Using touchscreen to control software synths...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Using touchscreen to control software synths...

Post by b3groover » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Check out this video:

So the guy is using an Open Labs Neko, which is way expensive (and didn't they just go out of business?) but it's pretty damn cool what he's doing with the touchscreen.

Touchscreens are readily available and are not too expensive. Is anybody here using one with a softsynth and if so, how do they work and do they work well? I assume it's all based around how good the drivers are.

Thanks!

valverec

Re: Using touchscreen to control software synths...

Post by valverec » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:06 pm

That's pretty interesting. It's crazy how tall they have to make the keyboard to accommodate that screen size though. What they need to do is develop touch screens that are long and narrow that can go the length of the keyboard.

As to Open Labs, here's what's on their website:

"Thank you for being a customer of Open Labs products. As you probably heard, there are new owners of Open Labs. The primary reason we acquired the assets was the outstanding relationship that the artists and producers had with the old company.

We want to assure you that we are committed to you and the products that allow you to create, produce and perform. We will honor the warranties, orders, and upgrades that were taken by the old company and look forward to servicing your needs in the future.

While the IP is impressive, the products are outstanding, and the customer service is world class, we know that the company is dependent upon you for success. Therefore, we would like to present you an opportunity to upgrade to RiFF 2.0 at a reduced cost. We are offering a 25% discount to all current customers that would like to upgrade the products to RiFF 2.0 in the next 45 days.

Thank you for your support in the past. We look forward to a mutually beneficial relationship going forward.

- The Open Labs Team and Owners"

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 pm

You know the V-Synth has a touchscreen too?

I've used an ipod touch to control softsynths, it's nice and expressive for performance tweaking. An ipad would be even better.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:20 am

richie hawtin has been using ipads live iirc. Not too sure exactly what for...
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:10 am

Here's an article about using cheap touchscreen monitors (the kind they have in fast-food restaurants and the like) in audio applications: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun09/a ... p_0609.htm

I thought about getting one after that article sparked my interest. Then I was discussing it with a friend, and he mentioned an article he'd read (not music specific, just in reference to touchscreen interfaces in general) about how in the process of testing them, interface designers came to the conclusion that unless you're able to angle them properly and use them whilst standing up, or sit them in your lap, they become very arm-fatiguing with continued use.

Makes perfect sense, but it was something I hadn't considered. And when I thought further about my set-up, I decided that a touchscreen wasn't really a practical addition.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Cool video. Ill be purchasing an ipad soon enough to use its music applications and as a controller for Ableton Live. It seems like touchscreens make for great controllers except for the fact that you can use velocity sensitivity.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 am

Korg M3 has a touchscreen as well...

And (I keep stressing this) HP makes a 21.5" multitouch-capable monitor, the L2105tm, that is $300.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 am

The problem with those openlabs boxes is they run standard software/plugins - which are not designed for use with touchscreens..

You really would want a purpose-designed interface that works well with touchscreens I think. (like the midi control interfaces for ipad/lemur/etc)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25 am

That's part of the purpose behind their OpenRiff application is to allow you to map VST controls to an interface designed for a touch screen.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've used an ipod touch to control softsynths, it's nice and expressive for performance tweaking. An ipad would be even better.
There's also Fingerplay MIDI for Android, which does both MIDI and OSC control. Not as slick as TouchOSC yet, but still very usable andd user-configurable.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11