Moog Filtatron

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Dissolution_99

Moog Filtatron

Post by Dissolution_99 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 am

IM BACK!

I used to post here like 5 years ago and I figured I would make my way back lol. (And i had like over 5,000 posts, somehow its saying i have like 70, so whatever. )

So, I got a question about moog filtatron. I just downloaded it on my ipod touch 4g and im dying to use it with some of my hardware stuff. I need to figure out how to put a line in into my ipod without having to spend like 30 bucks for an iRig. Anyone know anything?

thanks in advance guys, im glad im back!

-D_99
TBA

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Moog Filtatron

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:28 am

Get a component video out cable, the yellow should be line in. I haven't tested this, but it should work.

Dissolution_99

Post by Dissolution_99 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:11 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Get a component video out cable, the yellow should be line in. I haven't tested this, but it should work.
Ive been reading about doing that and i have come to the same conclusion... it shouldddd work. i think im gunna order a 3.5 to rca cable and hope it works?

anyone else have any other ideas or confirms of this?
TBA

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm

i'm currently doing the same thing as you want to do, it's my morning project for today.

it won't work without hacking the cable (the audio/video one). because the ground is the sleeve but for the apple cable it's the mic:
From here

that filtatron sounds very nice. the drive and feedback with the crappy mic inside the cheap headset from apple sound terrific!
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

organsymphony
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion

Post by organsymphony » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:16 pm

honestly I think its worth it just to get iRig to skip all the hassle of trying to figure it out and having a botched together cable. its designed specifically for the task of getting audio in and its probably going to cost you nearly, if not just as much to get a cable which you'd be hacking up to try and get it to work.

There's also the PRS guitarbud which I think is a little cheaper.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/prs-guitar ... uch--72096

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:29 pm

i know it would easier. but i just don't want to pay 30$ for a cable. with nothing fancy in it.

i got the video cable for 5$ at a local store and hacked it with stuff laying around the desk.
30 min done
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Dissolution_99

Post by Dissolution_99 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:54 pm

yea hacking is totally the way to go lol. thanks for the psuedo-schematic. I do a lot of electronic building and modding (especially guitars) so this will be a breeze. thanks for the heads up!!!
TBA

novielo

Post by novielo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 am

no problem.

did that thing today, it took 20 min and i have to say that i'm quite impressed by the sound quality of the ad/da. seems very promising as a multi-fx when tracking.

i don't know why but i getting more interested at working with apps on the ipod then vst on the computer... isn't that odd?

organsymphony
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion

Post by organsymphony » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Thats really cool. I guess for me i'd actually be interested in the irig app due to playing t'old six string myself.

But if that hack works for you thats cool!

I know what you mean about using the iphone/ipod to process audio instead of a vst on the computer too. I wonder if its because it feels like more hands on control. Its not on the same screen therefore we feel like we have an extra piece of hardware :D

Logic and TouchOSC recently released updates so they now both talk to each other natively and the preset for logic they included has actually made recording more fun. Instead of having to walk back from the theremin to the computer to start/stop recording or mute the theremin channel (to stop it whining at me for leaving it) I can do it from my phone from the other side of the room. And this is just a helluva lot more fun for me. Same goes for processing stuff through filtatron or playing a melody on bebot as opposed to a keyboard.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 pm

So if you lot are using this, maybe you could check something for me...

The instructions suggest that the sampler can load files up to around 2 minutes in length. As far as I can tell though it only seems to be playing the first 15 seconds or so of recordings loaded into it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... :roll:

I'm using an iPod Touch 3rd Gen, iOS 4.1. Anyone want to give it a go? Just record about a minute in the sampler and load the file in.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Who else is using this? It's fun as s**t and has an absolutely gorgeous interface imo. I don't care that it isn't retina resolution either, and don't know why a bunch of reviewers on iTunes do. One problem I am experiencing is the sound through earpiece and not main speaker, reducing volume dramatically. Anyone else experiencing it?

Aside from that, does anyone think it'd be possible (if Moog chose to do it) to make a few different apps like MoogerFoogers and making some sort of way for them to use each other, even as separate apps, or would it be better to just have in app addons?
bonne chance

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I think one of the app store reviewers mentioned the idea of adding a step sequencer. That would be nice...

I'm still asking as well, can anyone test out the sampler? Can you get it to play back more than a rather short loop, say something like 1 minute, which should be reasonable. Just record for a minute and load it back in. Would like to know if this is a general problem or if it's something related to particular setups. I'm using an iPod Touch 3rd Gen (32Gb) and iOS 4.1.

Thanks kids.

Slashe50
Gear: Yamaha DX11
Casio HT-3000
Apple iPod Touch
Korg MINI-KP
Several guitars

Post by Slashe50 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 am

organsymphony wrote:honestly I think its worth it just to get iRig to skip all the hassle of trying to figure it out and having a botched together cable. its designed specifically for the task of getting audio in and its probably going to cost you nearly, if not just as much to get a cable which you'd be hacking up to try and get it to work.

There's also the PRS guitarbud which I think is a little cheaper.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/prs-guitar ... uch--72096
I heard that thing was flimsy as s**t.
I'm a synth newborn, a stillborn if not.

...ew.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 pm

masstronaut wrote:I think one of the app store reviewers mentioned the idea of adding a step sequencer. That would be nice...

I'm still asking as well, can anyone test out the sampler? Can you get it to play back more than a rather short loop, say something like 1 minute, which should be reasonable. Just record for a minute and load it back in. Would like to know if this is a general problem or if it's something related to particular setups. I'm using an iPod Touch 3rd Gen (32Gb) and iOS 4.1.

Thanks kids.
I'm using a 32gb iPhone 4 with latest OS, and I'm not experiencing any problems. I just put in some samples I took in BeatMaker.
bonne chance

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Nice one, thanks for the report.

Bit of a strange one then. I've only used recordings I've made in Filtertron itself though. You've have managed to get samples of around a minute or more to play back fine?