Ipad as an alternative to the Lemur

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Ipad as an alternative to the Lemur

Post by impaler42 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:43 am

I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the Ipad as a musical instrument. It seems like a major downfall for the Lemur was the learning curve associated with programming OSC to make it do what you wanted. Now with the Ipad, there seems to be a lot of cool music related apps, some of which let you control programs such as Ableton Live. On top of that, they are very intuitive and easy to use. It seems like the Ipad might be a more economical and user friendly alternative to the Lemur. The Apple operating system seems much more welcoming than learning to program OSC. Any thoughts from those of you with Ipads or lemurs?
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Ipad as an alternative to the Lemur

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:20 am

The Lemur is 15" whereas the ipad is only 9", that's the only thing the Lemur really has going for it. A friend of mine who used to use a Lemur is using an ipad now, he's happy with the switch.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 am

How could an iPad ever substitute such a cute little thing? :)

bonne chance

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Haha I know its a difficult task. Im most likely going to buy an Ipad for my birthday. Cant wait to use the iElectribe application. Ive always been a fan of electribes.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 pm

the ipad has basically made the lemur obsolete. so long as people keep developing cool apps, the entry price will always make it a better choice...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Joey wrote:the ipad has basically made the lemur obsolete. so long as people keep developing cool apps, the entry price will always make it a better choice...
It would be really cool, and maybe even possible, for someone to make an iPad/iPhone audio interface. I believe Line 6 made a MIDI interface, but I'm not sure what exactly it worked with...
bonne chance