so who's shelled out for an iPad?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

so who's shelled out for an iPad?

Post by space6oy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm

& what's your take? pretty sure i'm gonna get one but am not sure how many GB to go for... also paranoid about how they'll probably put out some new version a week after i do...

Esus

Re: so who's shelled out for an iPad?

Post by Esus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

space6oy wrote:also paranoid about how they'll probably put out some new version a week after i do...
C'mon, that's a given. ;)

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:36 pm

happens to me every time!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:07 pm

space6oy wrote:happens to me every time!

Ive noticed its around july/august time each year, I always try to prepare for it, but then started to realise the best preparation is to not even bother.... hence why I dont have a new iphone or ipad.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 pm

friend of mine who does keep up on all the gossip said all he's heard is they might come out w/ something near christmas.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:09 pm

space6oy wrote:friend of mine who does keep up on all the gossip said all he's heard is they might come out w/ something near christmas.
I'm thinking the next step for the MacBook Pro & iPad line is the retina display. For iPad, also the increased memory to match iPod touch & iPhone 4. It's weird, the iPad is so far behind even though they were released a few months apart. :roll:
bonne chance

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 am

My musical comrade is heavily plugged into the Mac world, he told me to wait until Gen 3. Pretty sure he knows what's up, as he has run his own Mac gig for years now in Chicago. He has clients like Bill Wrigley Jr.(yeah as in Wrigley Gum, Field..etc) who buy things as soon as they come out, because he has stupid amounts of cash to blow. So I generally get hand-me-downs after the newer versions drop. Otherwise I'd be hosed just like Spaceboy, buying the day before the new version came out! :shock:

http://www.mac-md.com/

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 am

hmmm dammit i was excited guys. actually appreciate you furthering my paranoia though... maybe i'll try to wait it out...

grr.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:54 am

I don't get the whole "they put out a new version, I no longer like mine" thing that people do. A new version of something doesn't take anything away from the old version, your older model can still do everything it used to be able to do when you bought it. I can understand that you might be a little peeved that you paid for something and then a week later a more powerful one came out for the same price or with some better feature or whatever, but the good thing with Apple is that if that happens you can take it back and swap it for the new one, +- the price difference. Oh, and there are heaps of websites that will give you info on what and when they're planning on updating. The current rumour floating around is there will be an update soon to make the ipad look more like the iphone 4, and there is a 7" ipad not too far away.

It's funny that people always level this at Apple, when in actual fact OTHER COMPANIES UPDATE THEIR PRODUCTS TOO!!!! Just as much, in fact often more. I built a Shuttle machine to run Linux on at work and then when we wanted to get another one the same to run a mirrored setup it was tricky getting all the same parts, only a couple of months later.

Anyway, back to the topic. I haven't got an ipad although I'm kind of interested in getting one to run music stuff on. A friend of mine uses one for his live show (controlling Live on a laptop) and the results he gets from it are pretty great. It's like having a Lemur but at a quarter the price, and it's wireless. When you look at the price of an ipad plus jasuto pro and then compare it to what other synths you can get for that price it's a pretty compelling argument to get one. In fact I'm almost convincing myself to get one right now.

Re: Capacity, it really depends on what you're using it for. If you want to download and watch movies on it then you're gonna need a lot of space. If you want to use it mostly as a controller and for audio stuff and for playing games, not so much space. If you want to keep all your music on it and use it like a big ipod then you'll probably need more space. Personally I think they're a bit big to be truly portable as a music player, and I don't really need something to watch movies on so I'd go with a smallish one I reckon.

I think that when someone releases an app that you can DJ with, something like Live but with only playback capabilities, I won't be able to stop myself from buying one. Even Beatmaker on an ipad would be pretty awesome.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 am

f**k h**l, I'm not in china but I can see a great wall...

;)
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I would wait until they put out a version that's more than just a gigantic iphone. Or better yet, wait for Asus' response to iPad: the Eee Pad. Stupid name, I know, but IMO it looks better in almost every way.

Not trying to instigate a PC vs Mac war here. Those are stupid. I just honestly think that the iPad in it's current form is way too expensive for the limited amount it offers. At least wait until the v2 or 3 like Bhrama suggested.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:22 pm

I am considering one, but I am going to wait a bit and (perhaps) get one when I order a new Mac.

Thing is, I am working within a budget, and I really want to do the computer properly, so I don't know if I will be willing to shift coin around, or save a bit longer.

The iPad is certainly a big deal with clients as it concerns photographic review, and is easier to carry and pass around than a laptop. I'd appreciate if they get a Retina display and more memory into it. Do that, and it might persuade me.

cheers,
Ian

mute

Post by mute » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I don't get the whole "they put out a new version, I no longer like mine" thing that people do. A new version of something doesn't take anything away from the old version, your older model can still do everything it used to be able to do when you bought it. I

Simple. We work in multimedia. Multimedia software always pushes the boundries of required resources. For a recent example, the new ReacTable Mobile only performs well on the new iPhone 4 and the iPad... on the 3GS (not a year old) it runs like c**p, and older models... forget about it. Early models have a bad habbit of burning those of us interested in music or video composition, performance, control, etc. This hasn't been as much of an issue with PCs in recent years because their performance's shelf life exceed more than 2-3 years, unlike a mobile device. h**l it's even hurt on the Macbooks because of their slow pace @ updating specs (and cost) year to year. Being cautious is wise. Besides that, getting rid of your older mobile device is much more of a pain than getting rid of an old laptop, netbook or pc/mac.. and do you really want 2 iPads sitting around in a year? iPads are temptingly affordable, but I'm myself waiting to see what comes in the next year (apple or not).
Last edited by mute on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:08 pm

tl;dr

I heard the next version is a smaller screen, sort of a cross between ipod touch and ipad.

have played one, it would be cool as a controller, some apps are cool. I'm getting an ipod touch 4g simply because of the number of devices it can replace and is a fun music app to boot. I just got new wifi drivers for my laptop that bring the latency down low enough that I can run wifi & usb audio at the same time, so things like touchOSC just became a useable reality for me.. very excited.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm

i bought the iPad, it mainly gets used when i travel internationally. it's a great size for airplanes.