Whats easier for a beginner to use?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Easier for a beginner to use

Cubase SX
50%
Abbleton Live 5
50%

Total votes: 10

deadlines

Whats easier for a beginner to use?

Post by deadlines » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:07 pm

Just wondering what people would think is an easier midi sequencer/audio recorder program for a beginner.
"If you're into marketting, you should kill yourself" - bill hicks

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:58 pm

What 3d-application is easier Max or Maya? It is a choice of preference, I prefeer Cubase for how it is designed, I know alot of people here prefeer Live, it is a choice based on how you want to work. So please, explain what you want the sequencer to do for you and how you want to edit your tracks and then we can help you!

deadlines

Post by deadlines » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:14 am

Mush wrote:What 3d-application is easier Max or Maya? It is a choice of preference, I prefeer Cubase for how it is designed, I know alot of people here prefeer Live, it is a choice based on how you want to work. So please, explain what you want the sequencer to do for you and how you want to edit your tracks and then we can help you!
ok.... i want to be able to sequence my midi tracks, play them back, then record them to audio. but like i said, im a beginner, ive never used cubase so i dont know anything about it. ive been using Live the pass 3 days but im kind lost with its matrix.... like can cubase make one continuous midi track for say bass, then strings, ect.. so i dont have to bog myself with the learning curve of looping and following. like i said im starting out. im wondering if cubase could be more helpfull in getting a beginner on track with sequencing and recording faster then ableton?

reptar

Post by reptar » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:03 am

I think the looping method is way easier to get started on, that's why fruity loops is so popular with beginners. With linear tracks like in Cubase there's a pressure to already know how the whole song is going to sound, you can't just jam some loops together and experiment. You've already got Live, it has great tutorials, moving to Cubase would be a much bigger learning curve.

reptar

Post by reptar » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:07 am

Oh yeah, I just remembered that if you want you can run Live in the same linear fashion as Cubase, using the Arranger view instead of the Clip view. So you've got the flexibility to use live however you want.

deadlines

Post by deadlines » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:35 am

reptar wrote:Oh yeah, I just remembered that if you want you can run Live in the same linear fashion as Cubase, using the Arranger view instead of the Clip view. So you've got the flexibility to use live however you want.
aightt sick.... i mean i really dont want to start off with all those triggers and stuff.... seems complicated for me right now.

angrypunk

Post by angrypunk » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 am

I use Orion for sequencing my stuff and recording externally. It's VERY beginner friendly. You should check that out too before you make your decision.

http://www.synapse-audio.com

deadlines

Post by deadlines » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:16 pm

angrypunk wrote:I use Orion for sequencing my stuff and recording externally. It's VERY beginner friendly. You should check that out too before you make your decision.

http://www.synapse-audio.com
what do u mean by externally?

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:50 pm

ok, I know this is someone else's post, but I have a relevant question.

What's a prog similar to fruityloops which runs on MacOS X? because from what i saw on musicians friend, it's Windoze based only...

thanks

CBJ
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:55 am

having used cubase ( le) for just over a year, i'd say its a good product to use, but its not the most awe inspiring interface, and there are a few areas that need work.

Ableton for me makes more sense. its fast, easy, more intuitive ( once you do a few of the tutorials) and is a lighter load on the processor/ pc.

its either ableton live or a dsi evolver for me as my next purchase to be honest!

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

deadlines

Post by deadlines » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:12 am

philbar wrote:having used cubase ( le) for just over a year, i'd say its a good product to use, but its not the most awe inspiring interface, and there are a few areas that need work.

Ableton for me makes more sense. its fast, easy, more intuitive ( once you do a few of the tutorials) and is a lighter load on the processor/ pc.

its either ableton live or a dsi evolver for me as my next purchase to be honest!
alright sounds good thanks for the input everyone

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:24 pm

am now going for sonar 5 producer edition, reason is it has more features and is easier to get the best from compared to cubase. having tried them side by side over the last week, id say its quicker and more painless to get things done.
ableton is great but its not as "studio oriented" as sonar and is also not quite as rock solid in the midi implementation, amongst a few other reasons.

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:23 pm

I never had any problems with Cubase...
I've been using Cubase since version 2.0 (not SX 2 !!!), over 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 5.0, SX1, and SX2.01.
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Saeptus

Post by Saeptus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:03 pm

philbar wrote:having used cubase ( le) for just over a year, i'd say its a good product to use, but its not the most awe inspiring interface, and there are a few areas that need work.
Agreed.
Synths: Moog Sub 37, Korg Minilogue, Moog Mother-32, DSI MEK, Waldorf Blofeld, Korg Monologue, Alesis Ion.

Other equipment: Elektron Digitak, Korg Electribe Sampler II, Squier Jazzmaster, Fender Tele MIJ, and many FX pedals.

dbjungle

Post by dbjungle » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:29 pm

Nothing is as easy as FL Studio.
FL Studio and VSTs that sound like (Prophet 5, Prophet 600, and SH 101)