SHIOITOR

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: SHIOITOR

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 am

tekkentool wrote:i have no problems with it, you just seem to be like, raving over it :o
It could be that he thinks they're good. :idea: I'm sure everyone here has at one point been so impressed by a synth that they've wanted everyone else to know about it...

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:42 am

The more people demean the work these guys put into their products, the more I root and defend them I guess. I wouldn't do so if I didn't think they were very deserving. (See earlier posts)

You won't see me doing the same for Roland or Alesis as of late. :lol:

For someone to actually say that this softy doesn't sound like a real SH-101, with me knowing all the work put into the detail of this instrument, just blows my mind.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:10 am

Raiven wrote:The more people demean the work these guys put into their products, the more I root and defend them I guess. I wouldn't do so if I didn't think they were very deserving. (See earlier posts)

You won't see me doing the same for Roland or Alesis as of late. :lol:

For someone to actually say that this softy doesn't sound like a real SH-101, with me knowing all the work put into the detail of this instrument, just blows my mind.
i honestly don't care if it does sound like an sh-101, good sounding synth's are good sounding synth's.

MarcinP78

Post by MarcinP78 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:39 am

i honestly don't care if it does sound like an sh-101, good sounding synth's are good sounding synth's.
True, I think D16 makes some of the very best plugins hands down. Shioitor sounds good for a softsynth but doesn't replace the real sh101. Maybe for the studio sequencer people but not for keyboard players. Saying the VSTi is more convenient is so subjective it sounds ridiculous for someone who needs a keyboard.

It's great that such developers exist and I appreciate their hard work, even if I don't use software. Who knows, when they start making small hardware boxes to host plugins, smaller in features and cheaper than Receptor and Vmachine, I'll buy the D16 effect plugins.

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 am

If you don't like the sound of the SH-101, then you won't like the sound of this plug-in. ;)

Wait for the commercial release. They're still tweaking it in.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Raiven wrote:...You won't see me doing the same for Roland or Alesis as of late. :lol:
True, I see your point - Roland's re-invention > SH-201 vs D16's re-invention > SHIOITOR, I think most people would rather sing the praise of the software, but still some people will always prefer the original hardware 101 for it's "hands on" aspect, collectability and classic analog sound.
Raiven wrote:For someone to actually say that this softy doesn't sound like a real SH-101, with me knowing all the work put into the detail of this instrument, just blows my mind.
I'm not saying SHIOITOR isn't one of the better analog synth emulations out there, but still you need to remember that inherently every different type of technology will sound different - analog will never sound exactly like digital, so why would you expect digital to be capable of exactly nailing the analog sound? - I will say that it can come damn close but still, analog hardware has it's own sound and subtleties that I believe can't be truly emulated with a *completely* different form of technology.

However if D16 made the SHIOITOR in hardware form, from real components using real electricity flowing through it's circuits just like the technology that was used in the days of the 101, then I'm sure it would sound exactly like a 101, and thats nothing to do with old vs new, just the tech used to build it - though I agree, D16 has proven to be a very capable company and the SHIOITOR appears to be a very nice plug-in. ;)

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:43 pm

I don't agree. Emulative software audio technology is at the point where holding on to many of the originals is only a matter of personal satisfaction. Not audio superiority. And in some cases, the software may need a little boost from a plug-in or outboard.

There are currently only 2 analog synths that I have come across who's sound is what I would call distinctive enough that can't be justifiable copied with a softsynth. The Moog Voyager and the Future Retro XS.

Also, in the concept of a song, nobody cares whether you've used real analog or not and I have fooled several people into thinking I used a real analog synth on a project just to find out it was a FREE softsynth.

Instruments are played to present songs and in this context, the convenience, increased functionality, and advancements in their sound should not be shunned or ignored. Quite frankly, I think It's pretty ignorant to do so.
Last edited by Raiven on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm trying to figure out where accountants fit into this.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:33 am

And in some cases, the software may need a little boost from a plug-in or outboard.
Outboard? really? ...why is that?
I know someone worked really hard on an outboard processing effect emulation plugin, so that must mean it is identical to the real thing right? So why might we need to run shioitor through outboard?

(because knowing someone worked hard on an emulation means that it *must* be exactly the same... :roll: )

Post samples of some basic sounds, we compare them to an SH-101, the end.
Last edited by cartesia on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:08 am

Raiven wrote: There are currently only 2 analog synths that I have come across who's sound is what I would call distinctive enough that can't be justifiable copied with a softsynth. The Moog Voyager and the Future Retro XS.
:roll:

never mind all those 70's & 80's synths that are even harder to "justifiably copy" w/ their funky PSU's, voltage flux and various quirks.

thread=fail
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 am

Raiven wrote:...and advancements in their sound should not be shunned or ignored. Quite frankly, I think It's pretty ignorant to do so.
If this is directed to me, then point out a specific example where I "shunned" and "ignored" SHIOITOR in my posts, and I might take you more seriously, until then this argument is a joke.
Hybrid88 wrote:...though I agree, D16 has proven to be a very capable company and the SHIOITOR appears to be a very nice plug-in.
Yep, definately sounds like you really took the time to read my posts before launching an insult - nice one :lol:

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:00 am

Tat comment wasn't directed at you but to VSE in general. I read your posts man but wanted to see some other folks chime in and view their opinions.

I'm sure D16 will do a comparative video just like they did with Drumazon.

Sorry but I'm definitely not going to share my production technics with the likes of this bunch. So to the one asking how so, it a'int going to happen.

And to the other, I don't know of all these other 70's and 80's synths companies are trying to emulate. All the successful ones have already been done. If they were failures then, why emulate and ADVANCE a failure now.

:roll:

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:24 am

Raiven wrote: Sorry but I'm definitely not going to share my production technics with the likes of this bunch. So to the one asking how so, it a'int going to happen.
:lol:

Oh I totally know...I just don't want to tell you.

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 am

skweeegor wrote:
Raiven wrote: Sorry but I'm definitely not going to share my production technics with the likes of this bunch. So to the one asking how so, it a'int going to happen.
:lol:

Oh I totally know...I just don't want to tell you.
I'm sure. :roll:

VSE - 4 years a member. 140 posts. Says it all. :lol:

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:32 am

Uhh, that was an impression of you. He wasn't trying to steal your mad production skillz. It's funny how you diss a whole forum and its members because a few people disagreed with you.