SHIOITOR

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Re: SHIOITOR

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:00 am

skweeegor wrote:Uhh, that was an impression of you. He wasn't trying to steal your mad production skillz. It's funny how you diss a whole forum and its members because a few people disagreed with you.
I'm not dissing the whole forum. I still post here and send private messages. Got friends here too but a few "clickish" people ruin this place IMHO or at the very least, ruin this place for me. I don't consider myself to have "mad production skillz" but there are some techniques that I don't choose to share, especially with folks that I find offensive.

Funny that you would imply that I'm egotistical. An impression of you perhaps? ;)
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Raiven wrote:Tat comment wasn't directed at you but to VSE in general. I read your posts man but wanted to see some other folks chime in and view their opinions...
Ok, cool - thats the hard thing about forums and typing, you can't always tell who it's directed to. ;)

On a side note, I recently tried the demo of GMedia's Oddity, that's another one that has certainly captured the general character of the original Odyssey - a nice emulation :D

The Imoscar is also a fantastic piece of software, although I do find it to sound quite a bit less like the original than the Oddity. Still though, if the Imposcar was released in hardware synth form that would be unbelievably cool 8-)

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
Raiven wrote:Tat comment wasn't directed at you but to VSE in general. I read your posts man but wanted to see some other folks chime in and view their opinions...
Ok, cool - thats the hard thing about forums and typing, you can't always tell who it's directed to. ;)

On a side note, I recently tried the demo of GMedia's Oddity, that's another one that has certainly captured the general character of the original Odyssey - a nice emulation :D

The Imoscar is also a fantastic piece of software, although I do find it to sound quite a bit less like the original than the Oddity. Still though, if the Imposcar was released in hardware synth form that would be unbelievably cool 8-)
I've never tried Oddity but I do have IMPOscar but don't use it. Deleted it off my drive and put it back in the box and in storage. I got so frustrated with it because it sounds so good but never fit any projects I had. All I would do is doodle and play its' sounds but it never found a place in any of my songs.

I also have Minimonsta and did the same thing. Sounds great but I absolutely hate the interface. Thought I could get over it. Never did. :shocked:
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm just wondering how many of those using the D16 plugs have actually played and recorded with the hardware units the software is emulating. I think the plug ins have a nice sound, but they don't sound like my real 808, 101 or the 909 I just tracked with and they don't move in the same way either. And you can't take the trigger out from the software 909 and drive a step sequencer on the software 101 ... for me this is so un-intuitive and part of why I love the hardware: you can come up with so many ideas and play with sequencers in a way completely different than a software sequencer, a way that is much livelier and playable rather than calculating. I mean I'm not even the biggest fan of the 101 (I prefer the sound of an SH 1) but there is just no way a piece of software could ever replace the fun of driving that sequencer live from an 808 and reprogramming the steps and doing transpositions while tape rolls. Sorry no thanks.

-matia

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 pm

matia wrote:I'm just wondering how many of those using the D16 plugs have actually played and recorded with the hardware units the software is emulating. I think the plug ins have a nice sound, but they don't sound like my real 808, 101 or the 909 I just tracked with and they don't move in the same way either. And you can't take the trigger out from the software 909 and drive a step sequencer on the software 101 ... for me this is so un-intuitive and part of why I love the hardware: you can come up with so many ideas and play with sequencers in a way completely different than a software sequencer, a way that is much livelier and playable rather than calculating. I mean I'm not even the biggest fan of the 101 (I prefer the sound of an SH 1) but there is just no way a piece of software could ever replace the fun of driving that sequencer live from an 808 and reprogramming the steps and doing transpositions while tape rolls. Sorry no thanks.

-matia

I was going to ask if anyone's A/B'd the plugins with the real hardware. I know D16 have done it, but I guess an independent comparison would be useful.
Stephen(2)

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 pm

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:17 pm

i saw those videos and then did a comparison myself with the D16 909 vs a real one on the system at my mates studio. was not convinced though again, there's nothing wrong with the D16 but it's not a real 909 and you can't integrate it the same way you can a 909.

this photo was from that night:

-matia

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:45 am

Raiven wrote:
I hear a clear difference in resonance, detail and in the 'boing'-y thump(@:59 in particular) in the real TB vs the software version. It's discouraging to see this video - as i assume it is using 'state-of-the-art' software - because it hardly sounds any better than Rebirth sonically, where it counts. Next to the real thing it's still very obvious to me that software fails to come anywhere near 100% - ESPECIALLY in the mix with other instruments, where it matters most.
You can continue going w/ the software emulation if that's what you prefer. That''s why we have choices, I guess.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:54 am

Phoscyon is not always my first choice for 303 - but, i do own it and i hear there is going to be a big update to it early next year with sonic enhancements.. :)

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 am

Some people here are unbelievable as usual. I've got 4 industry profession audio engineers that can't discern a difference. Have fun with you antiques.

Get new speakers and headphones fellers.

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:17 am

ford442 wrote:Phoscyon is not always my first choice for 303 - but, i do own it and i hear there is going to be a big update to it early next year with sonic enhancements.. :)
I don't know or inquire about that one. Not into acid at all.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:34 am

Raiven wrote:Some people here are unbelievable as usual. I've got 4 industry profession audio engineers that can't discern a difference. Have fun with you antiques.

people are entitled to their seperate views on D16 stuff that isn't your own as well ya know.

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am

tekkentool wrote:
Raiven wrote:Some people here are unbelievable as usual. I've got 4 industry profession audio engineers that can't discern a difference. Have fun with you antiques.

people are entitled to their seperate views on D16 stuff that isn't your own as well ya know.
Sure I do but when somebody has a claim that's different and I have the backing of technical professionals, I find their statements a bit hard to swallow.

So lets just agree to disagree and you get down with your toys and I'll get down with mine. ;-) It's New Years Eve here in Japan and I've got to go and get ready for a musical and dance filled evening and early morning so to everybody here, have a safe and wonderful New Year! :keys1: :dj: :music:

Hope to see you at NAMM or perhaps the Dance Music Conference in Miami. 8-)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:28 am

Raiven wrote:Hope to see you at NAMM or perhaps the Dance Music Conference in Miami. 8-)
Oh yeah, almost forgot about NAMM - wonder what's new for '2010 :D

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:50 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Raiven wrote:Hope to see you at NAMM or perhaps the Dance Music Conference in Miami. 8-)
Oh yeah, almost forgot about NAMM - wonder what's new for '2010 :D

Stromberg and a new electribe :D :D :D
Stephen(2)