MIDI-out for Propellerhead's Record

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Dogboy73

MIDI-out for Propellerhead's Record

Post by Dogboy73 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 am

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... p?t=115762

I know this is primarily a forum discussing hardware but this is all about controlling MIDI hardware from Propellerhead's Record software. The campaign thread has been running since before the software was released & so far it's 35 pages long with 346 replies & 6400 views. I think it's the biggest thread ever on the Propellerheads forum. Plenty of support then. Pledge your support if your a Reason/Record user who would like to see this feature.

Dogboy73

Re: MIDI-out for Propellerhead's Record

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 am

First of all we have a policy of never commenting on future product features, so this reply is by nature vague and doesn't really answer the question you ask. Sorry.

Any feature not included in the program is by definition omitted. Don't read to much into that, it can be for any number of reasons. Without commeting on MIDI itself at all, in general there are a lot of features that are not in Record 1.0. The ones that made it in got priroitized according to a number of goals that we had for the product. For each update we make, we set new goals and make new prioritization according to those. Usually we have lists of a few hundred features and we know we need to cut it down to say a dozen things (literally!), which is extremely frustrating but also a process that makes the product what it is. There is very little "religion" involved in this, it's all practical. If there ever was something that really was close to a philosophical issue, it was audio recording in Reason, and now you've seen the answer to the question we've been asked daily for ten years.

So again, you're unfortunately not going to get a comment on MIDI Out or any other feature for that matter. We can just hope that you enjoy the program as it is, while we work on future versions. That does not mean we don't value the input you are giving. We listen very closely to what you all are saying in this forum and elsewhere.

Thanks for your continued support,
Ernst Nathorst-Böös

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:12 am

What do you expect? They don't give a damn about midi out, because that way they force you to use/buy Reason, refills, junk, etc. (that kind of "midi-out" magically works) In other word they make a lot of money from not implementing midi out. Propellerheads have created their perfect little world and you'll be damned for stirring it up, you can even tell from his reply they are upset at you for asking.

I don't like anything they've put out since Rebirth.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:42 pm

get cakewalk sonar

it sucks much less

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 pm

StepLogik wrote:get cakewalk sonar

it sucks much less
I tried Sonar in the past. Hated it to be honest. Reason is the best music/audio software I've ever used. It's fantastic. Record is equally as good but it's just a bit pointless without MIDI-out as I'd have to Rewire to another sequencer/DAW to do MIDI sequencing of my external gear. Then of course I might as well just use that app for recording as well, making Record surplass to requirements.

The big attraction for me in having MIDI-out in Record is I'd get to use all those fantastic tools for controlling my external gear. Currently I usually generate MIDI parts in Reason using tools like the RPG-8, Matrix, Redrum etc. and then export these into my sequencer, Sony Acid, where I can use them to control my hardware. It's a bit of a pain in the arse work around to be honest but it's the only way.

If anyone can point me in the direction of some VST's for controlling my external MIDI gear that do as good a job as the Redrum, RPG-8, Matrix etc then please feel free. I submit that there are no such tools out there that are as good. I've looked & I can't find anything. Reason is one of the best tools out there for controlling devices. It does this internally obviously using MIDI, which is another reason (excuse the pun) I want to be able to point it outwards so bloody badly!!

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Ableton's Drum Racks & Arpeggiator will cover two of those bases...and drum racks are WAY more powerful than Redrum. Seriously, ditch reason, it's such a b***h how closed they want to make everything. One day you'll want to go beyond what reason has to offer and that will necessitate switching to a more capable DAW.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 pm

I've always been put off Ableton Live because of it's loop based approach. I'm also hearing lots of bad things about the latest version, which apparently has reliability issues. I've tried it on 2 or 3 occassions over the years & never liked it much each time. I worked on a remix with a former work colleague & I thought it was absolutely horrible to work with. Atthe end of the day though if its got the tools for the job & it does have a decent workflow when you get to know it then great. Might give it another go (4th time lucky?). Actually I'd rather just have MIDI out in Reason/Record. It wouldn't be limited for me then. I'd absolutely love it :D

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:15 am

The subject matter is still software-oriented, as it's a petition, not an actual product. I'm moving it to Software.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:38 am

braincandy wrote:The subject matter is still software-oriented, as it's a petition, not an actual product. I'm moving it to Software.
No probs. wherever you think it's best ;) Thank God for Mods!! :D

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 am

A very good vst with midi out (and in) is Sugarbyte's Thesys. It's a step sequencer but has some other features as well which can send out a sequence to any CC number. Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you might want to check it out. I love it.
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/index.php?lang=en

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 am

Live is only loop based if you want it to be. I stick to the arrangement view and work with it like any other linear sequencer. You don't have to use the session view at all. Think of it as two different ways Live lets you work (or 3 if you use them simultaneously). And it's cool, because once you've finished a song in the arrangement view, it's easy to chop it up into clips and over into the session view for live stuff. The workflow is different from other DAW's but I find its actually easier to use, with less pop up windows and stuff like that. It was designed to be as usable as possible with a single monitor. Once you get used to it, it's awesome.

As far as reliability, I'm using version 8 and while I get the odd crash, it's no more than what I experienced in Cubase or Sonar and Live has the ability to recover any work you've lost, and that feature has only flaked on me maybe 1 out of every 100 times...and saved my a*s many more times than it flaked.

Anyways, Live doesn't have to be the only option; I'm sure there are vst's that can do what you want, it's just there's so many of them out there you have to dig - I just mentioned Ableton because it could replace everything Reason does and more out of the box...and now you can use VST's too!

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:56 am

Maybe I'll give Ableton Live another go but this time I just hit tab & work in the arrangement view & stay away from the session view. I always looked at the arrangement view as a sort of after thought as everyone always went on about the session view so much. Usually whenever you see a demo of Live it's being done in the session view.

One thing is for sure if Record doesn't get MIDI-out it will never be an option for me because however good it might be it's next to useless for anyone who has external MIDI gear & wants control over it. People say, 'Rewire into another sequencer/Daw package'. Well, yes you could do that. But then what is the point of Record? Stupid leaving out MIDI-out if you ask me. I can understand Reason/Record not having VST support but MIDI-out is a fundamental in sequencers/DAWs as wheels on cars!

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 am

MarkM wrote:A very good vst with midi out (and in) is Sugarbyte's Thesys. It's a step sequencer but has some other features as well which can send out a sequence to any CC number. Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you might want to check it out. I love it.
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/index.php?lang=en
Looks good. Very good. To good? I'm a little weary of this kind of thing. You have a lot of control but sometimes these kind of things take over a little. Going back to Reason I actually prefer the simplicity of the devices on offer. The RPG-8 is a powerful enough arpeggiator but it's also a very simple device. It just does what it does without all the bells & whistles, which I really like. f I could use it to control my external synths I'd be very happy :D

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:05 pm

D-Collector wrote:What do you expect? They don't give a damn about midi out
Reason is the one of the few DAWs that will synch up to incoming MIDI...Live is another...which I find a lot more useful. 8-)

I must be just about the only person who uses hardware to sequence softsynths. :shock:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:32 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
D-Collector wrote:What do you expect? They don't give a damn about midi out
Reason is the one of the few DAWs that will synch up to incoming MIDI...Live is another...which I find a lot more useful. 8-) I must be just about the only person who uses hardware to sequence softsynths. :shock:
This what annoys me about the lack of MIDI-out. MIDI is already very heavily featured in Reason & Record, as it is in most audio sequencers/DAWs. So what really is the big deal about allowing users to point it outwards? It's obsurd really I think given what we now have in Reason & Record.