Albums made mainly with Softsynths

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
japan

Albums made mainly with Softsynths

Post by japan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi folks: I was wondering what albums have been made mainly with softsynths,because this is the better way to judge this technology, IMHO.

Regards.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Albums made mainly with Softsynths

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:06 pm

In the 80's it was cool to mention the Fairlight or Memorymoog you've used, in the booklet of an album, because having such equipment meant you were elite. But recently? Who cares about mentioning a softsynth everyone else has? It's not special to own a softsynth anymore so it's not typical to mention it in the booklet of an album. I mean, who cares that artist X uses Komplete? Everyone else uses it too.

So, how are we supposed to know the answer? :P

You don't need an artist's approval to use softsynths, nor are artists always right. Use your brains and judge a softsynth based on what it sounds like. That's it, and that's all.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

japan

Post by japan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm not so sure about this, because artists like Richard Barbieri or Four Tet are strong supporters of softsynths, and they don't feel ashamed by using them. It's important mentioning the softsyhths that "everyone else has", because it makes the point more interesting, about the personal skills with identical software synthesizers. I was thinking about interviews to musicians, who could talk about albums recording using softsynths. The approval is not needed, I use softsynths every day, I'm just curious about the use of softsynths by interesting artists of these days. ;)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:11 pm

pal of mine made his entire first solo album just using software. not really a type of music i'm very into, but i definitely was impressed by it.

http://soundcloud.com/shapeless-shadow

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Besides some real-world samples I'm pretty sure I remember reading the majority of electronic elements of Thom Yorke's The Eraser album were done with various softsynths and Reason.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Elandroth wrote:Besides some real-world samples I'm pretty sure I remember reading the majority of electronic elements of Thom Yorke's The Eraser album were done with various softsynths and Reason.
Wow, really? I love that album. That's impressive.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Correction it was Reaktor not Reason.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Elandroth wrote:Correction it was Reaktor not Reason.
Ah, okay. To be honest, I found it hard to believe that he used Reason (no offense to Reason-users). Reaktor makes more sense :P
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Some movie soundtracks aren't conducted orchestras anymore, and with today's virtual orchestras (and the tight integration of other synths) being the forté of computers, you could say that these recent soundtracks are probably "soft" as well..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:55 pm

japan wrote:Hi folks: I was wondering what albums have been made mainly with softsynths.
Check out the recent MONOLAKE albums such as "Polygon Cities", they were mainly created with software.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Claudio Simonetti told me that he used many plug-ins with Logic Audio and some keyboards like Roland XP-50 etc. for
Goblin's score to Daro Argento's horror-movie Non Ho Sonno aka Sleepless (2000).
Claudio felt he didn't need to use any vintage synths given the quite modern sonorities of the soundtrack.

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

japan

Post by japan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I didn't know the music of Monolake, but I had heard about them. They're good, I like too much this kind of music.

With respect to the music of Argento, it seemed good to my ears, very good indeed.

I like the fact that those who used analog synthesizers in the past honestly acknowledge that they use plug-ins, while the fans talk about this "sacrilege," which is ridiculous. Hard and softsynths can coexist very well.

Thanx guys for the answers, I hope to get more information from you, while I use google.

Regards.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Create - Reflections From The Inner Light http://www.groove.nl/cd/g/gr-109.html

Spacemusic made entirely in Reason 2.0

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:33 am

I think I remember reading Depeche Mode used Native Instruments Massive quite a bit on their latest album (or the one before that).

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 am

I heard that the synth parts on Caribou's last album Swim has been made with softsynths. The sound is pretty good IMHO.
Softsynths can definitely deliver some quality sounds that can be easily enhanced in post-production. It's mostly a matter of taste and inspiration; personnally, I can't stand working with softsynths but if you feel inspired by them, don't let other anybody convince you that they are useless.