Fairlight CMI app for iPhone.

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Artmuzz
Gear: Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Yamaha TG77, Waldorf Blofeld, Yamaha AN1x

Fairlight CMI app for iPhone.

Post by Artmuzz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Not only has this classic sampler been resurrected for the 21st century but it will soon be available as an app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. I am so excited about this even though it will sell on iTunes for $49

Art
Apple iMac i5, Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Casio CZ101, Yamaha TG77, Yamaha DX7S, Roland JV90, Yamaha AN1X, Kawai K500R, Kawai K4, Casio VZ1, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroKorg, Korg MicroX, Korg O5R/W

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Fairlight CMI app for iPhone.

Post by D-Collector » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Looks cool. Maybe a reason to get an iPhone soon.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 pm

geez 50$!
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Here is a much better video of the iPad version!

http://bcove.me/e28teele

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 pm

wtf they just skip over the pc/laptop/mac markets? Am I missing something again that's already out there?

Artmuzz
Gear: Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Yamaha TG77, Waldorf Blofeld, Yamaha AN1x

Post by Artmuzz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 am

Here is the best video so far of the iPad Fairlight CMI App

Art
Apple iMac i5, Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Casio CZ101, Yamaha TG77, Yamaha DX7S, Roland JV90, Yamaha AN1X, Kawai K500R, Kawai K4, Casio VZ1, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroKorg, Korg MicroX, Korg O5R/W

LBN

Post by LBN » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 pm

garranimal wrote:wtf they just skip over the pc/laptop/mac markets? Am I missing something again that's already out there?
They probably feel that would cannibalize sales of their upcoming new CMI. Why spend $17,000 (or whatever) on a piece of hardware when you can duplicate the functionality in software for $50?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Because the software doesn't give the same sound quality as a real CMI, whereas the 30A has a dial to do that for series I tone through IIx, III all the way to 48 bit or whatever the Crystal Core does.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 am

Fairlight Instruments has released this video for their new app:

Last edited by D-Collector on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:37 pm

It's a very annoying piece of music IMO, typical of library music done on the CMI back in the day, a bunch of chained patterns in Page R. So even if it was not created with the app, it is authentic. ;)

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 am

What I said about the music in the clip was wrong, so I removed it. I basicly misunderstood. I don't want to discredit Fairlight on false premises. Here is the description from YouTube:

"The sound track of this video is also one of the app's built-in demos. 'Octagonalle' was created using original Series II library sounds on the Fairlight iPad app by producer/composer Justin Shave. Shave confronted his first CMI in 2006 when he co-produced Darren Hayes' album "This Delicate Thing We've Made." Darren had decided that the Fairlight was the only instrument which could deliver the '80s sensibility he was seeking, bought one on eBay, and handed it to Shave to tame. The rest is history."

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Ok, I'm kinda getting more and more interested in this. Or at least the nostalgia nerd in me is.

This software seem to have something going for it. It will be MIDI controllable, provided you have an interface, and in the "Pro" version you can "import .WAV files, .AIFF files and .CAF files into your own virtual floppy disk collections, and use them in your instruments", to quote their website. That I like! Add to that the full original libraries of the IIx and series III.

You have the old-school sequencer and a touch screen interface. Imagine a small compact (and highly portable) setup like this:

That's gotta be fun! :shock:

The support section for the App is now up so you can get a good overview over the capabilities. It seems pretty deep. And of course, the iPad is usable for so much more.
Last edited by D-Collector on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 pm

I asked the following on YouTube and Peter Vogel answered swiftly:

Q: Are there any effects to apply to individual channels/instruments? Or will anything made with this be completely dry? Can a track be exported as separate tracks for each instrument?

A: No, there are no effects, just the line output which you can patch into whatever analogue outboard devices you like. The processor is pretty much occupied just playing an 8 track sequence*. Tracks cannot be exported digitally (in this first version, anyway). I guess you could solo each track and then multitrack it - there is no synch but the speed should be very accurate. I expect someone will try it and let us know how it goes!

Peter Vogel

So, based on this it seems that for now this app must be considered a toy / song scetchpad. And a rather expensive one if you don't own the Apple hardware. If they manage to implement a way to export a track as single channels to .wav or something it might become useful.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 am

The App is now released and available on appstore. Here is the first small demo from a customer:

Another one:

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Official tutorial from Fairlight Instruments, part 1: