Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
User avatar
7Hz
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by 7Hz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 pm

I am looking for an Open Source or free sequencer that can run VSTs.

It doesn't need to be anything too advanced, I'd like to use it in a small portable laptop for some fun.

I already have Polyiblit as a freeware VSTI.

A free sampler / drum machine VSTI would be good as well.

Thanks!
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

LBN
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:02 pm

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by LBN » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Macaw is one. Pretty full featured.

http://code.google.com/p/macaw/

Reaper 0.999 is free to use. It's kind of old but is still pretty complete.

http://reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=0x

Zynewave Podium has a free version. It has a few limitations but seems like the major features are intact. I haven't been able to get it to run on my machine because it always crashes while scanning my VST folder.

http://www.zynewave.com/download.html

LMMS is pretty cool. Started life as a Linux host but now ported to Windows. Kind of FL Studio-like.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 am

If you're just planning on playing around for a while the demo versions on programs are more than satisfactory. The renoise Demo is fully featured with the exception that you can't render tracks. Similar deal with the FL studio demo.

The reaper demo is entirely fully featured including track rendering.
www.reaper.fm

LBN
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:02 pm

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by LBN » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 am

For a sampler it's hard to beat Shortcircuit. It used to be commercial but is now free.

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Tatapoum is a drum sampler modeled after Redrum from Reason.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=show&id=1910

And if you need drum machine samples to go in it...

http://www.hexawe.net/mess/200.Drum.Machines/

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 am

If you're fine with instead of using VST's, using buzz machines. Jeskola buzz is VERY powerful. fairly impenetrable interface though
http://www.buzzmachines.com/
(deadmau5's, kick comes from an FM buzz generator ;) )

User avatar
roon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:54 am
Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays
Location: Poland

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by roon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 pm

tekkentool wrote:If you're fine with instead of using VST's, using buzz machines. Jeskola buzz is VERY powerful. fairly impenetrable interface though
http://www.buzzmachines.com/
(deadmau5's, kick comes from an FM buzz generator ;) )
Actually, you can host VST/VSTi's (and DX/DXi's as far as i remember)in Buzz pretty well. That is, if you do not require automation and stuff. But other than that, it'll work perfectly as far as simple hosting goes.
There was a time not so long ago that I worked only in Buzz (few years before Oskari found his old source codes and started developing this thing again), and the results were pretty much astonishing. There was no thing that couldn't been done with that monstrosity. Great piece of software, it was :)

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:32 pm

roon wrote:
tekkentool wrote:If you're fine with instead of using VST's, using buzz machines. Jeskola buzz is VERY powerful. fairly impenetrable interface though
http://www.buzzmachines.com/
(deadmau5's, kick comes from an FM buzz generator ;) )
Actually, you can host VST/VSTi's (and DX/DXi's as far as i remember)in Buzz pretty well. That is, if you do not require automation and stuff. But other than that, it'll work perfectly as far as simple hosting goes.
There was a time not so long ago that I worked only in Buzz (few years before Oskari found his old source codes and started developing this thing again), and the results were pretty much astonishing. There was no thing that couldn't been done with that monstrosity. Great piece of software, it was :)
Horrible interface though :evil: and it crashes like a b***h...

User avatar
7Hz
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by 7Hz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks for the ideas ppl.

I have Reaper running now with Polylblit and Shortcircuit, seems to be doing what I want :-)
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

User avatar
roon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:54 am
Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays
Location: Poland

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by roon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:57 am

tekkentool wrote:Horrible interface though :evil: and it crashes like a b***h...
After resurecting the developement of Buzz in 2008, Oskari put a lot of his coding to get rid of all the glitches and crashes. Buzz nowadays is much more stable than it used to be before. But still, it's not perfect. Buzz is completely free and complex environment that was put on hold for like 8 years in its relatively early stage, with a huge number of third party machines that are not always coded neatly - there are bound to be glitches and crashes i think. But still, it's free and for that i think its as good as it can be.
Interface though... Yeah, it is horrible, but i liked it in some twisted way. Love the tracker concept :lol:

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:37 am

roon wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Horrible interface though :evil: and it crashes like a b***h...
After resurecting the developement of Buzz in 2008, Oskari put a lot of his coding to get rid of all the glitches and crashes. Buzz nowadays is much more stable than it used to be before. But still, it's not perfect. Buzz is completely free and complex environment that was put on hold for like 8 years in its relatively early stage, with a huge number of third party machines that are not always coded neatly - there are bound to be glitches and crashes i think. But still, it's free and for that i think its as good as it can be.
Interface though... Yeah, it is horrible, but i liked it in some twisted way. Love the tracker concept :lol:
Yeah i'm a huge tracker fan too :), been using renoise as my main sequencer for about a year now :) and couldn't be happier. i'd like the Buzz VST actually...

mute
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by mute » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:50 pm

The VST Host for Buzz, Polac VST (PVST) is one of the best hosts out there.. not to mention we're talkin a modular host here ;] It supports every VST feature under the sun..

Someone mentioned something about Automation... eh, VST Automation in Buzz is cake:


As for it's UI,... it is what you make of it. My Buzz looks like this:

Image

User avatar
roon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:54 am
Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays
Location: Poland

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by roon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 pm

mute wrote:The VST Host for Buzz, Polac VST (PVST) is one of the best hosts out there.. not to mention we're talkin a modular host here ;] It supports every VST feature under the sun..

Someone mentioned something about Automation... eh, VST Automation in Buzz is cake:


As for it's UI,... it is what you make of it. My Buzz looks like this:

Image
This looks NICE! Do you care to share what skins etc were used?

As for automation - yeah, it was me who said there's no auto for vst's. But as I said - I've been using buzz 'seriously' quite a few years ago, when there really was no support for auto in buzz. Later, when there came Buzz08 I didn't bother to run VSTs in it. But apparenty You re right, so I am sorry for my mistake. My bad :/

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Very nice mute :D, though i wasn't so much referring to the looks of the UI but the functionality.

mute
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by mute » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:47 pm

roon wrote:
mute wrote:The VST Host for Buzz, Polac VST (PVST) is one of the best hosts out there.. not to mention we're talkin a modular host here ;] It supports every VST feature under the sun..

Someone mentioned something about Automation... eh, VST Automation in Buzz is cake:


As for it's UI,... it is what you make of it. My Buzz looks like this:

Image
This looks NICE! Do you care to share what skins etc were used?

As for automation - yeah, it was me who said there's no auto for vst's. But as I said - I've been using buzz 'seriously' quite a few years ago, when there really was no support for auto in buzz. Later, when there came Buzz08 I didn't bother to run VSTs in it. But apparenty You re right, so I am sorry for my mistake. My bad :/
VST automation has always worked ;] Back in 2002 it worked more or less the same way. The theme there in that picture is something I've made custom. I haven't released it because a friend and I have added code to part of the project that is Open Source (its more than just a skin.. adds several features) and Oskari is currently changing/adding some of that work, so some things will change and I'll have to update. I've been tempted to make a version of it for Buzz without the mods tho, I've just been too busy lately..

User avatar
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Open source / freeware PC sequencer that can run VSTs?

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Used to love Jeskola Buzz. Grew thoroughly sick of the tracker interface, though - having done my time on FastTracker, and ProTracker before that - I practically begged the author to add a regular sequencer. He wasn't having any of that.

Absolutely amazing sounds, though. Spent hours and hours experimenting with the granular synth.

Post Reply