so who's shelled out for an iPad?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: so who's shelled out for an iPad?

Post by gcoudert » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 am

The iPad is just a glorified iPod Touch with a larger screen. I'm an iPhone 3G user so I don't see the point of the iPad. Nor do I intend to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4; they won't add anything useful to my phone.
GC

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:34 pm

gcoudert wrote:The iPad is just a glorified iPod Touch with a larger screen. I'm an iPhone 3G user so I don't see the point of the iPad. Nor do I intend to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4; they won't add anything useful to my phone.
if you heavily used apps like jasuto, touchosc, nanostudio, beatmaker, isyn, etc. you would understand the benefit and point of having a larger screen.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 pm

th0mas wrote:
gcoudert wrote:The iPad is just a glorified iPod Touch with a larger screen. I'm an iPhone 3G user so I don't see the point of the iPad. Nor do I intend to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4; they won't add anything useful to my phone.
if you heavily used apps like jasuto, touchosc, nanostudio, beatmaker, isyn, etc. you would understand the benefit and point of having a larger screen.
agreed, & i've had an iphone for almost two years now.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:56 am

th0mas wrote:
Well, that's the thing: I don't! I'm very much an old-fashioned hardware person so when they release a MIDI/audio interface for the iPad so I can connect my rig to it, I may consider buying one!
GC

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

gcoudert wrote: Well, that's the thing: I don't! I'm very much an old-fashioned hardware person so when they release a MIDI/audio interface for the iPad so I can connect my rig to it, I may consider buying one!
AFAIK, both audio and midi interfaces are in fact available for ipads (and iphones and ipods)...

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:12 pm

midi is, but don't think there's an audio adapter for the ipad yet. apparently its dock connector is different.

http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2010/ip ... t-options/

Slashe50
Gear: Yamaha DX11
Casio HT-3000
Apple iPod Touch
Korg MINI-KP
Several guitars

Post by Slashe50 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:28 pm

I have an iPod with Morphwiz, Filtatron, Bebot, and various other music apps on it right now :P I'm not shelling out for an iPad though.
I'm a synth newborn, a stillborn if not.

...ew.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 am

yea i got a couple of them. Bought one then won one ahaha. Its actually quite fun - great app on there called MiniSynth Pro - had a lot a fun playing around with it, and i made some neat sounds. Didnt really dive into it that much, but it was great for traveling.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 am

Stalfosia wrote:man, thanks.. :)

I hope you like it.
It's just fun. That's all.
It won't replace your laptop or synths or VSTs, etc...
It's just a nice lil device for being creative...
and I tend to use it most when I'm not at home.

This is a horrible demo, but the app here is my "go to" when
my friends are jamming out on guitars, etc... and I want to join in:

MiniSynth Pro

again, just a fun thing.

def check out those "strange agency" apps.
I'm planning on sampling a lot from those two iPad native apps
for some upcoming music I'm writing.
The Space app creates some nice, raw tones.
yea this is what i was talking about. pretty fun.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Does anyone know if there are any "pure" MIDI sequencers in the works or available? So far, everything is a synth with a half-a*s sequencer tacked on.

I would love to see something akin to Sonar or Cubase with multiple tracks, arrangeable clips, automation lanes, etc.

Anyone have any comments on how solid the timing is for the iPad?

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Well it's just my prediction that as music software evolves it will become better and better on the iPad as well, since it is essentially using softsynths same as any computer can, with the nice feature of playing them right there on a small keyboard - so I wouldnt rule it out. Personally havent used any iPad sequencers but The apps I have used have all been great.

EDIT: Also I have this propellerhead app that I believe has a sequencer - can't remember it's name right now since I haven't used it in a bit, but it might suit your needs I dunno.

monoman

Post by monoman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 pm

My brother has one... I will admit the Korg MS-20 iPad app was pretty cool. Although I still think it is more fun to just mess with a Monotron vs. software. I didn't get to try the Electribe app but my guess is that it would be even cooler!

Yodhan
Gear: DSI Mopho Keyboard, Korg Monotron, Microkorg, Arturia Experience Player, Reason 5
Band: Prototype Messiah

Post by Yodhan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 am

Alesis has just announced their iPad SudioDock Pro that looks pretty sweet. I am going to wait for a couple reviews, but it might just be the piece of gear that will push me over the edge to get one. I really like a lot of the synth apps, like iMS-20, Rebirth, and Jasuto, but have always wanted some MIDI control over them. I also don't like the lack of headroom from the headphone out jack. This would solve both problems.

Theokretes
Gear: JUNO-60, Jupiter-4, JV-1080, CS2x

Post by Theokretes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 am

My friend, who knows I'm a music man, got a few music apps on his iPad for me to try out.

Here's what I think:
#1 developers attempting to make the iPad the "ultimate solution" for music creation. I find it's limited really... you can do everything it can do with a computer, and more. Sure it's portable: but for professional music development, I highly recommend you stay in your studio rather on the bus or something. I can't imagine some guy strapping a bunch of rack modules on his back & connecting them to his iPad.
#2 limited ports: I require a lot of audio ports to get anywhere. Don't think ASIO would work well with it? Whatever the case, I'm not going to even attempt to connect my entire studio to it... and that's what a lot of the apps seem to imply (the virtualized fender amps really made me laugh though: okay, have fun with virtual amps).
#3 touch screen isn't big enough (okay so the newer iPads will support something greater than 1024x768: the issue is a bigger screen, not DPI)... and inaccurate. I have small fingers too and those knobs and sliders are still difficult for me to get. I've always thought virtual knobs were funny... it's like a weak attempt to making you think it's real, I'd rather have, say, a numerical representation -- may as well use the advantages of [precise] virtual interfaces :p

And that's pretty much it.
If you want portability for music, I'd suggest a laptop instead of the iPad.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Thread resurrection!

has anyone used a midi controller for hardware synths on the ipad? I've been messing with the software at ctrlr.org and I love it, I just now have to brush up on my sysex..... Anyway: I'm definitely getting an ipad at some point, but the major impetus would be a mobile control surface for controlling hardware synths inside of my studio (bedroom). I saw "midi touch" as well as a few other app based editors and wondered if any of you guys are user and if you have any insights. I can see paying for an app that lets me make a software editor for any piece of hardware. I CAN'T see paying for every individual software editor. I'd rather buy bait and teach myself how to fish 8-)

http://iosmidi.com/apps/midi-touch/