Windows 7?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Windows 7?

Post by trevordutton » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey All,
Just wondering if upgrading the OS on my studio computer would be worth the hassle. Has anyone here noticed a big difference in audio quality since they made the transition to Windows 7?
Also, are VST plugins typically able to survive the jump and run in 7?

skweeegor

Re: Windows 7?

Post by skweeegor » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:39 pm

I've been running Win 7 since release now, and I'm pretty happy with it - HUGE improvement over Vista. Why would there be a difference in audio quality? Just make sure there are Win 7 drivers for your audio interface. All my vst's work fine in Win 7 as well, and I'm running 64 bit so you should be good to go.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 am

A change of OS won't change audio quality.

I upgraded to the 64bit version, everything works fine.

trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Post by trevordutton » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:26 am

Great - good to hear. Thanks guys!

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 am

Just make sure your computer has the power to run it. Although 7 is even more scalable than Vista, an out-of-date computer will not get much benefits from it. A quite powerful computer instead, can benefit greatly of the improved RAM management and multi-core usage of the recent OS's (this was already true with Vista SP1). It's also worth to keep the OS as updated as possible if the machine has to run internet connections, while a DAW-only machine which never does anything else than recording and using VST/is could just run a light XP due to its stable timings. Again, this will no more be the case with newer computers - the benefits from a lightweight OS and good timing would be diminished by worse hardware usage..
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:10 am

The 64bit thing depends on the DAW. Windows 7 can run both 32bit and 63bit DAW's, and a 64bit DAW can't run 32bit VST's and vice versa. If you've got a mix of 64bit and 32bit plugins, you'll need both a 64bit and 32bit DAW to use them all. A good example of this causing problems is actually with Internet Explorer, which is 64bit, and Adobe Flash, for which there is no 64bit version currently available -- as a result if you want to watch or play a Flash video or game on Windows 7 you've got to install a 32bit browser and then install the 32bit version of Adobe Flash. I have a few VST plugins unfortunately that are available as either a 64bit or a 32bit version, but not both, meaning I can't use certain plugins together.

The only other pain in the a*s to learn with Windows 7 is to run everything as an administrator, and when necessary setting each program to run in the compatibility mode it requires -- which ranges from Windows 95 to Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). Occasionally you have to disable visual themes for specific programs in order for them to run properly. All of this is accessed through the compatibility tab in the properties of each executable file.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 am

101 Force wrote:The 64bit thing depends on the DAW. Windows 7 can run both 32bit and 63bit DAW's, and a 64bit DAW can't run 32bit VST's and vice versa. If you've got a mix of 64bit and 32bit plugins, you'll need both a 64bit and 32bit DAW to use them all. A good example of this causing problems is actually with Internet Explorer, which is 64bit, and Adobe Flash, for which there is no 64bit version currently available -- as a result if you want to watch or play a Flash video or game on Windows 7 you've got to install a 32bit browser and then install the 32bit version of Adobe Flash. I have a few VST plugins unfortunately that are available as either 64bit or 32bit version, but not both, meaning I can't use certain plugins together.
This depends on your DAW (host), as some 64-bit hosts support running 32-bit VSTs. For those that don't, there are 64-bit wrappers for 32-bit VSTs

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:01 pm

101 Force wrote:The 64bit thing depends on the DAW. Windows 7 can run both 32bit and 63bit DAW's, and a 64bit DAW can't run 32bit VST's and vice versa. If you've got a mix of 64bit and 32bit plugins, you'll need both a 64bit and 32bit DAW to use them all. A good example of this causing problems is actually with Internet Explorer, which is 64bit, and Adobe Flash, for which there is no 64bit version currently available -- as a result if you want to watch or play a Flash video or game on Windows 7 you've got to install a 32bit browser and then install the 32bit version of Adobe Flash. I have a few VST plugins unfortunately that are available as either a 64bit or a 32bit version, but not both, meaning I can't use certain plugins together.

The only other pain in the a*s to learn with Windows 7 is to run everything as an administrator, and when necessary setting each program to run in the compatibility mode it requires -- which ranges from Windows 95 to Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). Occasionally you have to disable visual themes for specific programs in order for them to run properly. All of this is accessed through the compatibility tab in the properties of each executable file.

Holy s**t! People go through this much after buying an already expensive computer just to make up for Microsoft's shitty programming and OS?!!
bonne chance

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:33 pm

There's nothing to "go through". 32 bit software runs just fine on a 64 bit OS. Not being able to run a 64 bit plug in a 32 bit DAW or vice versa, has nothing to do with Windows or Microsoft, and you'd have the same issues on a 64-bit OS/X system. Furthermore, he's making it sound waaaay more complicated than it is. If 64 bit software is available, use it - if it isn't, use the 32 bit version, it's as simple as that. There's literally no hassle involved here.

As for Internet Explorer, Flash and Win 7 x64 - when you open IE in Win 7 64 bit, the default version to open is the 32-bit, which has no problems running flash so this is a non issue - even then, it's Adobe's fault for not keeping up, not Microsoft's. If the x64 version is opening up for you on default, this is something you must have changed.

As for running everything in Admin, that's actually a step in the right direction as far as security goes and is something that should have been implemented a long time ago. The only reason it's annoying is because Windows users aren't used to it. Logging in to root has been something Linux users have had to do from day 1, and for good reason.

As for their "shitty programming", I assume you've had a look at the source code yourself and are giving your professional opinion, correct? This mindless Microsoft (or Micro$oft, amirite?) bashing has always been retarded. It's funny how a forum who will jump all over someone's a*s for saying a synth has VCO's when they're really DCO's has no shortage of people willing to make uneducated blanket statements on things they clearly don't have much of a clue about.

Shleed
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z

Post by Shleed » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Calm down, calm down. ;)

All 64bit OSes have to emulate in order to get 32bit code running on them. This can cause hassle, but I've yet to experience any. Forget about your old 16bit programs though, it just won't work.

Funny enough though, I managed to get more old software running on 7 than I did on Vista.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 pm

I simply won't stand for an Irishman telling me, a Canadian, to calm down. ;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:48 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Holy s**t! People go through this much after buying an already expensive computer just to make up for Microsoft's shitty programming and OS?!!
Yes, there definitely haven't been and compatibility problems with Apple's switch to 64-bit... :lol:

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:56 pm

I don't have any hate for Apple, and I love the iPhone, but their marketing is hilarious.

Re: OS/X and 64-bit:
64-bit computing used to be the province of scientists and engineers, but now this generational shift in computing gives all users the tools to apply the power of 64-bit to speed up everything from everyday applications to the most demanding scientific computations. Although Mac OS X is already 64-bit capable in many ways, Snow Leopard takes the next big step by rewriting nearly all system applications in 64-bit code¹ and by enabling the Mac to address massive amounts of memory. Now Mac OS X is faster, more secure, and completely ready for the future.
Wow, scientists and engineers you say? Generational shift in computing? THE FUTURE?! I'm sold.

Shleed
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z

Post by Shleed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:04 am

Just typical marketing (creative bullshit), pretty much most businesses do this. Apple just seems to be VERY good at doing that.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am

I'm not sure if it's anything to do with Windows 7 or just user error, but I can't seem to get Windows7 to work with both ASIO and my Tascam interface (US122). It's either one or the other, so I can either listen to what I'm recording thru my PC speakers with high latency, or listen thru the headphone jack on my Tascam with low latency.