Soft synth D/A question

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
MitchK1989

Re: Soft synth D/A question

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:45 pm

another note is that when it comes to actual processing and synthesis a higher sample rate matters a lot more than just with recorded audio. It's not just a case of "oh, 44.1 can reproduce any frequency in human hearing, so it's all good" because a lot of actual dsp algos don't perform the same at all rates. Just switch back and forth between 44.1 and 96 with a few different softsynths (ones that don't automatically internally oversample of course) and you'll hear differences (because even though 44.1 should be enough in theory, in practice it sometimes messes with the math because the real world of code and analog emulation isn't that idealized).

As an added bonus, running at 96 also cuts your latency in half (which is awesome, especially since most/all audio interfaces have "safety buffers" which are added to your normal audio buffer, so lowering your buffer size can't touch the amount of latency introduced by the safety buffer which is locked at anywhere from 10 to 1000 samples depending on soundcard... But raising the sample rate can)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually what happens is that some plugins produce aliasing products and don't filter them out. It's just bad programming. Running these at 96kHz just gives aliasing at a different set of frequencies, so it's neither better nor worse. And I'm certain most computers are powerful enough that they can give a low enough latency at 44.1kHz that it's not an issue.

KrisH
Gear: Roland D-50
Roland HS-60
Ensoniq SD-1
Yamaha DX11
Kawai K5
Akai Miniak
Casio DG-20
CME VX5
StudioLogic MP-113
Gateway 4026GZ
Acer Aspire 7720
Band: Hofenakus;Hölt

Post by KrisH » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:15 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:As an added bonus, running at 96 also cuts your latency in half (which is awesome, especially since most/all audio interfaces have "safety buffers" which are added to your normal audio buffer, so lowering your buffer size can't touch the amount of latency introduced by the safety buffer which is locked at anywhere from 10 to 1000 samples depending on soundcard... But raising the sample rate can)
I've noticed this before, and used to run my D/A interface at 88 kHz. Unfortunately, after updating the driver, I'm no longer offered that option. :cry: