Bad News for Software Users

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
101 Force

Bad News for Software Users

Post by 101 Force » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:40 am

I first saw this on a gaming software website, but if you live in USA and use music software this does not look good for music software. Basic 'jist: You don't buy software, you buy a license to use it, therefore it's not legal to buy and sell used software, and depending on the license agreement it may not be legal to use it for certain purposes, such as creating sample CD's, loops or romplers for commercial purposes.

Article in question: Consumer Rights: Court Rules Against Used Software Sales

A second article on the same topic: Court ruling threatens used game sales in US
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Bad News for Software Users

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:07 am

101 Force wrote:I first saw this on a gaming software website, but if you live in USA and use music software this does not look good for music software. Basic 'jist: You don't buy software, you buy a license to use it, therefore it's not legal to buy and sell used software, and depending on the license agreement it may not be legal to use it for certain purposes, such as creating sample CD's, loops or romplers for commercial purposes.

A second article on the same topic: Court ruling threatens used game sales in US
That's really nothing new, its all in the policies of the individual company and their policy on resales. Some builders allow lisence transfers, some don't.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:09 am

Ashe37 wrote:
101 Force wrote:I first saw this on a gaming software website, but if you live in USA and use music software this does not look good for music software. Basic 'jist: You don't buy software, you buy a license to use it, therefore it's not legal to buy and sell used software, and depending on the license agreement it may not be legal to use it for certain purposes, such as creating sample CD's, loops or romplers for commercial purposes.

That's really nothing new, its all in the policies of the individual company and their policy on resales. Some builders allow lisence transfers, some don't.
Exactly what I was going to say.

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:28 am

According to the article as recently as 2009 a US court had ruled it was legal to sell used software, based on a legal precedent set 102 years ago, but there were other court cases upholding that ruling before 2009. It's only today, in the appeals court, that it has been ruled illegal to buy and sell used software.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:30 am

For a start you're talking about US law, which doesn't apply to the rest of the world. A company like Ableton isn't going to stop allowing you to transfer licences to other users just because of what a US court says. They generate considerable goodwill by allowing you to do so.

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:36 pm

It will lead to:

Ballpoint pen for sale for $500! Includes FREE copy of (Software Title).

cheers,
Ian

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Most software requires activation, which is a service from the company...

Really, no matter what the courts rule, the software manufacturers that don't want to allow license transfers will find a way to A) Deny support to 2nd hand users and B) Make that support somehow necessary to use the software in an uncrippled way.

Other software manufacturers will continue to allow license transfers regardless of whether they're "allowed" to deny them...

It's not a big deal. Software is cheap and you get to demo it before you buy it. I sold/traded a grand total of one piece of software, and if I couldn't have traded it, I would've held onto it and wouldn't have been too shaken up over it (I didn't even really want to get rid of it so much as I wanted to get zebra 2, which is what I traded it for)

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:36 am

yeah nobody GAF what the courts say..
used software has been and is still traded/bought/sold, nobody is gonna stop that. Most companies offer a license transfer service.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:07 am

aeon wrote:It will lead to:

Ballpoint pen for sale for $500! Includes FREE copy of (Software Title).

cheers,
Ian
:lol: so true.
remember what happened to the game spore when they tried to make it super uncopy able? it became the most pirated software for that year. to this day there are games like mirror's edge that put something on your computer that sort of turns your software purchase into a rental, and alot of people are boycotting those games on the pc. if they think people aren't buying their software legitimately now, they certianly aren't going to start after something like that gets imposed. and will it stop pirates? not a chance. all it's going to do is chase off people who were going to pay for it, but are having second thoughts due to the restrictions.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 am

^hehe. . yeah people started pirating spore on purpose because they hated the system so much, go consumer power!!

That's the same thing they do for selling game accounts for Eve Online - $500 postcard of iceland with username and password written on the back of it.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 am

I would gladly sell my copies of Minimonsta and Oddity as I realise that I am not inspired by softwares at all. They sound good, but they are not my cup of tea. So basically, I am stuck with them, right?

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Not necessarily, depends entirely on G-Media's policies - maybe contact them. What a US court says has sweet FA to do with it.