on my own? Thanks again!

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Blasian92 wrote:But he lost the manual when opening it up to make sure everything was there.
:-s

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 pm

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:56 am

If you're using cracked software don't expect help from here.

Blasian92

Post by Blasian92 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:07 am

No im not using uh cracked software? I dont quite know what that is. But the program was installed on my comp when I got home from wrok and im like well i need the manual and he said it came in a box or something...I dunno : / I just need help...

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:28 am

The Absynth manual is in a pdf file. It should be wherever you installed Absynth.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:47 am

I'm not totally sure but you seem to want to learn all this in like 1hr, Absynth takes time. Just use the presets to begin with, download some easier to program freeware (TAL Juno and SH101 emulations are great), once you've got the hang of OSC, VCF, EG & VCA basic synthesis, then you can apply your skills to Absynth. It takes time for even experienced users so don't expect to master it in a hurry :wink:

Probably one of the worst beginner synths to start off with too IMO :?

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:IIt takes time for even experienced users so don't expect to master it in a hurry
I'm still mostly using presets...I could never come up with stuff that crazy on my own :shock:

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:51 am

Blasian my 17 year old friend;

Stop your piratical shenaniganry and buy something for once, so you too to be a bona-fide, legit soft synth owner...

http://www.audiomidi.com/Ultra-Analog-V ... 12692.aspx

Easy to use, great sounding, and only $15.00 US!!

Blasian92

Post by Blasian92 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:14 am

Hmm ok. Ill try downloading a few free software umm things? Emulators? And i guess I will work from there. So i probably shouldnt open absynth again until i even know what the heck an envelope is and all about oscilators and holy c**p im so lost. You guys have been really helpful though! If you could type down anything I should know and soft synths or synths in general to give me a jumpstart I would appreciate it : ) Thank you.