Garageband Add Ons

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Garageband Add Ons

Post by rharris07 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:04 pm

I've looked up add ons for garageband, and it seems like I can only find spam sites. Are there actually add ons for garageband? if so - does anyone know where I can find some? Are there free add ons as well?

I'm getting really use to using garageband, I like it a lot, and I'm not totally ready to upgrade software right now so I'd like to just expand this one if at all possible....

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Garageband Add Ons

Post by garranimal » Wed May 26, 2010 5:15 pm

give kvraudio.com a whirl.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 26, 2010 10:03 pm

What kind of expansion are you looking for?

You can host pretty much any AU synths and effects. Not as many free ones as VST format but still plenty out there.

As far as Apple Loops, there's hundreds of loop sets on the market.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 am

meatballfulton wrote:What kind of expansion are you looking for?

You can host pretty much any AU synths and effects. Not as many free ones as VST format but still plenty out there.

As far as Apple Loops, there's hundreds of loop sets on the market.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu May 27, 2010 3:03 am

Yep.. AU (audio unit) plugins are what you want - if you have an intel mac, they'll need to be Universal Binary AUs

if you want a good virtual analogue synth plugin try:

Togu Audio Line - some great oldschool juno/sh-101 based synths, some good effects.. most in AU format I think.

Alphakanal Automat - complex VA, lots of features such as filter drive models etc... AU format.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu May 27, 2010 4:46 am

For audio units :
Tal is indeed a good recommendation http://kunz.corrupt.ch/
also : DontCrack.com
http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/softw ... atform/mac/
The Schwa and Stillwell plugins are not freeware ,but the demo's don't expire ever http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=25
If you want to run some external hardware synths with GB then try retroware's midiO AU midi utility :http://mysite.verizon.net/retroware/
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm

I guess I should clarify - I'm looking for add on instruments, synths, guitars, drums, etc. and also effects - more diverse delays, echos, etc.

not really looking for any of the loop stuff - i have yet to even touch those on GB.

thanks guys so far though for all the links and suggestions, i greatly appreciate them all and have started to look through them.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu May 27, 2010 8:47 pm

rharris07 wrote: I'm looking for add on instruments, synths, guitars, drums, etc. and also effects - more diverse delays, echos, etc.
not really looking for any of the loop stuff
None of my suggestions are loops BTW
Also the demo evaluation versions of the stillwell/Schwa plugs I suggested are not crippled at all and don't ever expire .

These are all I know of freeware etc. ,but also for paid gear down the line you should look at
Gforce software , the Korg KLC Analog and digital editions ..all under $200 each

The Waldorf Edition is great and at or under a $100.00

And this thread I made to day can cover your meat & potato / rompler sounds super cheap :
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=56519
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 am

TAL also make a 'dub delay' plugin which gives you quite ab it of control

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:55 am

Anyone have any suggestions on audio unit plugins for mellotron? Free. I know M-Tron Pro is the best one out if you want to pay - but surely there's a free version somewhere I'm just not coming up with on google or yahoo?

Also - any good samplers or manglers of sorts that are audio units? Free too, please. Odd drum machines or sequencers would be welcome too.

I'd really just like some input some really interesting or "out there" AU plugins that would work in garageband...I can read crappy websites all day long about plugins, there are a billion - but I'd rather just get some serious input from you guys if you have anything to add.

I'm trying, once again, to spruce up my garageband so i can do some recording while out on the road for work.

Thanks!!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:53 pm

For a mainstream sampler there's IK's Sampletank Free. I know the full version has a few tron samples, not sure about free. By the way IK's Sampletron often goes on sale for under $100...I've seen it as cheap as $30.

I've never seen a free AU tron plug, only VST.

For a killer step sequencer, the demo of Numerology 3 is feature reduced but not crippled. It won't run with Garageband, but standalone it can host AUs and record the audio output or dump SMFs.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.