Name that soft-sequencer!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Arddhu

Name that soft-sequencer!

Post by Arddhu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 am

Just wondering if someone could ID this sequencer that Astral Projection are using in this video:

Fast forward to 1:32 to have a quick squiz.

Cheers!

101 Force

Re: Name that soft-sequencer!

Post by 101 Force » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:39 am

The "structure" tab is a dead give-away. It's Cubase on the Atari ST. I learned how to use synthesizers with this sequencer. It's cumbersome, but effective. The Atari ST had dedicated MIDI ports, which many claim provides better MIDI timing over a great deal of today's computer-MIDI solutions. The Atari ST version of Cubase hadn't any audio tracks (and VST and the concept of plugins in general hadn't been developed at the time), as it was strictly a MIDI sequencer for use with external gear.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 am

Excellent, thank you!

I was suspecting Cubase or Notator but that solves it.

Thanks again!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 am

101 Force wrote:The "structure" tab is a dead give-away. It's Cubase on the Atari ST. I learned how to use synthesizers with this sequencer. It's cumbersome, but effective. The Atari ST had dedicated MIDI ports, which many claim provides better MIDI timing over a great deal of today's computer-MIDI solutions. The Atari ST version of Cubase hadn't any audio tracks (and VST and the concept of plugins in general hadn't been developed at the time), as it was strictly a MIDI sequencer for use with external gear.
The ST had better timing because its operating system wasn't busy doing a million other things while trying to generate a solid timing clock. Its MIDI hardware was not superior to any modern MIDI interfaces - just the operating system :)

Xores
Gear: Fantom x6; Korg ESX; Vermona mk II Radias; Jp-8000; Monotron; Virus B; Doepfer A-100
Band: ïnjectiön, Xores

Post by Xores » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Thats, interesting!
what would you recommend me to do to have better midi timing on W7?

Are there differences between the sequencers ?

Could you recommend me a sequencer instead of cubase, something like this, strictly sequencer?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm

If you just want to do MIDI sequencing, have you considered using a hardware MIDI sequencer?

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I found Tunafish to be a good no-nonsense sequencer.
Still has the same old Windows problem I guess but it saves a lot of cpu by not doing anything other than the absolute necessary.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 pm

What's wrong with the W7's sequencer?

Like Step wrote, there's always hardware sequencers which are currently dirt cheap on the used market. Many can be found for well under $100.

There are people (especially in the EU) who still use old Ataris and much of the MIDI software has become freeware. There's a small but dedicated culture devoted to keeping old STs up and running. Google around if you're interested.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:37 pm

The Roland MV-8800 is a great hardware MIDI sequencer. Hook up a monitor and mouse and its just like using a computer, except without all the headaches and timing glitches.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:03 am

Did Xores mean W7 as in Windows 7 or W7 as in Yamaha W7?
I interpreted it as Windows but if not, Tunafish doesn't sequence external synths so follow these guys advice!

Xores
Gear: Fantom x6; Korg ESX; Vermona mk II Radias; Jp-8000; Monotron; Virus B; Doepfer A-100

Post by Xores » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 am

Yeah! of course i considered using hardware, but I am busy now buying studio equipment... so lets take time

I was using reaper for a long time,works fine but i finnaly did not like it because its not very precise.
I tried out cubase5 yesterday and it works much better, hey, I am really happy, is there anything it does not have?

I meant windows 7, yeah, I had some bad time while i finished configuring it for audio, but hey, i still got hair on my head!! :lol:

I´m checking out the mashines you mentioned later, have to go to work now...

Have nice day/night!

Xores

Post by Xores » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:54 pm

buff mv-8000 is far too much than just a sequencer, i need simple things doing "one" job...

Something like this:

http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:45 am

Probably should post in the Buyer's Guide then.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Or there's QWS: http://www.andrelouis.com/qws/

DOn't we also need a gear-spotting fest from that Astral Projection video..?

CS-20M for starters.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:59 am

Damn, that "Kabbalah" track is a classic! It sure brings back gooooood memories :D Along with the rest of Astral Projection's stuff from that period, pure bliss